Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

'06 Bluetooth install gone bad -- No lights & controls don't work on HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 HU Removal gone bad -- No lights & controls don't work on HU

I was installing my new Parrot bluetooth kit with SDGuy's harness in my non-Bose 5AT G35 Sedan. I removed the appropriate panels and got the HU tilted enough to unplug the 2 cables that I needed, plugged everything in correctly using the harness, and turned on the car. Audio was coming through my stereo but there were no lights on the HU display and none of the controls did anything, including the HVAC stuff. I then removed everything and plugged the cables back in like they were stock, and put everything back into its place (panels and all). Still no dice.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? When I was pulling the front plate of the HU off (the part with the display and stuff), there was a ribbon-style cable that pulled out of the cigarette lighter area. I'm guessing this is supposed to be making contact with _something_, but what? I can't see a way to get "through" the cigarette lighter area to find what it was originally making contact with.

Thanks guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this car on Tuesday and I don't want to have to go to the Infiniti dealership already and have them fix my HU because I was a moron :P Thanks again!

Last edited by dracus; 05-07-2006 at 01:18 AM. Reason: More accurate title
Old 05-07-2006, 03:04 AM
I believe the ribbon is your problem. When I removed my HU, I had to unplug the ribbon to remove the face of the HU. If I remember correctly, the ribbon was the only interface that connected the faceplate to the actual HU.

Just reconnect the ribbon and everything should work fine. The way to insert it is to pull the plastic clip first, then insert and lock the ribbon by pushing the clip down.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by nm3th
I believe the ribbon is your problem. When I removed my HU, I had to unplug the ribbon to remove the face of the HU. If I remember correctly, the ribbon was the only interface that connected the faceplate to the actual HU.

Just reconnect the ribbon and everything should work fine. The way to insert it is to pull the plastic clip first, then insert and lock the ribbon by pushing the clip down.

Good luck.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot in a couple hours. Do you know how exactly you get to the area underneath/behind the cigarette lighter to connect the ribbon? It's connected to the HU right now, just not to the other side wherever it pulled out from. I was never able to get the shifter plate completely off, so that might be part of my problem. I'll work on that today too. Thanks again.

EDIT: Also, there is a completely separate cable that connects the faceplate to the actual HU, so that's why I'm so baffled. Maybe one of them is for power and the other is for actual interface connection.

Last edited by dracus; 05-07-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
The easiest way for me to get access to the the ribbon was to completely remove the HU.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah I fixed it. For some reason I was thinking it slid into a small slit between the rubber seal of the cigarette tray and the cigarette tray body. So after much frustration of trying to figure out how to get the cigarette tray apart, I discovered that the ribbon had simply pulled off of the face of the HU, lol.

Anyway, I finished my install and it works great. I took tons of step-by-step pics and I'm writing up a DIY right now. I'll link to it when I'm done.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear that everything is ok.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM
My DIY writeup is complete! You can view it here. I'm also going to post it in the DIY section.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:33 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dracus
My DIY writeup is complete! You can view it here. I'm also going to post it in the DIY section.
An admin or mod will have to post for you in DIY forum, Dracus. Let me know what you want transferred there and I'll do it for you.
If you'd like to post something here, let me know and I'll transfer it from here.

Great instructions and I'm glad the job finally worked out for you.

Colin

Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
An admin or mod will have to post for you in DIY forum, Dracus. Let me know what you want transferred there and I'll do it for you.
If you'd like to post something here, let me know and I'll transfer it from here.

Great instructions and I'm glad the job finally worked out for you.

Colin
Already posted it in this forum: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/98329-diy-2006-g35-5at-sedan-non-bose-parrot-bluetooth-install-includes-dash-dissasembly.html

Feel free to copy/move that thread into the DIY Thanks!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job! Now all you need to to is add a custom wallpaper to your Parrot!

Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Good job! Now all you need to to is add a custom wallpaper to your Parrot!
Yep, upgrading the software later today and uploading a wallpaper