Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Component Speakers-Rear/Front-$800 budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component Speakers-Rear/Front-$800 budget

I wanted suggestions on what component speakers I should get for an $800 budget or $400 per set. Also, will higher end speakers give me good mid-bass. Other systems i've had created no mid-bass. I am going to get Eclipse AVN-5435, component speakers for front and rear, and an amp. Looking to spend $3,000 to $3,500. What else do I need that is necessary (ie capacitor, equilizer).

Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
nice selections

Old 02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Higher end speakers will give you great midbass, IF PROPERLY INSTALLED. Best results are obtained by making the front of the spacer stack seal with foam tape against the back of the door panel. ALso, dampen the door a lot.

Great-sounding HU, BTW.

Do you have a sedan or a coupe?

In the range you describe, I suspect that the DLS UP6 and the CDT set (I forget which one) are what you'll hear about here. The higher-end DLS tweeters won't fit in the sedan and probably won't fit in the coupe either. The UP6 sound great.

The only speakers I know better than the UP6 with a tweeter that I think will fit into the G's location are the Morel Integra or Elate, and those are like twice as much or more (the Elate 6 is $1200 retail, I think the Integra set is like $800).

Do you NEED the rear speakers to be the same as the front? Can't you just go with nice coaxes? (Or no rears at all, and just get better fronts?) Morel makes a point source coax that is like $400 retail, and DLS makes a regular coax that is like $160 retail

Are you installing this yourself?

The capacitor is a function of what amp(s) you get. Ideally you won't need an EQ (a basic EQ is in the 5435).

Old 02-01-2006, 10:08 PM
I am installing CDT ef-61cfi/24 components (for front) and CDT ef-61neox coaxials (for rear) in my G35 sedan. Cost way less than $800.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, el-dude...what do you think of these: BOSTON ACOUSTICS Z6 6.5" COMPONENT SPEAKERS

I like the Pol MOMO MMC6500's I have up front, but I am thinking of upgrading to the BA's. I have BA's in my 300ZXTT, and I really liked them. Different model, of course, since this was about 6 years ago.

Dave

Old 02-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Higher end speakers will give you great midbass, IF PROPERLY INSTALLED. Best results are obtained by making the front of the spacer stack seal with foam tape against the back of the door panel. ALso, dampen the door a lot.

Great-sounding HU, BTW.

Do you have a sedan or a coupe?

In the range you describe, I suspect that the DLS UP6 and the CDT set (I forget which one) are what you'll hear about here. The higher-end DLS tweeters won't fit in the sedan and probably won't fit in the coupe either. The UP6 sound great.

The only speakers I know better than the UP6 with a tweeter that I think will fit into the G's location are the Morel Integra or Elate, and those are like twice as much or more (the Elate 6 is $1200 retail, I think the Integra set is like $800).

Do you NEED the rear speakers to be the same as the front? Can't you just go with nice coaxes? (Or no rears at all, and just get better fronts?) Morel makes a point source coax that is like $400 retail, and DLS makes a regular coax that is like $160 retail

Are you installing this yourself?

The capacitor is a function of what amp(s) you get. Ideally you won't need an EQ (a basic EQ is in the 5435).
Thanks for all the responses. I have a coupe by the way. I've read your opinion on the dls up6 in another post. I was actually leaning towards that buy. I went to my guy today and i told him i wanted the dls up6. He recommends alpine or phoenix gold, but also says dls are good. I kind of want to go with phoneix gold cause its cheaper and i can buy components and a good amp for less money. But havent heard good reviews on that brand. Okay maybe i'm over budgeting. Maybe i should make my budget $1,000 to $1,200 for components and amp. The dls up6 costs $800 but the amp, not too sure which one i should use. What amp do you recommend for the dls up6 for the front and rear components? I think those are 150w rms, no? Do i have to get an amp that is 150w rms/channel. I hear mixed opinions like "100w rms/ch should be plenty to power a 150w rms speaker, " or "your amp should cover the rms rating to maximize your speakers potential." I find it hard to match the rms on the speakers with the rms/ch on the amps wihtout paying $800 for the damn thing like the dls a4 amp.

In regards to getting components all around, I found out that, to me, it makes a big difference in sound projection. I feel as though I get more of a surround sound feel if i have the rear speakers. Not too sure if i need the tweets in the back but i figured might as well. Also, i am not installing myself. Dont know how to install head unit and dont know how to rewire the speaker wires. Basically dont know anything. I'm thinking about bass but maybe later. I think i will be content with my components (if it provides enough bass). But im thinkin about 4080 box and jlw3 or jlw6 (leaning towards jlw3 cause i want tighter bass than boomy bass, or at least i think w3 provides tighter bass). What amp would be sufficient to power the w3?

I thought a capacitor provides that extra power so your lights won't start dimming?

What about the dls ms6 components then i can get the dls ca41 amp?

Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by netwireless
I am installing CDT ef-61cfi/24 components (for front) and CDT ef-61neox coaxials (for rear) in my G35 sedan. Cost way less than $800.
What amp are you running with those comps? And how is the mid-bass. Is it at least present? I went to there website and its $400. I'm sure online retailers offer cheaper.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Sorry guys, but i'm still in the process of learning. I just now understand what coaxials are. I like netwireless's set up and what el duderino suggested. Comps in the front and coaxes in the back. That makes more sense. So off to find my system.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Option 1:
Okay, narrowed it down to dls up6 in front and rear, eclipse avn-5435, and ??? amp. What amp should i get to power these components? If the cost of the amp is too much then i will go for dls up6 in front and dls 426 coaxials in the rear. If i do the latter, and the coaxials are 60w rms and the amp is 100w-4ch or 150w-4ch, will the amp blow out the coaxials? Also, if i go with the latter, which amp should i get?

Option 2:
AVN-5435 HU
CDT Ef-61CF 130w rms (front)
CDT CL-63 Coaxial 90w rms (rear)
What amp should i get for this set up?

El Duderino, I've been reading that you oppose rear speakers. Maybe i'm so used to having rear speakers, but it just sounds better to me. Why are you agianst it? What if you get good rear speakers like "option 1" above? Would that be okay?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer my music to sound as the artist intended. When they recorded the music, they intended the listener's soundstage to be in front of them, not 360 degrees around them. If you were at a concert in the 5th row from the front, would you want huge speakers right behind you in row 6 pointing forwards (at you)? Probably not. First, it would be distracting. Second, you create more possibility for reflections, cancellation, distortion, whatever.

People sell rear speakers as "fill" speakers that make your music more "full" and "rich"... when in fact the rear speakers are compensating for poor equipment up front (where it really matters!)

In all honesty, rear speakers are basically there for two reasons:

1. To help out the front speakers in poor systems
2. To make mindless car owners feel better about their car because "it doesn't make sense to have only front speakers"- because that's all they've ever known growing up.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Forget the components in the rear. Just use some aftermarket coax speakers for the rear as a filler. Heck. I'd just leave the stock ones there. It'll sound much nicer.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
soaplag, I left you a PM.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Agreed, dont need fancy, high $$ comps in the rear. Some kind of coax for fill if that. Spend the extra $$ on nicer front comps and a good, clean high power amp to run them. You wont be disappointed.

BTW I am running Dynaudio 340's in my coupe off a Tru 2.200 and it sounds great.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soaplag
El Duderino, I've been reading that you oppose rear speakers. Maybe i'm so used to having rear speakers, but it just sounds better to me. Why are you agianst it? What if you get good rear speakers like "option 1" above? Would that be okay?
"Stereophonic sound attempts to create an illusion of location for various instruments within the original recording. The recording engineer's goal is usually to create a stereo "image" with localization information. When a stereophonic recording is heard through loudspeaker systems rather than headphones, each ear of course hears sound from both speakers. The audio engineer may and often does use more than two microphones, sometimes many more, and may mix them down to two tracks in ways that exaggerate the separation of the instruments to compensate for the mixture that occurs when listening via speakers.

Descriptions of stereophonic sound tend to stress the ability to localize the position of each instrument in space, but in reality many people listen on playback systems that do a poor job of re-creating a stereo "image". Many listeners assume that "stereo" sound is "richer" or "fuller-sounding" than monophonic sound. This is inaccurate - stereo and mono can have equally detailed abilities to play recorded notes. The spatial illusion is what sets stereo recordings apart from mono recordings.

When playing back stereo recordings, best results are obtained by using two speakers, in front of and equidistant from the listener, with the listener located on the center line between the two speakers."
From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereop...reo_recordings

Here is a good explanation of my approach to "front stage".

http://www.avincar.com/avincar_approach.html

That surround sound "feel" you get is only a feel - that's it. Stereo is 2-channel left and right, and it's recorded with the intent to create a stereo illusion in front of you. We are often used to rear speakers sounding more pleasing, because as kids we had speakers right behind us in Dad's car. As a personal preference, that's fine - but it's not more accurate and it's not better - it's just our preference.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:52 PM
el duderino - youre obviously not "into the whole brevity thing" are you

With great sounding front stage there is no need for the rears. Other than DTS or Dolby Digital playback for DVDs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Component Speakers-Rear/Front-$800 budget