Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Autocross Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross Alignment

I am running B Stock in Solo II and I am wondering if anyone has had success with changes to the alignment. (yes I know that there is no camber adjustment in the front.) Specifically, do small changes in the rear help the car rotate a little better? Or...?

Old 03-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may help a little. But probably not worth the extra tire wear it'll create the other 99% of the time your driving. Wider tires or even racing tires(if your lucky enough to have extra rims) will make much more of a difference in your times. Also simple things like tire pressure make hugh differences in time. I bring my air compressor to track events. One of the portable air pumps that plugs into your lighter works well too.

Buy a nice air pressure gauge & some white shoe polish. Mark your tires and make adjustment accordingly. There are several good sites that'll explain it better than I can. Of course, you may already know this, in which case I'm just rambling on.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the response. I am running V-710's. I am not worried about the tire wear. I was reading several threads on 350Z boards about reducing the rear negative camber to get better rotation on the tight autocross courses. I am having to use a lot of throttle steer on the tight sections. It doesn't help the times. I should have just tried alignment changes during the winter series, where points don't count. Next event starts the summer series.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better Rotation

I had my alignment redone to the limits of Infiniti spec's. Before the aligment I had rear toe out and + camber. After the alignment i got some toe in and - camber (.5 from the maximum (maybe -1) i cant remember exactly) on the rear, it was already set to 0 toe on the front,. This made a HUGE difference.

A lot less understeer and much better rotation. I had about 19,000 miles on my Pilots and ran about 6,000 more and 2 more autocross events before I was forced to replace them. In that 6,000 miles I didn't have a lot more wear on the inside of the tire than the outside. Maybe a little but nothing that would have reduced the tire life significantly.

All in all i would highly recommend trying out aligment adjustment. If you go to a good shop they should make changes within the first few months for free. Just keep going back in for a tweak here and there to make sure they recognize your face. I did this with jeeps all the time and only had to pay once a year for about 5-6 aligments.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Better Rotation

Patience has paid off. Thanks for the response. It is always helpful to talk to someone that has already tried adjustments, rather than blindly try a bunch of different settings. I have already selected a local alignment shop with race prep experience. I am looking forward to trying the new alignment in two weeks.