Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The climate control/OEM HU you took out of the dash had a dual zone button on the PCB.

As is documented here (where I learned it), if you desolder the PCB switch and solder in onto the supplied climate controls PCB, you get dual zone operation on the new unit. The JDM unit is simply missing the switch and corresponding button. Switch looks a lot like an alarm transmitter switch, but lower profile. Cool thing to do...

Yeah, I know Stephen and Dwayne a bit. Talked to Dwayne about OEM integration in an Acura about a year ago. The UR6s sounds really dry in a door, and is really optimized for enclosure operation. I'm always a little hesitant to try the old "watch me pull an aperiodic variovent out of my butt" trick when I don't know the resultant enclosure tuning, but with those speaks it's a pretty low-risk approach.

I take it you're referring to the 150 Hz control on the AVIC EQ?

Old 02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Meth68
Awesome install, you have to give us a price for equip and install? I have been thinking about doing a godofcpu carputer using streetdeck. I am ify only because I am not sure if i want to rip apart my coupe. I have (2) 12" kove audio armageddon subs, 400x2 / 50x4 orion xtr amps, (2) avi 6.5", (2) avi 10" (who remembers avi? I always loved their sound so I kept them) If i do the carputer I may just go for it all and get it over with in 1 shot.

did someone say AVI? do you see whats in my car? hehe AVI BSM tri star three way comp set with an add on BSM midbass all int he kicks lol

i LOVE LOVE LOVE AVI, my next car i am going to go all top shelf avi for sure.

well, as for cost...onthing i wnat to say is that i am somewhat different in terms of shop goes. i ran a shop for 5 years beofre, and got tired of the rat race, overheads, rushing on cars...so now, i do everything out of my own garage at my house, that way i know everyhting is done correctly, and the way i want, plus i can be a whole lot cheaper than a normal shop hehe

and unlike most shops that pushes brands, through my connections i can get my hands on pretty much any brand, so basically, when a customer comes in, i dont put much of a list otgehter, i say, what kind of sound are you looking for, what kind of install look wise are you looking for, and whats your budget...then i go ahead and do the best possible install usin the best possible components within those constraints, and often, i end up doing extra touches, cuase again, i do this becuase i love doin it, not just for cash hehe

anyway, for this car, here is whats included:

avic-d1
DLS ultimate UR6s (700 dollar or so set of psekars)
ifninity kappa 6.5"
two alpine amps, the big 4 channel., and the small mono block
two idq10s
all the wiring, dist blocks, and the insatll...

the end all price on all equipment, material and labor was 4k

Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 PM
neat, my contact at DLS is pinny

as for tuning, there arent too many speakres that i have seen didnt sound lack luster int he midbass compartmebt in a unsealed door, and most can benefit from some type of enclosure...i cant remember a rep in recent years that told me NOT to do kicks, maybe morel a while back

true AP is too much pain to do, i did it twice and dont really want to go through hacking the floor again to port to the outside...

yup, 150 down on the d1, on my car, i use my 31 band, but its not in this guys budget hehe, but -2db down with a narrow Q at 150db really cures it with the DLS

Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone's contact at DLS is Pinny, silly.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
fine fine...lol

Old 02-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bing, it sounds awesommmmmmmme...The problem now I have is to burn CDs ....I'm in the San Jose area on weekdays so if anyone wnat to check out the sound quality...just give me a call & tell that person to bring his/her favorite cds....

Old 02-09-2006, 02:50 AM
hehe, glad you like it nate sent you an email

Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16psibrick whats your opinion in kove audio? I already have a set of 12's but havent thrown them in yet, i was pretty impressed with thier sound. I was thinking of going ID but went kove on the subs. I am happy to see another AVI fan not easy to find them around anymore. do they still make AVI? My sets are from about 8 years ago I wont let them go, i simply love them.

http://www.avisound.com/subwoofers/sl500.htm

those are my 10's I have stilll, gotta love the depth of them!

Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 AM
16psi, what kind of snap on grills did you use... i'm looking for something i can put over my JL 10w6v2 to protect it for daily driving that can be removed quickly and without tools for when i do shows

Old 02-11-2006, 12:04 PM
yeah avis is still in business, they recently release a new set of amps, awesome stuff, but kinda expenisve too yeah, not many avi fans around for usre...but thats good to us hahah

the grilles are from partsexpress.com, but they wuill not work on your sub, they only work on a limited number of subs where the surround does not stick out of the top of the sub.

JL makes grilles for the w6v2...

Old 02-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
JL makes grilles for the w6v2...
yea but the JL grills have to snap in BEHIND the trim ring on the 10w6v2, and since the screws go thru the trim ring to mount the sub, i'd have to unbolt the sub to remove and replace the grill. (which isn't so bad b/c i drilled the holes in the box and use machine screws with T-nuts on the back instead of just screwing the sub right into the MDF)

Old 02-11-2006, 05:39 PM
hmm i cant think of any snap on grilles that would fit the w6, you would almost have to make them...but i agreenyou shouldnt be be unscrewing and screwing all the time even with wing nuts ...hmmm

b

Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Attaboy BING-O!!! Good work!!! Looks great!

Adrian

Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Everyone's contact at DLS is Pinny, silly.

LoL Thats cause hes the Only contact.

Now if hed ship me my pair of A7s I can get on with things...

Old 04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
System looks great!!! How much would just labor and shop parts be for an install like that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)