Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfarrah
I emailed Kuah at SPL with your questions/concerns and here is his reply:

"The rod ends have a Teflon/Kevlar lining between the ball and the housing, this lining provides the lubrication, so no grease is needed. The rod ends are also self-cleaning because the lining seals tight against the ball, and wipes any dirt off as the ball rotates into the housing. These rod ends are maintenance free.

The rod ends are all 5/8” chromoly, they are individually rated for radial loads on the bearing exceeding 18,000lbs and shear loads on the thread/bolt exceeding 23,000lbs, providing a safety rating of at least 10:1."

Hope this answers your questions.
Thanks for taking the time to get with Kuah, I appreciate it.

I didn't realize the rod ends were 5/8ths of an inch. They look much smaller in the photos.

Is your car a daily driver?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
Thanks for taking the time to get with Kuah, I appreciate it.

I didn't realize the rod ends were 5/8ths of an inch. They look much smaller in the photos.

Is your car a daily driver?
No problem. The arms are very sturdy and solid-if you saw them in person you'd know what I mean. Maybe I should take a pic next to the stock arm for comparison.

I daily drive the z33 80% of the time I'd say. I drive my s/c stang vert sometimes when I need a back seat or the weather is nice and want to take the top down. It's a gas guzzler so I normally drive the Z. My z32 TT is still in pieces-haven't driven it in over a year now. Will be a beast when I'm done though!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:20 PM
_jb
Photographer

No problem. The arms are very sturdy and solid-if you saw them in person you'd know what I mean. Maybe I should take a pic next to the stock arm for comparison.
That would be cool. It would give a better frame of reference.

I daily drive the z33 80% of the time I'd say. I drive my s/c stang vert sometimes when I need a back seat or the weather is nice and want to take the top down. It's a gas guzzler so I normally drive the Z. My z32 TT is still in pieces-haven't driven it in over a year now. Will be a beast when I'm done though!
Geez... Sounds like you have some neat cars...

I was just curious as to how the SPL arms were to live with on a daily basis... Noisy? Squeaky??

Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
That would be cool. It would give a better frame of reference.

Geez... Sounds like you have some neat cars...

I was just curious as to how the SPL arms were to live with on a daily basis... Noisy? Squeaky??
I'll have to take a pics of the arms side by side next time I'm up at SPL.

As for my cars they're all very modded. I bought the stang already done up though. I bought it for a daily driver after I sunk so much cash into the z32 I didn't want to risk it on the road with all the idiot drivers. I'd never get my money back if it was ever in a wreck plus it was pretty stiff to drive on the street after I installed the JIC FLT-A2's on it. It was my first domestic car and I wanted a convertible with a backseat-a 911 was a little out of my price range...

Regarding any noise from the SPL arms, I haven't noticed any.

Last edited by sfarrah; 09-22-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
_jb
Photographer

I'll have to take a pics of the arms side by side next time I'm up at SPL.
That would be cool.

How much difference in weight is there between the stock arms and the SPL arms?

Old 09-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
these arms look good and the specs are about the same as the SPC ones as far as the camber and caster range. I've never heard of SPL before, not very familiar with their products, but by the pics looks good. But also the price of the SPL arms is just a little higher than the introductory price for the SPC arms.

What are the main pro/cons between the two sets other than possibly a few pounds of weight savings? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
these arms look good and the specs are about the same as the SPC ones as far as the camber and caster range. I've never heard of SPL before, not very familiar with their products, but by the pics looks good. But also the price of the SPL arms is just a little higher than the introductory price for the SPC arms.

What are the main pro/cons between the two sets other than possibly a few pounds of weight savings? Thanks.
SPL has been offerring suspension components for z32's and 240's for about 5years now I think. Check out the website and the writeup on Sport Compact Car magazing on the suspension buildup for the project 300zx. They are considered the premiere suspension provider in the z32 and 240sx markets.

As for the differences, here is an overview I posted over on my350z.com.

SPC
-1.5/+3.5 camber
+/- 1 caster
Steel tubing
Rubber bushings
$429 intro price, $750 retail

SPL
-2/+3 camber
+/-1 caster
Chromoly tubing
Chromoly spherical bearings
$459 intro price. Regular price is $549

Most importantly SPL uses a threaded adjuster, not a sliding plate that relies on friction between 2 plates tightened together to hold its setting. I would never use a sliding plate design again after seeing the number of Stillen and Noltec arms for the 300ZX slipping in use. I swapped my Notlec slip box arms on my personal 300zx after only a few months use and went with an SPL designed threaded adjuster. They simply will not slip.

I have been using the new 350z SPL arms for several months now and used Hoosier slicks at the last 3 track events (Zcon at MSR Ft Worth, Hallett in OK and Texas Motor Speedway-videos to come soon) and the arms held up perfectly. I have taken turns at 140mph with these things and would not have been so confident in any other design. The threaded adjuster is also easier to set back and forth for track/street use than people think, I just measure the length of the threads or count the turns and can quickly and accurately dial in extra camber for the track. The caster adjustment is independent of the camber adjustment so caster is not affected when I change camber for the track. I don’t know the specific adjustment mechanism of the SPC arms but it looks like it has just one locking nut for both camber and caster plus the spacers, so it will be difficult to keep caster fixed if you want to just quickly adjust camber at the track.

Mark at SGP just rec'd his first shipment of the arms and seems to be impressed with them. Here is his post on my350z.com http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218802

I'm sure the SPC arms are fine for the street but for the track or any hard driving I don't see why anyone wouldn't purchase the SPL's. For $20 more I'd get them even if you're just using them for the street. I also believe these to be a superior design to the much higher priced Stillen and 350EVO arms. These are a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm . . . This thread had taken on an interesting turn.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
_jb
Photographer

Yes, it has... It appears that SPL took the window of opportunity from SPC...

Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup, that's the same point as my review on g35Frenzy. I've received the package and they're very study.

SPC is good, just that SPL is better and suitable for all around application. Now the only thing left is to wait for my coilovers.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Are any of these front camber kits even out? The SPC & SPL Fronts?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by richboy
Are any of these front camber kits even out? The SPC & SPL Fronts?
SPL is out-looks like SPC is delayed, but I'm really not sure.
SPL can be purchased at www.splparts.com under the multilink section in suspension. I believe SGP is now carrying them also.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sfarrah,
Thanks for your input on the pro/cons. I am very interested in the way the SPL arms were developed by using chromoly. I gave it much thought and since I do not track my car at all, i will be staying with my purchase of the SPC arms. If i cancel the preorder now with SPC, it is subject to a 15% charge on the amount . Since the ranges are basically identical, i'll stick with the preorder. Now if i didn't have the preorder i would go with the SPL. The quality and durability seem better.

You mentioned that the SPC arms use rubber bushings, i thought it was polyurethane . Can you confirm that? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
You mentioned that the SPC arms use rubber bushings, i thought it was polyurethane . Can you confirm that? Thanks for the help.
In a PM conversation with Peter@IAP, he confirmed that the bushings are rubber as well as the ball joint boot.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by dklau33
In a PM conversation with Peter@IAP, he confirmed that the bushings are rubber as well as the ball joint boot.
Just wanted to clarify that I haven't ever conversed with Peter. May have been someone else, but it wasn't me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPC front camber delivery extended!!