DIY: Suspension installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY: Suspension installed

So I finally installed a set of revised shocks and springs from an 05 350z. It was pretty easy and I made a DIY with photos for all you guys. Seriously, don't pay a mechanic to do this, have fun and do it yourself.

http://www.g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
badass. nice job!! i still wouldn't have the ***** to try myself... after looking at your pics, it still looks complicated

Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice find. ndlive...it's not that bad I think you can do it. I am wiating for my new setup again and I amgoing to pocket the 200.00 and do it myself.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you dont need a spring compressor?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Z0Six
you dont need a spring compressor?
If you are replacing just the springs you need a spring compressor, if you are doing a full suspension swap, which Diesel did then you dont need it.

Great write up Diesel, i do a few things different when i do my spring installs, but either way it gets the job done in the same amount of time.
-GP-

Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
That was kick azz DIY. Good job ! I commend you, it looked cold out there.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea it was in the 30's I think... but all that wrenching keeps you warm. I read other people's DIY's before and I think my way is alot faster. A spring compressor is only necessary if you need to change the front springs and keep the same shocks.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Nice DIY. It is always good to see people like yourself take the time to do stuff like this for others benefit.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I just followed these directions last night! worked perfect the only problem that I had was removing the front strut... it looked soooooooo easy in the video but took me about 15 min of wrestling to get it out... other than that it was a cake walk!!!

THANKS!

Scott

Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you do about the strut top mounts for the fronts? When I replaced mine(about a year and a half ago), I had to use a spring compressor to compress the spring, then remove the top mount. I then moved the spring to the new strut, and had to compress it again to put the top mount on the new strut.

The place and remove the topmounts, I needed to place the strut in my step-dad's vice, otherwise torquing the center nut would just rotate the entire strut.

Do you have a better method? I'm considering going with a different suspension up front, and doing the work myself, but I don't have a vice to use at home.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
What did you do about the strut top mounts for the fronts? When I replaced mine(about a year and a half ago), I had to use a spring compressor to compress the spring, then remove the top mount. I then moved the spring to the new strut, and had to compress it again to put the top mount on the new strut.

The place and remove the topmounts, I needed to place the strut in my step-dad's vice, otherwise torquing the center nut would just rotate the entire strut.

Do you have a better method? I'm considering going with a different suspension up front, and doing the work myself, but I don't have a vice to use at home.
I did the same thing, I used a vice. Just a thought, if you torqued it down as much as possible, then installed the strut, can you then torque the center nut from under the hood? I am thinking this should prevent the rotating.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
spring install

hey guys,
Just a note. I just install some tein h-techs today on my 03' coupe. If your planning this install some helpfull hints i found. The factory manual tells you to undo bottom shock bolt and upper mounting isolator..yada yada yada...
at that point they say to remove strut assembly...GOOD LUCK! here is what i did and it made it WAY easier. Remove the lower arm bolt holding the lower suspension on and the sway bar bolt. This will allow the lower part of the suspension to drop out of the way allowing the strut to damm near fall right out. It is two more bolts... saving major time. I did have access to a lift and the job for all four corners took 3 hrs total. Good luck...sorry i took no photos...
Rob

Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
8mm

Originally Posted by jameyb
I did the same thing, I used a vice. Just a thought, if you torqued it down as much as possible, then installed the strut, can you then torque the center nut from under the hood? I am thinking this should prevent the rotating.
What i did was use a 8mm open end wrench to hold the tip of the shock and then used a i think a 17 or 19 mm open end wrench to tighted the center nut as much as i could with the spring commpressor on. then power tooled the center nut to tourqe.
Rob

Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM
great DIY....the movie clip was a nice touch...thanks!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Sneaker Whore
Nice Write up..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Suspension installed