Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions decisions (I200 vs Z1)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Decisions decisions (I200 vs Z1)

well, I always grew up shaking my head at the kids that droped 3g's into an audio system. But it looks like im about to become one.

Im looking for, at a minimum, MP3, Nav, and rear-view camera capabilities.

I was origionaly aw'ed by Apine's new 200 DD head unit, as I've always been a big alpine fan. One reason I liked it so much was due to the fact that since it would use the new Blackbird nav, I could detatch it and take it with me into another vehicle. Who am I kidding, I never take any other vehicles! Also, I already have the XM AI-NET controler. I liked alpine's I-Personalize system, where I could fine tune the audio online and install the settings via CD-R. COOOOL STUFF!

But now there's the Pioneer Z1. It includes Navi with the "base" unit, and it has the HDD capability! That is great right there! Its XM compadible, and XM Traffic-Nav compadible as well, hot stuff! It seems like side-by-side they have a lot of the same exacty features and specs.

I also need to consider compadability and best options for interfacting with amps and new speakers, or if the headunit is capable of driving high-quality speaker-outputs, what would be better for interfacing directly to them.

So lets hear it. If you wanted to replace w/ a DD Nav DVD head unit, which would you go with, the Pioneer Z1 or Alpine 200? Why? Are you brand-loyal?
I much more prefer better sound production over alarm-activating bumping base. Granted I like to turn it up sometimes, but I rather have high quality over quantity....

Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think you really need to decide if you will ever use the blackbird in another car. This is one of the first questions i ask my customers that come in looking for a portable nav unit. Most of the time they say no and we look to move them into an installed nav unit. Another thing to consider is is xmnavtrafic available where you live. If it is available i would highly suggest it. You can not go wrong with either unit, i currently run an Alpine DVA7996 in my truck and LOVE the unit. At the same time from what i have seen during a training from pioneer the Z1 is a sweet unit. The HDD feature is really nice but you must realize that this unit like the eclipse with the same feature it will only store Store bought CD's. it will not store burned cd's.