Front Plate Mount fix....No Holes Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Front Plate Mount fix....No Holes Needed

I can not take the full credit for this one. The DYI was originally posted by civic5zigen, a year or so back....since the pics are no longer visible, I decided to update the thread with some of my own pics.

DISCLAIMER: I post this as a quick fix. I did not leave the plate assembly on for any length of time. Do at your own risk.......

I needed to go to inspection this month, and did not want to spend the $70 for the Stillen plate mount.

I did a search, and found civic5zigen's thread. so here we go.....

Pic #1
remove the tow hook cover on your bumper. I had a tough time with mine, it wouldn't budge. You will need a long flat screwdriver with electrical tape on the tip to reduce any damage. Once popped out, squeeze the side tabs and remove.
Name:  towhookcover1.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  28.6 KB

Pic #2
Squeeze the two tabs on the sides, and pull the cover out and off....set it aside for re-installation.
Name:  towhookcover2.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  27.4 KB

Pic #3
Here is the exposed area of the bumper. You may be able to see the small dent I put in the bottom of the opening trying to remove the cover......
Name:  front-bumperopening.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  21.2 KB

Pic #4
I used some 3M Painters' tape to cover the area which the license plate holder makes contact with the bumper. If you were to make this semi-permanent, you should put some soft felt or other material on the holder as not to damage your paint.
Name:  taped-opening.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  26.7 KB

Pic #5
Here is the License plate mount that comes with our cars.....I reversed the J-Nut (silver item) so the threaded part was facing outward...this is to prevent any chance of the screw hitting the bumper. I used a small #10 screw to mount the license plate.
Name:  plateholderpic1.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  58.3 KB

Pic #6
This is the clip I used to mount the plate assembly to the car. Its called a binder clip, and comes in many sizes. This one is a medium size and should be adequate. You can find them at Staples or any office supply store....A whole box is about $2.00
Name:  mountingclippic.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  85.1 KB

Pic #7
Place the bracket assembly in the tow hook opening, and place the clip as shown. Then flip the chrome part upward to allow it to sit flush with the mount. I used a second one on the side, but I don't think its necessary.
Name:  plateholdermounted.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  26.8 KB

Pic #8
Here is the plate assembly mounted with front plate on the car. I tried to shift/loosen it, and it wouldn't budge. I really think this will stay in place unless somebody backs into you.......
Name:  frontplatefinishedpic.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  82.7 KB

Pic #9
A side view of the entire assembly.
Name:  platesideview.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  64.2 KB

I did this for a temporary time so I could pass NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection. I do feel however, the plate assembly will stay in place since I drove over ten (10) miles to the inspection station.

If I was to leave this on for an extended period of time, I would put three clips on. One on the top, and the others on each side as a precaution. I would also fix some felt to the back of the black plastic mount to avoid any possible scratches on the bumper.

It worked for me, and it would be great for a quick "fix it" ticket. No Holes, No $70 bucks out of pocket.
Hope this helps anyone out there that needs to temporarily mount their front plate.

The following users liked this post:
Carrottop401 (12-31-2011)
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I had mine mounted on to a double sided tape.

Worked just as fine.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work dude.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
nice i just may try that

Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i had mine that exact same way never fell off...

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I used this before also, with a bigger clip though. The clip is very strong, stronger than you would think. Great pictures. This should go in the DIY section.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the support. I believe if you padded the back of the plastic plate mount, and used maybe Stainless Steel Clips, which I do believe you can find, this would work as effective as drilling the holes in the bumper.

At least it gives you the option to quickly remove the plate assembly if you enter a show or go back to being plateless in the front.

And by the way, I passed inspection with my clear corners w/the amber bulbs.

Last edited by GR8TG35; 10-02-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Awesome, am curious w/ this setup... does the backing for the front plate ever hit against the paint and overtime cause damage to the clearcoat?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I don't know if it would actually mark up the bumper, some have taken their plate assemblies off and to my knowledge no one stated that it was marked.

If you look at the back of the plate holder assembly, (black piece) I think that there maybe some contact around the opening of the took hook area.....that being said, If I was to put this set up on full time, I would most likely buy some felt and attach it around those areas......

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How secure is it using the binder clip to hold up the license plate?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
How secure is it using the binder clip to hold up the license plate?
Very. I had it on for several months. Once you get it on you'll see that it's not going anywhere. I did put some foam tape on the back of the bracket to protect my bumper. Can't see any marks now that it's back off (after the signature ).

Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Nice write up. I just used this to put my plate on after I got a fix-it ticket here in Cali. BTW, the cop at the sheriff's inspection actually shook the plate and told me it was unacceptable. He said it must be mounted "more securely" but I smooth talked him a little and he let me pass anyway.

Next time, I'm using 3 binder clips. And I know there will be a next time since my plate is off again!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by shimmy
Nice write up. I just used this to put my plate on after I got a fix-it ticket here in Cali. BTW, the cop at the sheriff's inspection actually shook the plate and told me it was unacceptable. He said it must be mounted "more securely" but I smooth talked him a little and he let me pass anyway.

Next time, I'm using 3 binder clips. And I know there will be a next time since my plate is off again!
Wow, that's one **** cop! most don't even bother looking since you're "wasting their time" for something petty like that..
you'd think that LA sheriff's would have something better to do then try to pull your plate off,

Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for this!

I hadn't mounted the front plate since I bought my coupe 8 months ago. Got pulled over once and got a warning a few months ago ....

just got pulled over again last week ... $115 ticket Cop said if I put the plate on he'll recommend to have the ticket dropped.

Anyway, used this method and attached the plate in less than a minute! AMAZING! Don't let Stillen know you have this work around -- you could put them out of business

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Front Plate Mount fix....No Holes Needed