Hawk HPS SQUEAL solution??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk HPS SQUEAL solution??

Hi everyone,

I got my set of HPS fronts today........ I followed the bedding procedure that Gordgee posted sometime ago. But it squeals like no tomorrow, especially when u lightly brake from 30-50km/h. I am having a headache....

Anyone have solutions??? Should I just go get another type of pads??

Clinton

Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
did you remove the brake pad shims from the back of the old pads and transfer them to the Hawk pads?

If not this may certainly be a reason for the squealing.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
i am not sure......... but i think so.......
coz my shop did it for me

Old 07-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My solution was to change to the Axxis pads. I used almost a whole bottle of anti squeel compound and it never fully got rid of the squeel. The axxis are a little louder when I brake (marginally, most wouldn't hear it but I can when the window is down), but they don't squeel. This is only after a few days but so far, so good.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 PM
IQ9
I have the HPS pads and no nosie what so ever...could tempature have any bearing hot pads to cold pads? Do they make noise all the time?

Old 07-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I just replaced my pads with the Hawk HPS pads and they rock. Absolutely zero squeal whatsoever. Be sure to do the following when changing them to avoid any squeal. I'm not a pro or mechanic so any experts can feel free to add tips to what I did.

I put the car on jackstands and let off all the brakes with shifter in neutral. This lets you spin the rotors during the cleaning and sanding processes.

1. Remove old pads. Pry off shims from old pads. This is often missed as they are stuck directly to the back of the old pads.

2. Wash clean and dry all parts including the rotors. I did it with the rotors and calipers still on. You can reach inside of the caliper to get to the back side of the rotor.

3. Lightly sand both sides of your rotors to remove the old brake dust and assure they are smooth and clean. Wash them off again to assure they are clean. You may need to turn your rotors if they are warped or damaged by changing pads too late etc. I read not to turn them in a bunch of threads unless they are damaged or you are getting pulsations. Glad I didn't turn them as it was totally not necessary.

4. Apply antisqueal spray on back of new pads and both surfaces of the old shims. My rear brembos had the shims stuck to the pads and also had another pair of shiney silver shims on top of those.

5. Let the spray foam and set for 10 minutes. Put it all together and perform the bedding process on the HPS website.

I'm not a pro but it all worked flawlessly for me!!!!!!! Good Luck.

Last edited by r6chiro; 07-16-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 AM
OK, maybe I got over reacted the first day I got it since it was really really embarassing to drive around with the squeal.

I follow the procedure for bedding from another forum member.
I think I temporarily cured the problem with only very little squeak today.
This is what I did:

Make 3 to 4 stops from driving 85 mph (140km/h)
*note: pads will be smoking hot by now. I can see my pads smoking under a outside temperature of 30 deg celcius.*
Drive the car to a place where it can rest for 15/20 minutes.

After that, I went home and let the car sit while I sleep. Next day, it is all better.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
You won't ever have to hear the brakes squeal if you quit stepping on the brakes

Old 07-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
HP+ compounds from Hawk are known to have squealing as well, and we have done something about this.

After years of research, development and tests, we are proudly announcing the release of RB high performance brake shims (brake noise and heat insulator) that will provide the solution to alleviate the squeaky noise associated with performance pads braking or even stock pad set up with money back guarantee result.

RB High performance brake shims also allow drivers to use more aggressive brake pads without generating the annoyed and embarrassing noise with the additional benefit of shielding the heat transmitting to caliper and improve your brake performance both on street and track.

Read more here:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake_Shims_s/2447.htm

Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks like sth that I will try

Old 07-20-2006, 05:08 PM
At first I was going to try the brake shims
but then it looks like it will still squeal when its hot........from the wrx owner
i am still a skeptic

Old 07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
IQ9
I'm glad Racing Brake is looking out for us.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:00 PM
i just put the axxis ultimate brake pads on my car and they squeal when i come to a stop and let off the brakes and then reapply the brakes. when im going like 40mph and i step on the brakes i have no sound at all. i didnt put the old shims on the car because one of the mechanics said the new pads came with shims. was he bsing because he didnt want to take them off and do it the right way? any help on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Last edited by bull3t; 07-30-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bull3t
i just put the axxis ultimate brake pads on my car and they squeal when i come to a stop and let off the brakes and then reapply the brakes. when im going like 40mph and i step on the brakes i have no sound at all. i didnt put the old shims on the car because one of the mechanics said the new pads came with shims. was he bsing because he didnt want to take them off and do it the right way? any help on how to solve this would be appreciated.
Many of the new pads have backing plates that work like shims; i.e. the Hawk come with back plates that dun require shims

Old 08-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Most people get the squeak. I did in the Cobra. Best thing to do is to change them out. They stop well, but I could not stand the squeak.
EBC green stuff pads are just as good with no squeak.

At HIN Miami, there was a Hawk rep. there tyring to sell her products and gather feedback. UFGatorG35 and I gave her an earfull on how crappy it is to have squealing brakes and to redo them b/c people hate them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS SQUEAL solution??