Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

RCA Cable question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCA Cable question?

I just installed my speakers and amp. I am getting that whining/whistle sound that changes as I step on the gas. I ran my power line down the passenger side to avoid the rca lines which are going down my driver's side. I have not checked the ground connection yet.

I noticed that my RCA cables had a couple of rips hear and there which I just put black electrical tape over.

1. Could having rips in the RCA lines cause this whining?
2. My RCA line may cross my power line as all the wires meet as they plug into my amp. Could this be the problem?
3. Should I move my ground location?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
I just installed my speakers and amp. I am getting that whining/whistle sound that changes as I step on the gas. I ran my power line down the passenger side to avoid the rca lines which are going down my driver's side. I have not checked the ground connection yet.

I noticed that my RCA cables had a couple of rips hear and there which I just put black electrical tape over.

2. My RCA line may cross my power line as all the wires meet as they plug into my amp. Could this be the problem?
1. Absolutely
2. Possible but not likely
3. Try it and see if it improves

Old 03-27-2006, 09:47 PM

yea that usually is a grounding issue....move the ground to a better location try to find some bare metal (not painted)

Old 03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can, try using a ground block. this should have came with your amp wiring kit. I drilled a new hole in my trunk, just so I would know that the ground is good.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 AM
So I replaced the RCA cables since the one I used initally was about 5 years old. The sound quality seems to have improved.

I re-did my ground in the same location right between the rear seat bottom and seatback... there was a hole there so I sanded the area a bit more to get more metal showing then re-attached the ground wire.

I am STILL getting the little whining/whistling sound. BUT you can only hear it if the volume is turned all the way down or really low. When the music is on louder, then you I can't hear it.

1.Shouldn't it be silent when the volume is down all the way?

2.Should I "move" my ground?

3.Should I use a couple of those "ground blocker" things from radio shack that plugs in right before the amp? Or would that actually muffle the music and have a negative impact on sound quality or clarity? Are those ground blocker things for humming because I have no humming?

Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 AM
Questions:
1) What gauge are your power/ground wires?
2) How long is your ground wire?
3) What kind of head unit are you running?
4) What kind of speakers are you running?
5) How many amps?
6) Subs?
7) Distribution blocks?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 AM
1) 8 Guage Power
2) 8 Guage Ground - 2ft
3) Pioneer AVIC-D1
4) MB Quart 6.5 door speakers + tweeters + crossovers (2 channels Front); MB Quart 6.5 Reference woofer (bass only); MB Quart 3-way 6x9's in the rear deck (4 rears are parallel 2 per channel)
5) One 4-channel amp - Zappco AG360
6) No subs
7) ? What's a distribution block?

Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 AM
straight to the bank...
you use distro blocks if you have a 4awg power wire and you split it to 8awg or something.. (for multiple amps/power needs)

Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Check the location of the crossovers for your front components. The inductance coils are susceptible to inducing alternator whine. Also, try moving the amp ground to see if it improves.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
This type of thing is almost always a grounding issue. Don't waste your time replacing any more wires unless your certain the wires are the issue. Put a temporary long extension on the ground then try grounding it to different areas around the car. (Run it on the outside of the car into the engine area and into the trunk area temporailly of course!) See how this affects the whining sound. If you find a good spot then run a permanent wire to this spot.

Otherwise the problem is most likely a connection you made to one of the speakers, amp, or HU is not soldered or shielded well enough.

Last edited by Beowulf; 03-29-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by k67p67
Check the location of the crossovers for your front components. The inductance coils are susceptible to inducing alternator whine. Also, try moving the amp ground to see if it improves.

I actually don't have the fronts hooked up, I unhooked the fronts because I wanted to see if the crossover was the issue and it is not.

I will try moving the amp ground then.

Could I ground it underneath the rear side panel where there seems to have a couple of other wires grounded? Just under the little rear window?

Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
This type of thing is almost always a grounding issue. Don't waste your time replacing any more wires unless your certain the wires are the issue. Put a temporary long extension on the ground then try grounding it to different areas around the car. (Run it on the outside of the car into the engine area and into the trunk area temporailly of course!) See how this affects the whining sound. If you find a good spot then run a permanent wire to this spot.

Otherwise the problem is most likely a connection you made to one of the speakers, amp, or HU is not soldered or shielded well enough.

I will try that too.

Is it bad to ground the amp where other wires are grounded?

Old 03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it's usually not bad.

Rips in your RCA cable? What were you doing, using it for a tow rope?

Does the noise go away when the system is off?

Old 03-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Make sure you check your grounding for the HU too. I once had a very persistent whine (similar to yours) and eventually found that the ground wire to the HU had come unplugged behind the dash.

This may not apply if you're not using an aftermarket HU.

Good luck!

JoshNjuice

Old 03-29-2006, 11:17 PM
htn
I have the exact same problem with my system, using jl amps, I try everything, but nothing has any better yet, For my system, I am thinking it might be a combination of problems, not just one bad connection

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RCA Cable question?