Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amthar
Did the installer have to hand sand a trim ring for this unit?

I don't think so. My D1 sat slightly high in the opening, but the Z1 is centered.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Archangel, how long does it take for your Z1 to come up after you start the car. Does the time seem to vary?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Vegas79
Archangel, how long does it take for your Z1 to come up after you start the car. Does the time seem to vary?

Yes it does. I haven't taken time to detect a pattern, but sometimes it will be on the boot-up screen longer than others. There are also times when sound will come through right away and others when the sound doesn't happen until after the boot-up process. I'm going to start paying more attention to this.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Sneaker Whore
Originally Posted by Vegas79
You need the NDBT1 to enable the bluetooth functions on the Z1. This was one of the main draws for me getting the Z1. According to the manual, if you have a bluetooth phone paired with the Z1 you can:

Pair up to 5 bluetooth phones

Make/receive phone calls from the Z1's front panel (using the onscreen 10key feature and utilizing the Z1's voice mic)

Display caller info on the screen

Import your cell phone address book to the Z1.

I'm looking forward to not having to take my phone out of my pocket and sticking it in the cup holder everythime I get in the car. Hopefully I didn't sound too excited...I'm just really anxious since I already paid for the thing!
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Can you tell us a little more about the built in HD? How do you put the music on to it and how long would it take to fill it? Is there a way you can connect to a computer?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
You can add music to the hard drive by loading a CD and have it automatically copy every song or by manually recording the individual songs you want. I do not know about connecting a computer.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
The speed the unit records to the hard drive is at 4x. You can still listen to the CD while it's recording, or you can listen to other albums on your hard drive.

With a 10 gig hard drive, you're looking at quite a few cds.

Has anyone tried this yet though? I haven't had a chance to try. The manual says you can't use CD-Rs to record cds. I've been burning my music on CD-RWs and it records fine. I just havent tried to record music using CD-Rs.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by myst
The speed the unit records to the hard drive is at 4x. You can still listen to the CD while it's recording, or you can listen to other albums on your hard drive.

Has anyone tried this yet though? I haven't had a chance to try. The manual says you can't use CD-Rs to record cds. I've been burning my music on CD-RWs and it records fine. I just havent tried to record music using CD-Rs.
Mine works fine. I just wish there was a way to get the music out of the headunit onto some other media after it's been ripped.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
if you are highly computer savvy you could always remove the HD and connect it to your computer with a standard external HD case, you may also be able to upgrade it with a larger HD

Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump for a sweet setup that I can't wait to install!

Thanks for the pics!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
There ARE hacks for the Z-1. check out www.avic411.com This site should be able to answer everyones questions about this head unit, as well as the rest of the avic line up.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently you just flash your lights 3 times while the unit is booting without the parking brake engaged.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by myst

i also burn my music onto cd-r which sucks if i cant rip them onto this unit.. can some1 try this n post?

also can u play music videos while ur driving??? or those that fall in the same category as not been able to play dvds while driving??

Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by g'dup13
i also burn my music onto cd-r which sucks if i cant rip them onto this unit.. can some1 try this n post?

also can u play music videos while ur driving??? or those that fall in the same category as not been able to play dvds while driving??
you can copy music burned on to a CD-R but only in the standard music CD format (CDDA) and not MP3, WMA, etc. the quality is not that great once the songs are recorded in the deck, there are skips and blips. per the manual, this is normal. if you do not have any of the hacks or do not flip your lights on while the system boots up, you cannot watch dvd or any other kind of video, and cannot program navi destinations. If you are into music, definitely get the ipod adapter. Also, the unit can read all kinds of discs, dvd, dvd+/-r, vcd, mp3, wma, aac, but can only copy music CDs. I havent tried to burn a DVD-r with mp3s on it yet, however.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM
While the music in the library of my Z1 isn't the same quality as the CD from which it was burned, I haven't noticed any skips or major electronic noise. Listening to the same song as comparison, first CD then Library copy, I notice the copy is not as loud and perhaps a little background noise. I think the library sounds great overall and is a nice feature. I just wish the random setting worked more like an Ipod. When you skip to the next song in random mode on an Ipod, it selects a random new song, the Z1 just goes to the next song down the list from the current one.

Having rear camera, bluetooth, and Ducatiboy's (avic411.com) dimmer module installed today. Will post a review once I've had time to test it all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images