Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)

Hi guys, new here, posts a lot at my350z.com, and someone told me about this forum

just finished an install on a 05 g35, figure i would share:

its a 2005 G35 coupe, featuring Stillen Supercharger and Stillen Full exhuast.

The goals for the system is:

1. loss of NO trunk space at all, completely hidden

2. Superb Sound quality, Imaging and staging

3. Avic-D1 navigation unit into the dash

4. a little bit of flash meshed with a clean looking install

so...here is what hte system comprises of:

Headunit: avic-D1 via double din dash kit
Front Speakers: DLS Ultimate UR6S 6.5" component set in custom fiberglass kickpanels
Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa 6.5" three way component coaxials
Subs: TWO image Dynamics IDQ10v2d2 subwoofers
Amps: Alpine MRV-F545 4x100 amplifier plus MRV-M605 600 watt mono amplifier

so..lets get started:

using the double din kit,the avic is flush mounted to the opening, new mounting points were made so the unit sits flush with the opening and a piece of abs plastic was sanded down to ensure a completely flush fit with the unit's housing

Here is the custom kick panels housing hte DLS UR6s compset, due to the fact that the G35 has a parking brake pedal versus a handle, this is the best way to mount the kick. Here the kicks are show with the heavy duty snap on grill off

Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 PM
here are the kicks with the grilles in place

now, onto the trunk, here is waht the trunk looks like normally, with the seats folded down and with the trunk open, as you can see, the floor was not raised at all, and its a completely stock look

Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 PM
here are the goods when you first pull off the carpet. the two subs are under protective heavy duty mesh grilles. its hard to tell from the picture but hte flush trim around the sub is suede. A raise Infinity logo is in the panel behind the subs, and the two DLS crossovers are slightly sunk into the floor. the floor panel is done in vinyl.

and here is the system in full show mode. the snap on grilles are lifted showing hte subs, and with the panel cover removed, the two alpine amps sit in a suede lined well, under 1/4" plexi, the alpine has built in fans and there are vents around the well for ventilation. all the wires are passed through grommits in the floor.

overall, i think it sounds excellent.. great imaging, staging, and of course, the DLS sounds superbly smooth, you can listen at very high volumes without hurting your ears...

now before the bombardment of questions starts about "hey doesnt your leg block the sound and doesnt it sound like its coming all from your feet area?"

I would like to answer: NO! to both questions plain and simple, sound stage is dash level, and moving your feed infront of it doesnt change the sound at all.

anyway, questions and comments welcome.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did the custom trunk install run you for?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks Great! I really like the trunk...very smooth. And yes, I have a question about the kicks. Where does your left leg go on the drivers side? Just looks like it might be a little cramped. Still looks fantastic tho ;-)

Old 02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks

as for foot space, over the years i have prolly built well over 50-100 pair of kicks for people, and many of them ask about foot room. i tell them this:

give yourself 10days to adjust, if in 10days, you still cant get used to them, come back, i will refund you the money and put the sepakrse where ever you want. and i have never gotten anyone to come back.

the human body adjusts itself over time, sorta like when you get into a new car, at first, everytthing seems weird, your sitting position, wheel, pedals, but with in a few days, you become acustomed to it.

kicks it he same way, with in days, your leg automatically adjusts for them, and they rest in a new way, and you dont even notice it anymore and they are sturdy enough for you to kick and hit without having to worry about killing it...but of course, non of this would matter if it didnt offer night and day difference in sound versusthe stock location.

differnet cars are different too, some cars, you can get away with taking up almost no foot space, some you need to..

as for cost for this customer.

how about you take a guess on how much EVERYTHING was, all the equipment, wiring, materlas, and labor...and i will tell you how much i charged him hehe

Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job, so sweet looking

Old 02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work. Standard RTTI style router templates.

If those kicks are sealed (they don't look sealed), how much volume did you acheive and do you have equalization on the midbass?

If they're not sealed, don't the UP-s series sound pretty dry that way?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Mod Junky!
Great install..makes me want to put a system in my coupe

Old 02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah. Kick panel speakers do wonders for soundstage and imaging. I had a set in my mustang and that was the best setup I had. Too bad it's almost impossible to have kick panel speakers AND leg room.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No dual zone button on the climate controls!

Old 02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
if you dont mind me asking, what is in the original speakers place (front speakers)?

Old 02-08-2006, 06:07 PM
answers:

1. the original speakrs are still in the door, but not hooked up.

2. climate control adapter was supplied by the customer, so i dont know if its different for an 05 hehe

3. IF, somehow you can modify the emergency brake pedal, it hink you can do kicks in a G that takes up alot less room...maybesaw off most of hte pedal and reweld it side sways?

4. i built kicks based on steve head (famous iasca winner and fabricator)'s advice. whcih is that afte ri build the sealed enclosure, i cut out part of the back, say a hole that is about half the diamter of the speaker. so the kick can vent into the carpet, in essense a simple AP variant, it helps eliminate bumps around 100-200hz zone. but i usually also lower 150hz by a coupla dbs to make it smooth out as much as possible, different speakrs work differently usually.. the DLS didnt need much

Old 02-08-2006, 07:04 PM
well let's see, two subs atleast 250 each, two amps atleast 300 each, so how much did the g35 trunk install cost??? i'd really like to know

Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome install, you have to give us a price for equip and install? I have been thinking about doing a godofcpu carputer using streetdeck. I am ify only because I am not sure if i want to rip apart my coupe. I have (2) 12" kove audio armageddon subs, 400x2 / 50x4 orion xtr amps, (2) avi 6.5", (2) avi 10" (who remembers avi? I always loved their sound so I kept them) If i do the carputer I may just go for it all and get it over with in 1 shot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)