Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

harness bar, 5 point harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question harness bar, 5 point harness

i guess this post is intended for those who really need it. does anyone here use a 5-point harness for HPDE/race days? i just need an idea on how to mount it with a corbeau forza. i'm trying to stick with the NASA CCR's.

from what i gathered, your harness should be attached to the car, not anything attached to the car. the "baby seat" bracket in the rear deck will not suit the shoulder harness. i guess a harness bar is in order unless you guys have any other ideas. ed (Eagle1), your help would be appreciated.

*EDIT stripped interior pictures can be found HERE!

Last edited by n1cK; 05-06-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I went to Gary Castillo down in Lake Forest, and he did a welded six point roll bar set up for me. He did an excellent job. The harness is connected to a solid steel center bar, which is fixed with two "T" pins for quick release. This allows me to pull the bar and the harnesses right out of the car and revert back to the three point shoulder harness that the car comes with stock. The anti sub belt has to be affixed to the floor. You have to be very careful when you do your set up to be sure you comply with the applicable rules (SCCA/NASA) etc. if you are going to be running competition. The nice thing about a roll bar set up with six points is that it adds stiffness to the chassis. The bad of course is that it is additional weight, but for safety....get the bar.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Ed

Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 PM
that helps immensely, thanks Ed! did gary follow the guidelines of the NASA CCR's? were you able to retain your side impact air bags? what modifications were needed?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I kept all the airbags. I did not do a cage, so the forward bars are canted;sloped and bent to allow easy access, but would not be permitted in events where a cage is required. Just tell Gary what you want, what organizations you are going to run in, etc., and he can do a job that is in compliance.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
i'm not looking for a full cage either, just something that will allow me to legally use a harness (and of course provide a small level of rollover protection). i'll need to look into the CCR's to see what events require a cage. do you know of any off the top of your head? also, what did the roll cage run you? just PM it to me if possible. thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
just FYI, i found a harness bar made by NRG Innovations. not exactly sure on the details except that it is made from aluminum. i just wonder how that type of material will hold up on impact and prevent you from flying forward.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by n1cK
just FYI, i found a harness bar made by NRG Innovations. not exactly sure on the details except that it is made from aluminum. i just wonder how that type of material will hold up on impact and prevent you from flying forward.
Just be careful of Z/G compatibility; the width of my Hardbar harness bar is the same for both cars (threads into the pillars with seatbelt mount relocate on the bar, excellent for just a good harness mount).

However, the angle of the ends of the bar and bolt angle are just enough different between my '03 350Z and my '04 G Coupe that I can't use the Hardbar in the G.

Wish I could, it's very beefy for 6 lbs of Aluminum, very stout...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
i just went ahead and scheduled a day to get a cage made. better to be safe than sorry

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Man, I'd like to see some test data, I don't think I'd trust that as much as my OEM seat belt. It just looks very sparse and the mounts very thin, then add to that it's Aluminum, and small diameter, it just says "car show" IMHO.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
i didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from it either.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
i just went ahead and scheduled a day to get a cage made. better to be safe than sorry
I'd be all over that if I lived in your area, track time here is hard to come by. Plus after 3+ years my wife finally decided she likes the car for "family" day trips, so full cage is hard to pull off now.

Love to see pics of that when it's in.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM
here's what it looks like stripped...click HERE!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:57 PM
i tried contacting gary castillo, but to no avail. i left him an e-mail, and he never got back to me. i went with L-Con instead.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L-Con.net talk to Louie.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
already did scheduled to go in at the end of may.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: harness bar, 5 point harness