Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
good thing is that they still output to attached screens, so my guy can watch the dvds on the visor screens when driving, well i mean his passenger, id ont recommend watching it yourself while driving

b

Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys everyone thought the D1 couldn't be modified to play DVDs while driving. There is a hack for it though where you insert a wire into the unused slot on the harness and ground that, along with the parking brake. Voila, you can do it. I'm guessing the Z1 has some sort of similar way to do this. Usually you want it for technician reasons. Check to see if the harness has an open slot without a wire in it in the corner. If so, ground that and the parking brake and you are in business.

I'd love to migrate to the Z1. I have the D1 in my car, which I installed and is able to play DVD while driving. Do you use the same Ipod interface as the D1 or is the Ipod interface built into the Z1?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
SO if there isn't a confirmed crack for the Z1 yet, you could still play DVD's through the AV, like a Ps2? or does the the unit lock up completely?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I have a Z1. There is no movie watching/PS2 player on the head unit itself while the car is in motion. If you have other screens though, you can still watch it.

The only downside about not watching movies while the car is in motion is I can't program the nav while the car is moving either! Booo!

Old 04-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
good thing is that they still output to attached screens, so my guy can watch the dvds on the visor screens when driving, well i mean his passenger, id ont recommend watching it yourself while driving
of course, i wouldn't want to watch it myself. i've driven my buddy's truck with the AVIC-N1 which is mounted really high on the dash, and it's distracting and hard not to look at. in the G, i don't think distraction would be as much of a problem since the screen is all the way down by the shifter. i mainly want it to playback DVD so as not to have to install a visor screen for the passenger (which is where my V1 is hanging anyways)
Originally Posted by BigSash
kind of a waste of money if you buy that HU and don't use the GPS.
well, there are a few reasons why i'm interested in this unit. i want a double din that has GOOD ipod controls, bluetooth phone capabilty, sat radio, and GOOD audio outputs and controls, and i also like the 10gb internal music capability. in hindsight, i would have definitely ordered the car without OEM navi... but i have it, and it's not going anywhere. the only other double din unit that has the features i want is the new Kenwood DDX-6019.... which does come without nav functionality but only has 2v outputs and i have no idea about it's audio capability

Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Inno
Guys everyone thought the D1 couldn't be modified to play DVDs while driving. There is a hack for it though where you insert a wire into the unused slot on the harness and ground that, along with the parking brake. Voila, you can do it. I'm guessing the Z1 has some sort of similar way to do this. Usually you want it for technician reasons. Check to see if the harness has an open slot without a wire in it in the corner. If so, ground that and the parking brake and you are in business.

I'd love to migrate to the Z1. I have the D1 in my car, which I installed and is able to play DVD while driving. Do you use the same Ipod interface as the D1 or is the Ipod interface built into the Z1?

The z1 needs an interface to access the I-pod. The one I used for the D1 works with the Z1, but pioneer is making a new model for 2006 head units.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
i want a double din that has GOOD ipod controls, bluetooth phone capabilty, sat radio, and GOOD audio outputs and controls, and i also like the 10gb internal music capability. in hindsight, i would have definitely ordered the car without OEM navi... but i have it, and it's not going anywhere. the only other double din unit that has the features i want is the new Kenwood DDX-6019.... which does come without nav functionality but only has 2v outputs and i have no idea about it's audio capability

Perhaps you could convert the OEM Nav system screen to display video from the Z1.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by Inno

I was hoping this would work for the Z1 as well but the harness doesn't have any unused slots. I'm sure there's gotta ba a hack for it somewhere. All I want is for my wife to be able to search for stuff while we're moving (keeps her distracted while I'm crusing, lol)

Old 04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah I agree. I'm looking forward to following this thread to see when the crack comes out. It's just a matter of time. Last May when I bought and installed my D1 there was no crack. Now there is. Pioneer will leak it. Otherwise it will slow their sales.

Good to hear my Ipod interface will port (figured it would since it is IP Bus). As soon as someone finds a crack for this (and after the price drops a little) I'll be switching over to this deck!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Archangel
Perhaps you could convert the OEM Nav system screen to display video from the Z1.
i can do that now, i already have an AV Electronic tuner module installed which permits video on the stock navi screen. the reason i don't use it is b/c i find the video up that high to be distracting while i drive.

Inno is right... eventually somebody'll figure out the crack for the Z1 too, just like all the other ones

Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM
come on people we need to crack this hack, the z1 is way too good of a deck to be hackless, so everyone start asking around, i hope by summer this problem will be solved! lets go people we have a mission to accomplish

Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Sneaker Whore
Quick question guys do I need: http://www.discount-electronic.com/s...&PIONEER-NDBT1 this and a separate blue tooth to make the blue tooth feature work? Thank you in advance.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am probably one of the biggest fans of keeping the stock HU... but I want this. Only thing stopping me is the override to play the DVD while moving. Like others said, I have NO (zero) desire to watch anything while driving. I want my passenger to be able to watch it. If anyone can find out if this can be bypassed for sure I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archangel
I just had my Pioneer AVIC D1 replaced with an AVIC Z1 today. It is far better than the D1. Unfortunately, beacuse it does not have a hook up for a wired remote, I lost the steering wheel controls. The interface is much better than the D1 so that isn't a great loss. Here are some pictures.

The background image can be customized unlike with the D1. This is a stock image:

Ipod interface is light years better:

DVD:

I also have a TV tuner installed:

Music library for songs burned directly from the CD player:

XM interface is better:

It still has the meters:

And navigation with regular veiws and this dual view mode:

It's a much better system even though the D1 is good. My old D1 is making its way into my RX7 now.
Did the installer have to hand sand a trim ring for this unit?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by plaing35coupe
Quick question guys do I need: http://www.discount-electronic.com/s...&PIONEER-NDBT1 this and a separate blue tooth to make the blue tooth feature work? Thank you in advance.
You need the NDBT1 to enable the bluetooth functions on the Z1. This was one of the main draws for me getting the Z1. According to the manual, if you have a bluetooth phone paired with the Z1 you can:

Pair up to 5 bluetooth phones

Make/receive phone calls from the Z1's front panel (using the onscreen 10key feature and utilizing the Z1's voice mic)

Display caller info on the screen

Import your cell phone address book to the Z1.

I'm looking forward to not having to take my phone out of my pocket and sticking it in the cup holder everythime I get in the car. Hopefully I didn't sound too excited...I'm just really anxious since I already paid for the thing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images