Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AUX in using Satellite harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, I understand now. Yea I'd like to see the guts too :-D

Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
The PAC looks like this... (And the XM OEM Sat looks like the other picture. You can see two white boxes which are the audio relays.)

Attached Thumbnails AUX in using Satellite harness-satguts.jpg   AUX in using Satellite harness-pacinside.jpg  
Old 04-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I have had my Phatbox and OEM SAT working together for a good 6 months. You do need an A/B switch, however, because the head unit is lacking the needed hardware to deal with two devices, just like Jaak's Murano. I'm surprised Jaak doesn't remember that as we both worked on it for quite a while. This was confirmed with not only the phatbox, but also with a Nissan CD changer.

You do not need to turn the ignition off to switch inputs. If you are using the SAT with another SAT device (like the PAC Audio), the radio will just start controlling the other device as soon as the switch is flipped. I usually switch to the CD audio input before flipping the switch so the other device knows to go to sleep. You only need to power cycle if the secondary device simulates a CD changer. The radio's power button works also, you don't need to turn the whole car off. With the Phatbox, that means you should get the SAT emulation firmware.

What Jaak is getting at is that you don't need anything as complicated as the PAC device to have a secondary audio input. You don't need to emulate a SAT receiver since you already have one. One of the two switching pins activates relays in the SAT receiver. All you'd need is a switched 12v line going into one of the pins in the SAT harness (which could be a remote wire from a DVD player or something), plus a balanced audio singal going into the other side of the SAT receiver. The radio's display will continue to show whatever's on the XM receiver, but you'll hear the auxilliary input. Getting the balanced signal seems to be be the major issue.

wnpublic, unfortunately my wiring diagram (www.tvrules.net/misc/satpb/satpb.htm) is as simple as it's going to get for you if you want the two connected. It is, however, absolutely worth it once you have it done!

Last edited by djrobx; 04-16-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey, dude, good to hear it's working well!

Yeah, I remember we worked through it, but I thought you had to power down to switch them. Well, now that I know that, I think I'll see if I can fake out my Pac Audio adapter to run with the Sat... That's probably the least amount of pain!