Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What makes BOSE sounds so bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am also not a fan of bose; i had a guy tell me once that bose is 90% techno-bable and the rest marketing. you won't find a lot of their stuff in high-end audio/visual stores. i much prefer boston acoustics, def tech, b&w, vienna, martin logan ... damn so many better options (but i'm getting into home audio here). but in the end, you have to listen to it

Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I just want my Bose HU to work. I am on my second one and it still doesn't

Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by cerr
i am also not a fan of bose; i had a guy tell me once that bose is 90% techno-bable and the rest marketing. you won't find a lot of their stuff in high-end audio/visual stores. i much prefer boston acoustics, def tech, b&w, vienna, martin logan ... damn so many better options (but i'm getting into home audio here). but in the end, you have to listen to it
This stuff suck harder than a dyson cyclone. That said replacing the speakers w/ kappas makes a big BIG difference. Tomorrow my sub goes in, that should be good enough, if not I'll rip out the bose amp. The head unit ain't bad, ain't great either but it's passable.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I've looked at the output of the stock HU while paired with an Infinity amp (using an AOEM-NIS2 device) and Diamond Audio speakers using a yamaha RTA and the output was pretty darn flat at volume levels 5-20 on the HU. I didn't push it higher cause it was too loud to bear (with the amp gain up 1/4 only!).

As I recall there was a slight peak at 200 Hz - but not certain that's due to the HU.

I really think the paper cone Nissan speakers is why the sound is so boomy and "loose". If you disconnect the 6x9 and rear speakers, I'm sure your kappa's will sound great for the mid to top-end. You will still need a sub.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 AM
I agree about the Bose; the one in my 05 coupe is actually worse than the one in my old Maxima--and that was mediocre at best. In 10 days I'll be replacing the stock amp with a Diamond; Bostons up front and Diamond 6x9s in rear. Should be an improvement. But then again, tin cans would be an improvement...

Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your diamond amp won't work unless you get a LOC that states it converts balanced differential inputs to single ended inputs. Just FYI.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I was under the impression that it was not as simple as just swapping out amps on the Bose system.

Can anyone say what options are available with keeping the stock HU, but changing out as much as possible otherwise?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um.. there is a sticky at the top of this Audio/Video forum that addresses this completely.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 AM
ahh, no highs no lows... must be bose Seriously, I added an JL10 and a small amp for the sub. Not great but much better than just the stock set-up IMHO.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Lightbulb

The Bose system is what it is because of what Infiniti ALLOWS Bose to put in a car, and the cost restrictions of the system. Auto makers want the best stuff, but they don't want to pay for it. If the FX35 truely does sound better than the G35, it is because the placement of speakers and the components allowed are better.

If the comparison is between a caddy and a G35, again, it only sounds better because GM ALLOWS Bose to put in better stuff, or allows them to put speakers in better locations.

It is true that the Bose amp and speakers are designed to work together. Replacing just the amp or speakers will not improve anything.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by amthar
Um.. there is a sticky at the top of this Audio/Video forum that addresses this completely.
Thanks! Don't come here often (as you can tell )

Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
G SQUAD
BOSE = Buy Other Stereo Equipment

Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Your diamond amp won't work unless you get a LOC that states it converts balanced differential inputs to single ended inputs. Just FYI.
Thanks. I will discuss this tomorrow with the tech doing the install. I would rather have had an amp with balanced inputs, but it's been darn near impossible to find a store that carries one--along with the speakers I want. Also, since I want this amp to fit where the Bose amp sits, there's a space limitation too.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Two pieces:

1. The Bose amp places heavily equalization on its outputs. So if you simply replace the OE speakers with Kappas or whatever, you just have a more expensive speaker playing the same crappy equalized signals.

2. The stock head unit (clarion) is crappy. When you get up past a volume of around 20ish, it rolls the volume and bass off to "protect" the speakers from being blown. The internal processor sucks. If you fade the deck completely to the front you get distortion.

All in all, the system in its entirety "works" because of the little games each piece places with one another. Break it apart, and it only gets worse.

I agree with this assessment.....

doc

Old 02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by el_duderino
I would answer differently.

The Bose system sounds the way it does because:

1) The speakers are crap. Bose is attractive to carmakers because there isn't much cost per car.

2) The amp is low power... which could be an issue when the EQ asks for more power, but in general it's a low-power, high-distortion amp.

3) THe HU isn'tgreat, but it's not terrible.

I would also agree with this assessment....

Have you seen the pictures of the stock speakers?.....Just take a look at them and then you will understand.

Again, the stock HU (which is a Clarion HU) is okay. The stock front and backseat speakers are factory NISSAN speakers, the same ones you would find in a Sentra, Murano, Quest, etc. Remember that the *only* BOSE stuff in the system is the amp and the rear shelf speakers, that's it.

I love having this discussion over and over again, it helps people understand that the entire system is not all BOSE. We should try and differentiate the differences between the quality of each component being its own (Clarion HU, stock Nissan Speakers, Bose amp and Bose "rear subs") and yes, understanding that the system as a whole sucks donkey.

doc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What makes BOSE sounds so bad?