Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Upgrading sound system and keeping stock HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djphatinc
I got my amp replaced and everything has been ok since then. I also added a cap, which seems to help the sound but, not at all getting rid of the drop in power the car gets when the bass hits hard. So, either a bigger batter, a second battery, or an after-market altenator cause the loss in power to the car is just bothering me.

Now the problem I have now is that I believe they tapped power post bose amp. Mainly to get more power to the LOC (not sure if there is volume adjustable on that one) to drive the amps better. It is loud and pretty clean from 12 to 25 volume. However, on low volume it has static. Not sure why, but after 22 it can have this mid range distortion. Like on some vocals it gets distorted as the volume goes up but only on the mid range it seems. Everything else is clear. Which IMO must be due to the EQ'n from the amp. So, now I want a new radio (HU) to get the sound I should have had to begin with. Thing is that if I go that route and change the HU, I might as well get the Navi and go all out. So I don't have to do this crap again. Such a pain. But, I love my car and I need good sound. There is just no other way.
I dont mind the flickering of the lights but the lost of power is what annoys me too. I didn't put a cap but I did buy a more powerful battery. (800am stock was only 500am) is not as bad as before but I still feel it.

I was thinking maybe doing the "Big 3" but am not even sure if that will fix it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
a little confused...

I am new to the forum and i have read the entire thread on "installing aftermarket amps using the factory HU". I own a 06 g35 coupe w/bose and i'm a little confused on the inputs to the factory amp. Are they a diff. balanced line? If so, what LOC specifically do i need to use to convert the singal so a normal non-balanced input amp can be used? or is this even possible? the amps i am wanting to use are an alpine PDX 4100 and PDX 1000.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok, I've read this entire sticky and searched the entire forum (and read a bunch of the many entries) but am confused about my options.

To put it simply: I have an '07 coupe with the NON-Bose HU and i would like to put a 4080 enclosure, sub and amp in the trunk. Will this work with the non-bose HU and if so will it sound ok?

Most of the info i've found is for the Bose HU and quite frankly i'm super confused. I'd love to have some extra bass but have never had to deal with one of these factory dd HU's before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry if this has been covered!!!!

I apologize first of all if this info is allready in here somewhere, I tried to skim through the reading (good stuff in there, thank you!), but I have limited time to read through and get all the tid bits. I just bought an '07 g35s sedan, and I am looking to just add a little bass in the trunk. The stock stereo is fine the way it is for me, I just want a little more bass coming from the rear of the car instead of having it all coming from the doors. It sounds like I should be able to tap into the amp in the trunk and add a small sub amp to it? If this is the case that would be fine, I was thinking of just adding a single 10" or 12" sub. Once again, if this info is here somewhere allready, I apologize. Thank you for your time in advance.

-J

Old 03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
JZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Coupe KY0
does any one have the pac oem2? thats supposed to be a good LOC right? how does that work?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
You don't need a LOC to tap into the BOSE harness if your amp takes differential balanced inputs. The blue plug is the one you want to splice into in either case. I have a JL amp so I spliced in some heavy duty RCAs, soldered and run them direct to the amp, no eq, no LOC. Easiest solution, but every amp is different.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 PM
JZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Coupe KY0
true, every amp is different. I highly doubt mine takes dbi's so would my easiest solution be to get the aoem2???

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Did anyone happen to save el_duderino's data from the BOSE hu freq response post in this thread years back? Site is dead now, sadly.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Anyone know if an ALPINE MRP-M500 has differential balanced inputs?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I talked to an alpine tech the other day about this issue but, i only asked about the PDX line... he said it would not be an issue. the amp should have no problem. just call them with your questions Audio Products Technical Support
(Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.)
(800) TECH-101 (1-800-832-4101)
hope this helps....

Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Answered my own question

Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Does Anyone know if Phoenix Gold Titanium series amps accept Balanced Inputs?
Thanks
brian

Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I tried finding info on upgrading my factory radio with an iPod adapter and didn't find anything that really told me it would work with my car. I have a 2006 G35 Sedan w/o bose or HD Radio models. The source button on My Radio are (CD, Radio, SSV, Disp). There is also a (RPT/CAT) button on the bottom right under the volume ****.

Most of the info I found was for radio's with the Bose system, but I found the uPAC-NAS1 on Amazon.com for wicked cheap... $100 - That's $80 less than everywhere else.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=22

So I installed it today... Really didn't have my hopes up... BUT IT WORKED!

Not all functions are working, but it plays music through the radio w/o an FM transmitter, so I'm happy. I select the source using the mode button on the steering wheel. It shows up as Aux 1 after FM2.

Some of the functions I don't think are working are the browsing of the iPod. I cannot browse using the steering wheel controls. I don't think the seek buttons on the radio did anything. The tune button took me from the song screen to the playlist the song was in, but didn't do anything else. The song names DO NOT show up on the radio.

As for the volume issue some have mentioned, The level is lower then the other sources by 8-10 level settings. With the radio on 31 it sounded good to me. About my normal listening level. I'm sure there will be times I will want it louder, but it's not nearly as bad as some have stated.

Overall I'm happy with it so far. It's only been a few hours since I installed, so time will tell.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ The Bose and non-Bose head units (HU) are essentially the same except for the way they output the audio signal to the speakers. So any iPod device that works for the Bose HU will work for the non-Bose HU.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading sound system and keeping stock HU