Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW

I'm thinking of installing one of those PDA gps receivers on the dash of the G. They are pretty small and can be held by suction cup or tape. Does anyone have a good idea of how to route the wire going from the receiver to the PDA? I'm thinking of installing the PDA beside the radio. I saw a post before about some instruction of taking apart the console of the G, but I can't seem to find it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by RamboRami on 09/03/03 10:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Re: Installing a PDA GPS receiver

why not get a compact flash or bluetooth reciever made for your PDA, and get a vent mount w/ FM mod to get voice command thru ur radio

hometown.aol.com/v35skylinepnoy
Sactown Cali

Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather wire it up than have a tape in my dashboard running to my PDA. I was thinking about this Mod also. I have a Dell Axim. I am probbly going to end up either doing that or just getting a GPS with a TV to put in my dash. Just make sure you build some sort of cradle for your PDA.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-03-2003, 11:44 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

hey dude, i just got one!!!!!!!! i will post pics soon. Its awesome, im loving every second of it
i got the Garmin iQue 3600, its a VERY nice machine. Got the car kit and leather case and 256MB SD mem chip.

$450 for PDA, $50 for Car Kit, $20 for case, $60 for mem chip
Plus shipping, so its $600 total for a top-of-the-line PDA with integrated GPS Navigation.

I will also write up a small review if you want... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
its been a good 2 weeks so far! nothing but oooh's and ahhh's

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-04-2003, 12:37 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic1...totally concealed...the cord on the right is for my V1 Radar detector, the cord on the left plug is the external loud speaker and 12V car-charger for the pda

G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by RamboRami on 09/03/03 09:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

97942-DSC00279.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic2.....cubby lid open

G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by RamboRami on 09/03/03 09:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

97943-DSC00282.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 12:39 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic3.....my homemade version of the car-kit, i basically took apart the car kit and made my own platform and screwed the Garmin mount onto it
I made the platform from cardboard and wrapped with tape for reinforcement.

G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by RamboRami on 09/03/03 09:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

97944-DSC00283.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 12:46 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic 4......this is where the PDA will sit, it charges the PDA, and also latches onto that clip that i contraptioned

97946-DSC00284.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 12:59 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic 5..... system on! wires hidden! w00t
by the way, it is fully adjustable, up down left right

97950-DSC00288.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 01:01 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

my top speed today...... [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] (with the thing on- i often reset this, haha)

97951-DSC00290.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 01:07 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

and dont forget the extra memory and leather case! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

97952-DSC00297.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 01:38 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

<center><h3>GPS/NAV PDA REVIEW</h3></center>
Product: Garmin iQue 3600
Duration of testing: 2 Weeks

Pros: Integrated GPS, 320x480x16bit super-high res touch screen, brand new Palm 5.0 OS with also brand new Grafiti2 interface.

Cons: Nope this doesnt have wireless internet, nope this isnt a cell phone. (Common questions that i get)

The strong points here are clear. 200mhz processor (thats top speed for a Palm), 32MB built-in RAM (thats top memory for Palm), beautiful/crisp screen, all of the regular Palm operations (datebook, address book, memopad, todo list, Word, Excel, Email, etc.) and of course BEST of all, integrated GPS Navigation.

I love the Route-to feature, just go to your address book and click Route To and it will direct you to that person's address.

Please keep in mind that I dont use this on an every-time basis. I only use this whenever i need to go somewhere unfamiliar (as with all gps systems). For example, today I wanted to look up this restaraunt that i had heard about. Well i punched in "Shallal" and bam...up came the address and phone #, so i called them and ordered the food and by the time i got there it was ready for pickup.
This device is WAAS enabled. This means that GPS accuracy is typically in the 3ft-20ft range, which is amazing. Also, no external antenna is needed if you mount it close to your windshield. You can also walk around with the unit and it will measure speed/distance/heading etc. Very cool toy to have [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In case you are wondering, there is an off-route recalculation which is processed almost instantaneously, it takes only a split second to recalculate. Takes about 2 seconds to initially calculate a route though, which is pretty fast from my experience with other gps nav systems.

Glare is very minimal in my car, with the LCD brightness all the way up its very easy to see.

I made my own platform (see pics above). I bought the car-kit but it came with a bean-bag type mount, i did not like it at all. So i modified it, took off the bean bag thing, but kept the rest (clip+charger/speaker unit).

I made the platform out of a dual lightbulb box. Yes those are flimsy, but i used it for the shape only. It fits so perfectly in the cubby box in the center console. This lightbulb box was folded into shape and then reinforced with cardboard and duct tape. Ghetto? nope, finished it off with some cool-looking BLACK tape...HAHA...i was going to paint the entire thing black, but didnt have the time. I will soon though. In the meantime i put some electrical tape on the top to make it black so that it dissapears/blends-in with the cubby box's interior. The clip from the car kit was screwed into this platform, creating a secure and tight fit. Cubby box closes perfectly and the entire thing is concealed. The PDA, of course, is not concealed, that goes into the leather case and then into my pocket and then into my office for work-related use.

The external loud-speaker is pretty loud and suits this just fine. it is integrated into the DC charger/cradle that mounts onto the clip/platform that i made.

PDA----->cradle/charger----->clip/platform---->cubby box

Final thoughts: I needed a Palm Pilot. I am not a fan of PocketPC, im a hardcore Palm fan [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] SO, its either buy a $500 Sony Clie plus $300 navigation kit, or a $450 Garmin iQue 3600 with integrated gps nav as an added bonus! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
The choice was easy, for me.

By the way, i bought mine from tvnav.com. I called them about 5 times and they were nice and helpful EVERY time. I have nothing but praises for them and this product.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:41 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

P.S. I didnt want to write this review earlier because i wanted to be sure that I got at least a full 2 weeks of use out of this thing. So far, so good.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 AM

Great review and it looks cool!

BTW, I noticed that on the PDA it says you max speed was 111MPH, you naughty boy[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 AM

I've been looking something that could carry around with me on trips or in other people's cars on road trips. I was initially looking at tearing down some spare laptops that I have at work and building an indash unit, but alas there isn't any good GPS navigation software that runs on a mac ...

Rambo, a couple of questions on the iQue (I've been looking at since it was announced)...

1) can you switch between portrait to landscape mode for the navigation software?
2) does the software offer side by side navigation direction with a map?
3) how does it handle situations where it can't obtain a satellite signal?
4) is the external memory necessary?

Thanks,

Eugene

G35C - 6MT - DG/G - Premium

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing a PDA GPS nav PICS and REVIEW