G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan not starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 sport sedan
2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan not starting

So the afternoon after work I tried starting up my car but it didn’t start. It turns on and the radio works and dashboard too but it just doesn’t start. I had the same problem months back and it just sat in my parking for over a week after trying to start it and it eventually started and it would always start up good after until today. The battery work, alternator is good but it just doesn’t start. No lights on the dash. What could be the problem?
Update: I’ve tried everything so far and still can’t get it to start.

Last edited by Juan Ortiz; 05-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Start checking fuses, start at the fusible link on the positive battery post. If you don't have dash lights you probably blew a fuse.

"not starting" is an incredibly vague term.

Does the engine CRANK when you turn the key to START. Does it make a CLICK sound from under the car?

Or does it do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when you turn the key to start?

You should also put a battery charger on to verify the battery is fully charged, it's very common for something like the CD changer to malfunction and keep spinning when the car is turned off which will quickly drain your battery. How much voltage is the battery reading while the key is turned to START.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:33 PM
G35 sport sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670
Start checking fuses, start at the fusible link on the positive battery post. If you don't have dash lights you probably blew a fuse.

"not starting" is an incredibly vague term.

Does the engine CRANK when you turn the key to START. Does it make a CLICK sound from under the car?

Or does it do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when you turn the key to start?

You should also put a battery charger on to verify the battery is fully charged, it's very common for something like the CD changer to malfunction and keep spinning when the car is turned off which will quickly drain your battery. How much voltage is the battery reading while the key is turned to START.
Its a push start so I can’t put a key in but it doesn’t crank or none of that I know it sounds weird but it’s happened to me months ago too. It will turn on after a couple times of trying it but then it won’t. When it happened before it eventually starting turning on every time but then the problem came back. No blown fuses whatsoever. Weird problem.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Juan Ortiz
So the afternoon after work I tried starting up my car but it didn’t start. It turns on and the radio works and dashboard too but it just doesn’t start. I had the same problem months back and it just sat in my parking for over a week after trying to start it and it eventually started and it would always start up good after until today. The battery work, alternator is good but it just doesn’t start. No lights on the dash. What could be the problem?
Defective battery? How old is it? Test it or replace it
Corrosion on your battery cables?

Old 05-17-2020, 01:09 PM
G35 sport sedan
Originally Posted by telcoman
Defective battery? How old is it? Test it or replace it
Corrosion on your battery cables?
I just got the battery not too long ago it’s always been good plus I don’t think it’s that because the car lights and dash still turn on it’s just the engine that doesn’t start

Old 05-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
I just got the battery not too long ago it’s always been good plus I don’t think it’s that because the car lights and dash still turn on it’s just the engine that doesn’t start
With the lights on, when you press start do the lights dim or go out? Measure the voltage across the battery when you attempt to start the car
Just because you got a battery not too long ago does not mean it doesn't have a weak or dead cell?

Old 05-17-2020, 02:55 PM
G35 sport sedan
With the lights on, when you press start do the lights dim or go out? Measure the voltage across the battery when you attempt to start the car
Just because you got a battery not too long ago does not mean it doesn't have a weak or dead cell?
I’ll try that later since I need another person to be checking out the lights. Thing is, it will eventually turn on but after a good while and then once I turn it off it won’t turn on after a good few times. Like I said this happened before and then all of a sudden it would just turn on good & I just forgot about the problem but months later it’s the same thing.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If it wonk crank the motor when it's hot but WILL crank once it is cooled down that is usually the starter solenoid failing which requires a new starter. Your intelligent key system has a bypass mode where you take the fob and put it right next to the start button while you push the button which is sometimes needed if the fob itself is failing. Usually you end up with a an icon of a key on the dash when you are pushing the start button though if the fob is the issue.

You should definitely disconnect the battery and clean up the terminal posts and put a charger on it just to verify the battery isn't actually discharged. Never assume that a battery is good, they can just die at any time.

Also try putting the vehicle into neutral and starting it you could also have an issue with the park neutral safety switch on the transmission which will interlock the starter.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:19 PM
G35 sport sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670
If it wonk crank the motor when it's hot but WILL crank once it is cooled down that is usually the starter solenoid failing which requires a new starter. Your intelligent key system has a bypass mode where you take the fob and put it right next to the start button while you push the button which is sometimes needed if the fob itself is failing. Usually you end up with a an icon of a key on the dash when you are pushing the start button though if the fob is the issue.

You should definitely disconnect the battery and clean up the terminal posts and put a charger on it just to verify the battery isn't actually discharged. Never assume that a battery is good, they can just die at any time.

Also try putting the vehicle into neutral and starting it you could also have an issue with the park neutral safety switch on the transmission which will interlock the starter.
Yea man I was starting to think it was the starter and I heard if it is that to hit it while trying to turn it on but still nothing. My car is a push start and I also put the key in the slot and tried turning it on but nothing. I also disconnected the battery and still nothing. Someone did tell me to put it in neutral and try turning it on, I’ll try that later on today hopefully it works.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A hot start failure on the solenoid won't be remedied with a hammer.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Check the brake switch near the top of the brake linkage under the dash. If the switch is bad, when you press on the brake pedal It doesn't complete the circuit to allow the starter to engage. If that is OK try the neutral switch. I'm not sure where it is located, have to look in the service manual.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 AM
G35 sport sedan
Originally Posted by Mr.GEE
Check the brake switch near the top of the brake linkage under the dash. If the switch is bad, when you press on the brake pedal It doesn't complete the circuit to allow the starter to engage. If that is OK try the neutral switch. I'm not sure where it is located, have to look in the service manual.
I’ll have a look at it later. I tried putting it on neutral and trying to turn it on but it didn’t work. I was seeing on how it could be the steering lock unit.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:45 AM
G35 sport sedan
Just went to the dealer and they told me the aftermarket car alarm may have something to do with it.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Just went to the dealer and they told me the aftermarket car alarm may have something to do with it.
Why would you not mention that in your first post when requesting assistance?

Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM
G35 sport sedan
Why would you not mention that in your first post when requesting assistance?
I guess I just thought it didn’t have anything to do with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan not starting