Slip Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How worn are the tires?
Do you have the same brand tires on front and back and if not did you make sure the OD is the same as OEM?

I've had this happen twice since I bought the car, both times were explainable... The first time was due to tread wear; the rear tires were worn so the revolutions were slightly off and the computer picked that up. this was fixed with 2 new rear tires.
The second time I bought some cheaper rear tires (I go through allot) and the outside diameter was slightly larger than specifications, so the revolutions were slightly off and the CPU again detected this. this was fixed by purchasing the same brand front tire as the rear which balanced the revolutions and the slip stopped blinking on.

I now always use the same brand tires on front and back and don't let the rear get so worn before I change them.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
DTG
Thanks for your feedback, but to answer your questions...

I already stated in my post that I'm running Michelin PS F&R in 225/45 and 245/45 (OEM fitment). The tires are all ini great shape with less than 5k miles on them.

I don't believe its the tires.

Originally Posted by htownboy
How worn are the tires?
Do you have the same brand tires on front and back and if not did you make sure the OD is the same as OEM?

I've had this happen twice since I bought the car, both times were explainable... The first time was due to tread wear; the rear tires were worn so the revolutions were slightly off and the computer picked that up. this was fixed with 2 new rear tires.
The second time I bought some cheaper rear tires (I go through allot) and the outside diameter was slightly larger than specifications, so the revolutions were slightly off and the CPU again detected this. this was fixed by purchasing the same brand front tire as the rear which balanced the revolutions and the slip stopped blinking on.

I now always use the same brand tires on front and back and don't let the rear get so worn before I change them.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow, weird.. I have the exact same problem. Only on right-hand sweepers that really shouldn't make the car slide. My car is also at 42K miles and has the OEM 18s w/ Brembo package (and is still completely stock). But, i know my brake pads are low, and am planning to replace them soon. I can replicate it pretty easily , but the problem is that i need to do it on certain roads... none of which are close to a dealer...

Originally Posted by DTG
Has anyone visited the dealer or resolved the problem. I have the same exact issue BEFORE and AFTER suspension mods.

The Slip/VDC only engages on RIGHT-HAND turns and not on left-hand turns.

My car was bone stock with 42k miles and the OEM 18s and Brembo package. All fluid levels were fine and I had just bought the car. I took it to the dealer more than twice for the same issue and both times the dealer said he could not replicate the problem... go figure.

I thought maybe the car is soft from the factory and at 42k miles the suspension may be tired (althought the tires are brand new Mich PS). I replaced all the suspension with the following:

KW Variant 2 (set to medium and lowered 1.2" F&R)
Hotchkis sways (set to medium F&R)
Richie FSB
Stillen RSB
GTSpec Mid-chassis and Rear Tie braces
SPC rear camber kit (Front camber is -2.0 and rear is -1.7)
JBT F&R BBK (6-piston & 4-piston) with high-grade brake fluid
OEM 18s with 225 and 245 Mich PS (lots of tread remaining)

This is a very nice setup, but I continue to have the problem only on right-handed sweeps.

It does NOT do this on Hard corners... just on long sweeps.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
DTG

You may have tried to PM me, but my inbox was full. I have deleted some messages. My problem was also gentle sweeping right hand bends only. But over the course of a few weeks it went away. It always happened within about 10 mins of a journey from cold. I had Michelin PS2 tyres. I assumed the ECU adapted over time, or it went away because I wore the tyres in over a few weeks. Not sure. How long you had the problem, and what changes did you make prior to experiencing the problem - can you pinpoint when it started?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 AM
DTG
Originally Posted by uk350gt
DTG

You may have tried to PM me, but my inbox was full. I have deleted some messages. My problem was also gentle sweeping right hand bends only. But over the course of a few weeks it went away. It always happened within about 10 mins of a journey from cold. I had Michelin PS2 tyres. I assumed the ECU adapted over time, or it went away because I wore the tyres in over a few weeks. Not sure. How long you had the problem, and what changes did you make prior to experiencing the problem - can you pinpoint when it started?
I did try to PM you but the box was full. No problem, we can discuss it here since it's the topic of this thread anyway.

I bought the car as a certified preowned from a large dealer with 42k miles and 100k mile warranty. The car was bone stock and this problem occured the first week I bought it... I was entering the highway at about 45 to 50 mph and the onramp had a very gentle (i.e. 30 to 45 degree curve) sweep and the left front tire started shuddering as though it was losing traction. The street was dry and the temps were in the 90s so the tires were very warm. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not replicate the problem.

Then a couple of weeks later, the same exact thing happened on a different street. I took it again and of course again they could not figure it out.

The third time I was coming home late at night and had plenty of margin for error so I took a similar curve at about 65-70 mph and then all hell broke loose! The VDC kicked in so violently that the car started skipping and plowing like a pig. At that point, I decided to just upgrade ths suspension and hopefully solve the problem.

I upgrated to KW V2, Hotchkis, GTSpec, F&R strut braces and even a F&R BBK.

Long story short, I'm still having the same exact problem.

It can't be the tires because I'm running perfectly good Michelin PS F&R in factory OEM sizes.

It also can't be the tires because it only does this on right hand turns no matter the speed...

Hell, my wife's Acura RL takes the same turns at three times the speed I can take them!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Same problem here..only on the right hand turns...i need to work out my problems with the brakes first..ill let you guys know if it does anything..i have low brake pads and i think i bled my brakes wrong..

but i did notice one thing...when going into a turn at a good speed, as long as you dont decelerate at all i didnt have that problem. either accelerate more or gas it enough to not have the weight of the car go to the front...it may have to do with the fluids?? i dunno...but try it out..

Originally Posted by CliffJumper
Wow, weird.. I have the exact same problem. Only on right-hand sweepers that really shouldn't make the car slide. My car is also at 42K miles and has the OEM 18s w/ Brembo package (and is still completely stock). But, i know my brake pads are low, and am planning to replace them soon. I can replicate it pretty easily , but the problem is that i need to do it on certain roads... none of which are close to a dealer...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Very strange. I wonder if this problem was there before you purchased, or perhaps the previous owner changed things back to stock prior to selling. It seems that it always happens on right hand gentle turns. Can you re-create the problem by re-driving the exact section of road at the same speed / road conditions (ie re-drive the section immediately after the occurence?)

Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I reported this same problem on this forum a while back as well.

I've already brought it to the dealer several times and they never found a direct problem that caused it. Although, the one thing they did point out was that when i got my tires replaced on the rear, the ppl put on tires with a "S" speed rating rather than the oem "V" series. I am REALLY hoping that is the problem, because this handling problem is pissing me off, esp. on thos deep right turns. So you can check to see if you have the same problem.

Once i get my tires changed i'll report back.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 PM
It seems that it always happens on right hand gentle turns. Can you re-create the problem by re-driving the exact section of road at the same speed / road conditions (ie re-drive the section immediately after the occurence?)
I don't think you were asking me, but I definitely can recreate it repeatedly on a certain road.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
DTG
This seems like a larger issue than I thought. We all know about the feathering problem and the class-action law suit against Nissan...

Does this seem like a large issue that we can go to the dealer as a group about?

If you guys would be willing, I can draft a small letter that describes the problem. We can all put our contact info on the letter with our car's description and our signatures. I can then circulate the finalized letter to each of us to use at his/her respective dealership as proof that several owners are having the same problem. I think this would be good ammunition to use at the dealership to show that you're not alone and that it's a common issue. I certainly would like to have this type of letter.

So, respond with Yes or No and I'll start drafting it and cerculate to each of your PMs.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes. (Assuming I first see what I'm attaching my name to, of course )

However, I was planning to take my car into the dealership within the next two weeks for my 45K service, and a couple other warranty repairs. I was planning on bringing up this issue as well. Will keep you guys posted.

Originally Posted by DTG
This seems like a larger issue than I thought. We all know about the feathering problem and the class-action law suit against Nissan...

Does this seem like a large issue that we can go to the dealer as a group about?

If you guys would be willing, I can draft a small letter that describes the problem. We can all put our contact info on the letter with our car's description and our signatures. I can then circulate the finalized letter to each of us to use at his/her respective dealership as proof that several owners are having the same problem. I think this would be good ammunition to use at the dealership to show that you're not alone and that it's a common issue. I certainly would like to have this type of letter.

So, respond with Yes or No and I'll start drafting it and cerculate to each of your PMs.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
DTG
The letter would look something like this:

[Reason for letter]

[Description of issue]

Appendix (table format):
[Owner name, address, phone number, model year, model, mileage]

Very simple and no signatures will be required.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd be happy to, but I live in the UK and there are no dealerships here. It is a grey import for me. I have the JDM 350GT which is the same as your G35. (I think they all come out of the same factory in Japan?)

For me, the problem ocurred within a few weeks of putting on aftermarket wheels / tyres (Nismos LM-GT4 with Michelin PS2s all around). But it only lasted about two weeks. But I'm happy to put my name on, if you think it would be of any help.

CliffJumper - If you can re-create, then can Infiniti attend and run some diagnostics?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
DTG
Please PM me your Name, Address, Phone, Model Year and Mileage of your car.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
CliffJumper - If you can re-create, then can Infiniti attend and run some diagnostics?
I plan on trying, but the problem is that the road where I can recreate it is a few miles away (in LA traffic) from the closest dealership. I have a feeling that they won't come out with me...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slip Malfunction?