Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Can I keep the Bluetooth with a aftermarket head unit?? (already searched)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
G RIDIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I keep the Bluetooth with a aftermarket head unit?? (already searched)

Wuz Up

I am looking to upgrade audio and looking to get a double din indash screen for my 2006 G. I already have nav, so I don't need a indash with nav. I was wondering if I can still use my Factory Bluetooth system with a aftermarket indash?? The mic and everything is by the sunroof, but when somebody calls me it automatically mutes the music and you can talk to the person. I was wondering if anybody knows any indash screen system that I can keep the controls on the steering wheel (including the phone on button and phone off button), and be able to use the bluetooth system with it.

Thanks

Mahdi

Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 PM
The problem its too new for anyone to tell you. One would have to take apart the wiring harnesses and see what each wire did what for the bluetooth system, then you would have to create a new harness to connect the system to the appropriate jacks on an aftermarket system. So your answer is maybe, but probably not.

Since you already have a nav you may consider just upgrading the amp and the speakers; otherwise its probably easier to just get a HU with integrated BT...

Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
This was the same problem I ran into. I had my bluetooth set up with my stock system and once I went to an aftermarket HU, the installer couldn't get it to work like it did with the stock HU. Currently, my bluetooth is setup so that I have to manually mute my music and the bluetooth uses its own separate speaker.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
G RIDIN
ohh so u can't use the on/off button on the steering wheel anymore?

thanks a lot for the help guys.

mahdi

Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by MahdiG35
ohh so u can't use the on/off button on the steering wheel anymore?

thanks a lot for the help guys.

mahdi
Do you mean the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU? You won't be able to use the steering wheel controls once you install an aftermarket HU unless you get an additional part. If you want to retain use of the steering wheel controls, you'll have to get a steering wheel interface unit. 40-50 bucks.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Any updates on this topic? Although the BT in the 06 is limited, the auto mute and steering wheel controls do make up for it. Is there anyone out there who attempted to retain the stock BT with an aftermarket HU?

thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
You probably need to find the factory service manual for an 06 before someone can really answer your question (other than trial and error).

I can say for sure that none of PAC's SWI-xxx units support a Bluetooth function. The closest you can get is probably an aftermarket HU with a matching Bluetooth module and reuse your existing mic. If you can find the pinouts for the stock BT module (if it is indeed a separate module) then you can probably get the auto-mute portion to work with an aftermarket HU since most have "telephone/mute" wire.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Another questions along the same line.....anyone know how to keep the bluetooth and wire it w/ an aftermarket amp? i'm trying to add new amps and speakers while keeping the stock HU....

Old 05-18-2006, 01:38 AM
If you tap into the signal from the HU going into the Blose amp you won't have to do anything.

You're not messing with input (the mic or the bluetooth) just the output and as long as your front outs still get wired to the front speakers (via your amp) you should be good.

-b