Tire information and ratings -- Performance / Safety

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation Tire information and ratings -- Performance / Safety

I am creating this thread for those who want great information on tires. For many of us we live in areas were it snows and rains for good portions of the year and still want a performance tire, but at the same time want safety while driving in harsh conditions.

I live in Florida so for about 5-6 months of the year it rains everyday and having a high performance tire is great when it is dry out, but is not practicle when it is poring rain out. So i need a tire that is capable of pumping out tons of water per foot as well as a tire that i can get a bit crazy with and still have awesome performance.

If everyone will put the link to the tires they have and write a little bit about how they perform in different conditions that would be great!

---------------- I'll start

Last edited by Nismo G; 08-27-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...forcetakdw.jsp

This is a great tire and performs exceptionally well in rain, When it is dry out this tire will grip the road extremely well. Only complaint i have about it is that it seems to be a little loud. The wear on the tire is great it seems to wear farely slow. All in all i would give it an B-

Last edited by Nismo G; 12-22-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Well I switched up my tires again this time i wanted to try something new so i went with the goodyear GS-D3 F1. I previously had the BF goodrich KDWs on my car and all i can say is wow, what a difference in ride and feel. The BFGs seemed to be made of a harder compound compared to these tires. At first it scared me when i got in the car as i could not hear the road at all where with the BFGs thats all you could hear was the road. The ride seems to be extremely smooth and is for sure extremely quiet. So far i have only drove a couple hundred miles on them, but i would already recommend these over the BFGs.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/e...SD3_innov.html

EDIT: Im looking forward to seeing how it performs in the rain, but so far i would give this tire a grade of A

EDIT 2: Drove in the rain for a couple hours and was VERY impressed with its resistance to hydroplaning.

Last edited by Nismo G; 09-16-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM
I am still the only one to respond to my own thread

Switched tires again! This time i went with the toyo T1R. So far i have had them on the car for a couple thousand miles and i have been impressed with how the tire performs in wet and dry conditions, but the only downfall i have had with this tire is the fact that it is EXTREMELY loud!! On the interstate with the music pretty loud you still can hear everything the tire touches. Drove 2 hours in the pouring rain the other night and the T1R didn't have any problem slicing through the rain. Not once did i even question its ability to loose traction. The price of this tire isn't bad and was very competitive with the other brands prices.

If you are not concerned about road noise then this is the tire for you.

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...category=sport

Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn i need new tires soon. the rain season is probably gonna start late in the area i'm in so i have a month or two to shop around but once the rain and snow hits, the rwd is gonna suffer. i'm gonna look into the BFG's you used. i wonder what tires i'll get after winter is over though.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by jfresh
damn i need new tires soon. the rain season is probably gonna start late in the area i'm in so i have a month or two to shop around but once the rain and snow hits, the rwd is gonna suffer. i'm gonna look into the BFG's you used. i wonder what tires i'll get after winter is over though.
So far the goodyear gs-d3 tires are the best i have ever had for wet conditions. The just sliced through the rain without a problem.

-Sean

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately with all the tire replacements necessary on our cars, we will all invevitably become experts on different brands after a few years.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always run BFG KDW2. They do take a while to wear, which is nice. When they get below 50% tread, they become noisy for me.

One time when I just got new KDW2, I was stopped on a hill. I turned the wheel and the VDC light came on. I have never had this happen to me. I am not sure if it was because I was running different tires from oem spec or that the tires gripped the road so well.

All in all, KDW2 are above average.

I am considering TR1s next for some reason.

Tread wear ratings and other tires (PS2 and 452) would be useful to this thread.

I believe, the tread wear rating of TR1 is 280 and KDW2 is 300.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tread wear rating is relative to that manufacturer of tires...just because its 300 for company a it doesnt mean company b is the same for their 300 rating...

Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wore out the stock Goodyear Eagle NCT-5's at 8k miles due to lets just say spirited driving. then i got a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx's and WOW! lets just say i will keep buying these until i get a free trail set of the falken 452's. this tire does not lose grip in the dry for anything. the stocks would break loose alot. now on to wet performance. the old tires i just stepped on it and they went crazy. the Dunlops are amazing in the wet which is important considering im in south florida and it rains constantly about 5-7 months out of the year. tread is good. put them on at 8k miles....17250 miles and counting. they have about 30-40% thread left so they will last and i drive em hard.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=SP+Sport+Maxx

cheap too, compared to the NCT5's at 300 bucks a pop.