Front Plate Mount fix....No Holes Needed

Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
^^$115 for a no plate ticket? dude.. r u in socal? cus its just a $10 fix it ticket here

Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Bump for those of you with OEM bumpers, great idea....
HAHA, I tried the double sided tape thing several years ago, thinking I was
being clever. The Sheriff checked it out smiled and told me to go home and
fix it right....Ouch!
Gary

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was wondering where can one buy the License plate mount from inifiniti?
i am about to purchase a car and the car doesnt come with the License plate mount in front.
thanks

Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by eurodre
^^$115 for a no plate ticket? dude.. r u in socal? cus its just a $10 fix it ticket here
He is from Ontario, Canada.

What a slick idea for a temp plate mount.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
oh damn 115 for a no front plate geez

anyways this is a pretty good idea i'll use this if and when i get a no front plate ticket

Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
this worked like a charm for me

Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Worked for me, thanks.

I did add black electric tape around the perimeter of the holder to reduce the chance of scratching the paint.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks OP! Just what I needed!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 PM
front bumper

Originally Posted by GR8TG35
I can not take the full credit for this one. The DYI was originally posted by civic5zigen, a year or so back....since the pics are no longer visible, I decided to update the thread with some of my own pics.

DISCLAIMER: I post this as a quick fix. I did not leave the plate assembly on for any length of time. Do at your own risk.......

I needed to go to inspection this month, and did not want to spend the $70 for the Stillen plate mount.

I did a search, and found civic5zigen's thread. so here we go.....

Pic #1
remove the tow hook cover on your bumper. I had a tough time with mine, it wouldn't budge. You will need a long flat screwdriver with electrical tape on the tip to reduce any damage. Once popped out, squeeze the side tabs and remove.

Pic #2
Squeeze the two tabs on the sides, and pull the cover out and off....set it aside for re-installation.

Pic #3
Here is the exposed area of the bumper. You may be able to see the small dent I put in the bottom of the opening trying to remove the cover......

Pic #4
I used some 3M Painters' tape to cover the area which the license plate holder makes contact with the bumper. If you were to make this semi-permanent, you should put some soft felt or other material on the holder as not to damage your paint.

Pic #5
Here is the License plate mount that comes with our cars.....I reversed the J-Nut (silver item) so the threaded part was facing outward...this is to prevent any chance of the screw hitting the bumper. I used a small #10 screw to mount the license plate.

Pic #6
This is the clip I used to mount the plate assembly to the car. Its called a binder clip, and comes in many sizes. This one is a medium size and should be adequate. You can find them at Staples or any office supply store....A whole box is about $2.00

Pic #7
Place the bracket assembly in the tow hook opening, and place the clip as shown. Then flip the chrome part upward to allow it to sit flush with the mount. I used a second one on the side, but I don't think its necessary.

Pic #8
Here is the plate assembly mounted with front plate on the car. I tried to shift/loosen it, and it wouldn't budge. I really think this will stay in place unless somebody backs into you.......

Pic #9
A side view of the entire assembly.

I did this for a temporary time so I could pass NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection. I do feel however, the plate assembly will stay in place since I drove over ten (10) miles to the inspection station.

If I was to leave this on for an extended period of time, I would put three clips on. One on the top, and the others on each side as a precaution. I would also fix some felt to the back of the black plastic mount to avoid any possible scratches on the bumper.

It worked for me, and it would be great for a quick "fix it" ticket. No Holes, No $70 bucks out of pocket.
Hope this helps anyone out there that needs to temporarily mount their front plate.
ok where would i get that little square piece for the front bumper insert?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
i bought my car and it already had the license plate mount bracket thing installed... i really would like to remove it, but then there is that gaping whole in the bumper? any idea as to where i can buy the cover for it?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by accel0r8
i bought my car and it already had the license plate mount bracket thing installed... i really would like to remove it, but then there is that gaping whole in the bumper? any idea as to where i can buy the cover for it?
You can contact Grubbs, here's the link: https://g35driver.com/forums/exterio...al-prices.html

Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Dang... I can't see any pictures.
I have no idea how the binder clip's supposed to work as the front plate bracket.
Can anyone repost the picture? (just bought a used coupe, without bracket in place.)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^

you need the front plate bracket... the binder clip just secures the bracket to the bumper..
i just did this a few wweeks ago and it has remained on no problem, only using 1 clip, although I want to put 2 more on the other sides.. my bumper had holes already but the previous owner drilled holes that werent level, so it always looked crooked

thanks for this idea!!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome

Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM
beats getting a ticket... specially in jersey

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Front Plate Mount fix....No Holes Needed