Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Important Satellite Radio Harness Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important Satellite Radio Harness Update

I spoke to Infiniti customer service on 8-20-03 to complain about the whole satellite radio issue for the 2003 and some 2003.5 sedans and coupes. I was told that there is a "New" service bulletin to allow dealers to sell and install the missing harness for the satellite radio from 7-29-03 until only 10-31-03. I don't understand why Infiniti is only allowing dealers to sell the modification through 10-31-03. I couldn't get a response from the customer service person.

Well as soon as I heard this info from Infiniti I went to Infiniti Tustin (California) and spoke to Mike Eton in parts. He has been assigned the fun task of dealing with irrate Infiniti customers like myself who want satellite radio in their G35. Mike has ordered the harness for me today, and I can either install the harness myself or have Infiniti Tustin install it for me. Mike Eton can be reached at (714) 832-6252. Mike is very knowledgable on the whole satellite radio topic. Mike has said that you can call him at the phone number listed above to purchase the harness if you have problems with your home dealer. The Harness cost $75.00, plus the cost of the base "XM" or "Sirius" receiver. I did make one mistake though, I left my paper with the service bulletin number on it at Mikes desk. I will get it and post it tomorrow.

There is special paper work that has to be filled out by the dealership in order to purchase a harness. If you have purchased a wiring harness without the paper work Infiniti will not warranty the new harness nor the satellite radio. I saw the form myself. Mike, at Tustin Infiniti has copies of the form. Your dealer will need the form to order the harness. No form, no harness, I guess this is Infinitis way of tracking the modification and warranting the parts. Mike at Tustin Infinti told me that a dealer somewhere was selling these harness prior to the paper work being necessary so there may be some harnesses out there. Just be aware that if you purchase these harness without the paper work to Infiniti you have no warranty on those parts.

So Good news for those who want satellite radio who were previously denied. But get it done by October 31, 2003!!!!!

I will keep you updated on the progess of the delivery right through until it is installed and working in my G35.

Oh yeah the only vehicles that will still be denied satellite radio are the I35 owners. I don't know why, sorry. Oh yeah this is a G35 Driver site none of those Maxima, I mean I35 drivers here anyways, right?

You may want to sticky this info at least until 10-31-03.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Running for his life!!
Re: Important Satellite Radio Harness Update

Good link man.. I wish I had that link when I removed my front console.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by wreck on 08/20/03 08:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-21-2003, 01:25 PM

I called Mike Eton at Tustin Infiniti and he confirmed that the dealer who is selling the harness without the warranty is in Texas. Also the Service Bulliten is 1AB-03-024.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:51 PM

Your correct that the parts are under warranty for 1 year. But the new harness and SAT receiver and antenna will not have the same warranty as the car comes with. You know the bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:27 PM

A quick update on my XM radio install. I got all the parts yesterday at Tustin Infinti. I was going to have them do the install but they wanted $300.00. So I thought I would do it. Well 1 I don't have the time nor do I do much work on my own cars now. Getting older or having more money. I still like to do little things but this is a little bigger project. Well I took it the system to Circuit City here in Temecula, CA. They installed the entire system (New Harness, XM unit and Antenna) for $50.00. It's amazing what a semi-pro versus the dealer trained installer will charge. Well I also opted for the better, newer technology Trek XM3 antenna (cost around $50.00). It does really work better than the antenna that comes with the Infiniti system. I also had the antenna installed on the trunk instead of the roof at the front edge like Infiniti install says. Plus you save around $20.00 for the wire covering kit from Infiniti. The guys at Circuit City had it installed in about 2 hours so the labor rate was pretty cheap.

I did double check while I was at the dealer picking up the parts. They are still saying the parts will only be available until 10-31-03. After that Infiniti doesn't want to deal with this issue. So call and get your parts soon. Call Mike Eaton at Tustin Infiniti (714) 832-6111. By the way I ordered the parts on 8-22-03 and got them on 8-28-03 so the delivery time was quick. I guess they have the parts in stock right now.

I never knew how bad I missed my SAT radio (XM). The sound quality is as good as CD's. Plus the selection of stations on XM is awesome. And no more annoying commercials or stupid DJ's who think they are soooo funny. This is the future of radio!

Old 09-09-2003, 02:09 PM

When I got my G35s from Tustin, I was told that my Bose was "satellite ready". so does this mean that i need the harness, or that it just has the satellite button on the dash?

Also, can the harness be used as an Aux. connector? meaning, what I/O ends does the harness have? dins, RCA, ?? Can you connect in an alternate source other than Satellite?

'03 Sedan 5a: Silver/Graphite, Premium, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
SolarGard Quant. Tint 19% r, 28% fr, & just a tad more than 4" of 52% on the windshield

Old 09-12-2003, 07:01 PM

What they mean at Tustin is that you have the harness now all you need to do is buy the XM or Sirius SAT radio kit. You have the harness so all that needs to be done is install the SAT receiver. Very easy install.

As for the plug they have at the end of the harness, it is a special plug just for the SAT radio connect. It has 16 pins and is the typical rectangular plug from the OEM. No way to hook up other equipment easaly.

I have had the XM SAT radio now for about 1 month and it is awesome. I live in Temecula so the regular radio reception sucks. Very nice to drive from home to work (Garden Grove) listening to the same station, NO DJ's and NO COMMERCIALS.