Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:55 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Installing a PDA GPS receiver

Hello Eugene,
1) No you cannot switch between portrait/landscape, the thing is mounted upright so there really is no point in making it landscape...

2) The button on the bottom right corner of the PDA is called the "Que" button. Basically this button is programmable to toggle between any programs. By default it is set to switch between 3 or 4 screens, 1- map, 2- step by step directions, 3- address/location search. So basically, you cant have it side-by-side, but all you have to do is press the Que button to switch between the map and the step by step directions.
By the way, the step by step directions are heard through the loudspeaker, it is just as good as any other voice prompted Navigation system i've seen (including nissan's and mercedes)

3) When a signal cannot be reached, you can simulate a route or just view the step by step directions. It knows the speed limit of all roads and highways and will simulate accordingly.

4) The external memory is NOT necessary for a single city, such as Metro Detroit. However, i found a great deal on the external memory and could not pass it [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, its not essential, but it is nice to have since you can play music with this thing also, and put all of your word and excel documents. and games, and other miscellaneous cool palm apps.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RR, haha another great use of Duct Tape. LOL What would we do without that stuff? [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cool revu bro. For the dough, an excellent mod. congrats.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 09-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

NIce car cali! Saw your car from your link!

VERY NICE PDA setup ramborami! Very detailed! PROPS! How did you get the power to charger the PDA? DId you take the whole entire center counsel apart?

Old 09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Thanks FD and GSM..... oh uhhhhh ummmmm...i, uhh, was at the race track! Yeah! hahahaahha

G35 Lin... I did not take apart the dash, i just hid the charger wire neatly, if you look closely enough you can still see it

Old 09-05-2003, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW

I got a Garmin ETreks Vista that I keep in the upper glove box. I have a comic holder on my center console for my smokes and if I need to use the navi, I set it in the comic holder. It picks up a signal through the windshield no problem. I get about 15-30 ft accuracy with it! Cost me $200.00 and with a $50.00 rebate, I couldn't pass it up! Nothing fancy, It's not color, it doesn't talk, but it fits smooth and looks good when in place. Nothing bulky sticking out anywhere or getting in anyone's legroom. Plus, it's not taking up my console storage box for my Oakleys!!!

If you want to see a pic of it in action and installed, let me know. I also got the car power cord and can run it all day if I need to. I don't keep it out on the dash fearing thieves!!!

Let me know if you want to see it!

'03.5 G35 BS Sedan (I love that acronym!)
Stillen Intake, 350Z duct
Hyper-Ground Kit
Lowered!
Bulbs all around!
Splash Guards - Aero
Need Exhaust, Twin Turbo or NOS!

Old 09-05-2003, 03:37 AM

Thanks Rambo, your install looks good. Before I was leaning towards one of those mount that sticks on the dash. Your install makes me think twice now.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

Hey rambo,

I have a couple of questions! Is the maps for the GPS free? Do you download them to your PDA? ALso the 256MB that you bought. How much room do you have left after downloading the maps.

I have a concern about the battery time. Is it only two hours? Is the battery Lithium Ion?

Thanks! I am really considering getting that! Where did you get that price? 450?

THanks,

G35lin

Old 09-05-2003, 10:38 PM

I also bought the Garmin iQue 3600 a couple of weeks ago. However, it was not for my G35c (I have the Infiniti Navi) but for my other cars. It is quite the little powerhouse and not much bigger than a standard Palm or PocketPC with all of the GPS features fully integrated. The screen is brilliant and many times brighter than other PalmOS devices I have owned. It also is one of the few to utilize "virtual graffiti" for those techno/computer geeks reading this - basically it means that the writing area which is painted/silk screened at the bottom of most Palm Pilots is instead computer generated/collapsible to maximize screen space for the GPS. The battery however is a bit on the anemic side - most likely due to the screen's power draw combined with the GPS functions. If you want to use this as a navigation device in the car you will have to use a 12V cigarette lighter adapter (the iQue uses the standard Palm-brand universal connector so the $20 RadioShack Palm cable will work).

I picked my iQue up at a local CompUSA after my nearly 2-year old Sony Clie handheld (with CompUSA replacement warranty) began acting up. They gave me full original purchase price credit ($399) for the broken Clie and I paid only $150 out the door for the new Garmin. I cannot recommend enough the 2 year REPLACEMENT warranty plan (not repair like some other mega store warranties) from CompUSA. For those who are considering or have purchased online you can still buy just the warranty from CompUSA. The warranty covers accidental screen breakage as well.

How does it compare to the OEM Navi in the Infiniti G35 or to the Acura navi in the MDX? It's a bit slower to react and not quite as well integrated (the Infiniti will automatically guide you to the nearest gas station when it detects the tank is nearly empty) but it's portable (can be used in a rental car on vacations) and costs 1/4 as much as the factory systems. And IMO the OEM Acura navi still has the best user interface and the G35 navi has by far the best wow factor with the slide up and tilting screen.

Sony has recently introduced a GPS navi cradle for a select few of their Clie PalmOS handhelds. However, the Sony handheld+cradle combo will run hundreds more than the iQue. Futhermore it only allows the user to calculate routes/trips on their home PC and upload to the handheld. Therefore it will not provide on-the-fly routing or off-route recalculation. The iQue on the other hand provides both on-the-fly trip calculations by address/phone number/or searchable business database just like OEM G35 navigation system. And if you go off-route it automatically recalculates.

If you wanted/need a Palm handheld/organizer/MP3 player/Voice Navi (and a built in digital voice recorder too!) the iQue is quite the bargain.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:04 AM

Oh and the iQue plays MP3 files from its SD memory card. Hook it up to an FM modulator or tap into the AUX/SAT input on the G35 and you can listen to tunes w/ auto-mute for the navi directions!

Old 09-06-2003, 01:36 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod

so.. motegi, the PDA does not need me to load additional programs into it to make the Navi work? Is that right?

How long does the battery last without using nav? Do you know how long it does last with nav?

Rambo, how did you do such a nice clean setup? did you have someone do it for you?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2003, 02:35 AM

The iQue comes out of the box with all of the basic map functions and a basemap (all highways including exits) preloaded into ROM. The box also comes with the fully unlocked NorthAmerican version of Garmin's MapSource NAVTECH database CD-ROMS.

Depending on how much space you have on your SD card you can choose to install as much or as little detailed information (city streets, businesses, banks/atms, etc) as you want.

Basically you choose the regions of the country you want using the MapInstall program and it places them on your home PCs hard drive. Then you simply HotSync the iQue and the maps transfer automatically!

The battery life is very sensitive to the brightness settings on the screen. Of course at lower brightness settings the iQue's battery lasts much longer. I must say that even at 20% brightness the iQue is as bright as my Clie T665 and brighter than a Clie N760. Even so I think with moderate continuous use at the 20% screen setting will last a max of 3 hours. At full brightness you can literally see the battery life fall on the display.

Nevertheless, as long as you keep it connected to your car's 12V outlet battery life will not be a problem.

Late,
Motegi

Old 09-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Premier Member

WERD!!!!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Premier Member

MAKE ME ONE!!!!!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Premier Member

:P

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-06-2003, 11:05 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

All of North America is available to you, you just select the regions and it automagically downloads it onto the PDA

The battery will last a long time without using the NAV, especialy with the brightness at about 20%. Trust me 20% is plenty bright for every day use in the home or office. They say the unit will last 2 weeks if used 30 minutes per day at a low level of brightness. That seems about on par. I use mine about 15-30 minutes per day. However when i have it plugged into the car unit... it is being charged, so i turn up the brightness all the way and have NAV enabled. This wont drain any battery because it is being charged simultaneously. It also charges while being in the cradle connected to the PC. I sync every day so that it downloads my email, weather, and news every morning before i head off to work.

I did the setup myself... it was pretty easy, you just have to be very creative and somewhat handy. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The SD Memory... I live in south eastern Michigan, so i downloaded all of michigan, most of ontario, and most of ohio, total file size is 50 megs, so i have over 200 MB left on the memory card and over 15 megs left on the PDA's internal memory

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW