H-Tech/D-Spec Combo vs. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H-Tech/D-Spec Combo vs. Coilovers

Auto-x frequently, track twice a year at most and mainly a daily driver. You think that the combo will be sufficient? Obviously, coilovers cost more and have more adjustability, but I don't want to waste my money on coilovers if I don't use them to their full potential. Will most likely be dropping the car the same height the H-Techs would have. Maybe .2" lower for the rear.

Coilover I have been looking at:
STANCE
Buddy Club
HKS RS (used)
JIC (used)

Will be paired with:
Battle Version Rear Camber/Toe Kit, if HKS/JIC, then SPC Kit instead.
Nothing planned for Front Camber.

Last edited by Dan_K; 09-05-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am trying to make a final decision, as well. I have the Z H-Techs on now and am deciding on whether to toss on the Dspec 9's or go with Stance coilovers.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Andy, if you want to go with Tokico's and I decide to go with coilovers than you can have mine. Brand new in box.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
The 350Z H-tech/D-spec combo will be fine for the street, but for autocross you'll likely be wanting. Vs your coilover choices, they will all kill them on the course hands down. I really like the RS, but wish it had full height adjustablity. I would be a bit leary of used Jics, and I'll point out that not all version's that "fit" on a G35 are tuned or sprung the same.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 AM
"gas" dampers have a longer life compared to "oil" coilovers

Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 AM
there's a guy on the my350z forums, I think his name is knight_white99 or something like that who has the D-specs and Tom Motorsport springs (500lbs/in) all around. He tracks frequently and loves the combination. From his posts and others that I've read, the D-spec combo, not necessarily the H-spec springs though, has had good results at the track. I myself am thinking about the D-specs for their adjustability. I know they don't have ride height adjustment, but as it is I already scrape at times, so I'm not sure if I want much of a drop in height.

Coilovers would be also better in the fact that you can corner balance your car too, but I'm not sure if most people here go to those lengths rather than simply lowering the car an even amount around to make it look nice. If you're looking for suspension reviews, I reccomend our sister site my350z.com since I think there's more people who track their 350z than people here that track their g35, so the sheer amount of feedback there for on-track experience seems a little more plentiful.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would get your 350z H-Tech/D-Spec combo and spend the rest
on track wheels and tires. no meaning to have high damp/spring rates
if your tires are slipping..

Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hayaku
there's a guy on the my350z forums, I think his name is knight_white99 or something like that who has the D-specs and Tom Motorsport springs (500lbs/in) all around. He tracks frequently and loves the combination. From his posts and others that I've read, the D-spec combo, not necessarily the H-spec springs though, has had good results at the track. I myself am thinking about the D-specs for their adjustability. I know they don't have ride height adjustment, but as it is I already scrape at times, so I'm not sure if I want much of a drop in height.

Coilovers would be also better in the fact that you can corner balance your car too, but I'm not sure if most people here go to those lengths rather than simply lowering the car an even amount around to make it look nice. If you're looking for suspension reviews, I reccomend our sister site my350z.com since I think there's more people who track their 350z than people here that track their g35, so the sheer amount of feedback there for on-track experience seems a little more plentiful.
And I made him aware that he's running the shocks over and above Tokico's max recommended spring rates of 450lbs. He may like the setup, but that doesn't mean he's not purposely overlooking certain element's tired into underdamping that will be especially noticeable on the street and getting himself within Tokico's recommended range may actually reduce his lap times, but he will never know if he's smug in the idea that all is totally well.

I ran Koni's with coilovers of my own creation on 448lbs rates and ended up nearly maxed out on rebound control. Oem based shocks also have a more serious deficently vs coilovers that is insuffecient bump travel. Even with special Koni bump stops that are much shorter then trimmed down oem units, I could not get enough suspension travel. It was enough of a issue that I have now walked away from my Koni's and all the time and money spent on the coilover conversion.