Slip Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slip Malfunction?

Anyone have this happen to their coupe—didn’t find any search returns on this subject.

I have a 2003, 6MT, w/24K miles. In the last 100 miles I have had the Slip control engage twice without any clear reason, but there were some similarities with the incidents.

Both times I was on a long sweeping curve; once on fwy exchange doing ~60mph and the second on an off ramp doing ~40mph--neither time was I exceeding reasonable speeds. In addition both times I had the cruise control turned on, once the cruise control was “set” and once it wasn’t. Both times the Slip light started flashing and I felt the car shutter. Neither time was there any apparent reason for the Slip function to engage. After the first time I thought that maybe there was oil or something on the highway that I couldn’t see.

The only thing I can think is that there is a malfunction with the computer. Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone tell me if these incidents would be “recorded” as faults on the car’s computer so the dealer could diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any insights

Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Sex, Speeding and Ticket

So now that I have your attention....any suggestions where I might find help with the situation described in post below.

--Apologies for the trickery, but hey, its October--

Anyone have this happen to their coupe—didn’t find any search returns on this subject.

I have a 2003, 6MT, w/24K miles. In the last 100 miles I have had the Slip control engage twice without any clear reason, but there were some similarities with the incidents.

Both times I was on a long sweeping curve; once on fwy exchange doing ~60mph and the second on an off ramp doing ~40mph--neither time was I exceeding reasonable speeds. In addition both times I had the cruise control turned on, once the cruise control was “set” and once it wasn’t. Both times the Slip light started flashing and I felt the car shutter. Neither time was there any apparent reason for the Slip function to engage. After the first time I thought that maybe there was oil or something on the highway that I couldn’t see.

The only thing I can think is that there is a malfunction with the computer. Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone tell me if these incidents would be “recorded” as faults on the car’s computer so the dealer could diagnose the problem?

Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi

This has also happened to me for the last few days. Any luck finding out why???

Thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I just put my 20s on and I haven't noticed anything wierd?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Related..kinda

I have had a AWD sedan as a loaner for a couple of days. After beating on it the slip light will permanently light and the VDC will not turn off. I have to turn the car's ignition off to reset everything.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like your brake fluid might be a tad low. Check it. :-)

Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks

Brake Fluid is fine and air pressure all fine too. I put on 19" Nismos rims two weeks ago and all fine until yesterday. They are the right size (rolling radius etc). Could it be related or maybe I hit a bump in the road? Could that trigger the traction??

Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by uk350gt
Thanks

Brake Fluid is fine and air pressure all fine too. I put on 19" Nismos rims two weeks ago and all fine until yesterday. They are the right size (rolling radius etc). Could it be related or maybe I hit a bump in the road? Could that trigger the traction??
Wow, that is strange. Only time I've gotten odd "slip" lights was when my brakes started to get worn out and the fluid level got right to the "low" line. Then when I'd go around turns, the sloshing fluid in the reservoir would cause the "slip" light to come on. (And if long enough, it would stay on and the VDC light would come on and stay too.) Going around a bend that the brake fluid might be it. That's why I guessed that. Since you are at 27k miles your brake pads might be getting to their life's end. The stock pads are awfully soft. Are you sure that the fluid level is right smack in between the low and hi lines?

I would think it's not the tire outside diameter, because you probably have all of 'em the same, so the wheel revolution sensors would read more or less the same from each wheel, thus not thinking any slippage is occurring.

That's all I can think of right now. . .good luck with that! Let us know if it continues.

-andrew

edit: sorry. . .thot this was from the original poster, hence the 27k miles statement above. For you uk350gt, I'm really not sure. Any other symptoms?

Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for your assistance

Well it seems to happen within about 10 mins of each journey but only once in the journey. It happens on a very gentle curve; it's a little like the self test that happens when we start each journey within a few seconds of starting car but with this episode the Slip light comes on and the car stutters in the usual SLIP mode manner. Doesn't matter how hard I drive after this, and taking tight corners etc, all is normal after it had done it once. I've done less than 5K miles and with no Dealers here, I am a little stuck as to options. I've lost some confidence in driving this car because it is very un-nerving.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Wow. . .I'm really at a loss. I do know about the self test that you are talking about. Do you have your stock wheels? I know this is odd, but you could try putting them on and driving with them to see if there is any difference. The slip is triggered by a sensor that is right behind the hub, so I wonder if one of those sensors is bad? I'll keep thinking about it. . .

-andrew

Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
hey did you guys ever find out why this happens?? same thing happened to me twice today and i feel uneasy going into a light turn above 60 mph. do you know how having low brake fluid can cause this?? i mean does the slip sensor also read the level of your brake fluid??

its possible that not having the correct amount of brake fluid can cause this because i just replaced my front pads without bleeding the brakes enough..i have too much fluid...anyways let me know if you find out more about this...

thanks..

additionally, i just had my alignment done, im lowered on s tech, stock shocks, hotchkis f/r sways, and have 19in works...

Old 04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by nosey
hey did you guys ever find out why this happens?? same thing happened to me twice today and i feel uneasy going into a light turn above 60 mph. do you know how having low brake fluid can cause this?? i mean does the slip sensor also read the level of your brake fluid??

its possible that not having the correct amount of brake fluid can cause this because i just replaced my front pads without bleeding the brakes enough..i have too much fluid...anyways let me know if you find out more about this...

thanks..

additionally, i just had my alignment done, im lowered on s tech, stock shocks, hotchkis f/r sways, and have 19in works...

After a few days, this went away on its own. I don't know whether the car needed time to adjust to changes. For me, I had changed the wheels for 19" Nismos with Michelin tyres. All sizes were correct etc, so I was confused. It's fine now. I'd give it a week and then perhaps ask the experts to take a look.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I would have the dealer run a test..IMO

Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Yea, that's kinda strange. I've turned at much higher speeds then 60 mph, w/o any problems.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
DTG
Has anyone visited the dealer or resolved the problem. I have the same exact issue BEFORE and AFTER suspension mods.

The Slip/VDC only engages on RIGHT-HAND turns and not on left-hand turns.

My car was bone stock with 42k miles and the OEM 18s and Brembo package. All fluid levels were fine and I had just bought the car. I took it to the dealer more than twice for the same issue and both times the dealer said he could not replicate the problem... go figure.

I thought maybe the car is soft from the factory and at 42k miles the suspension may be tired (althought the tires are brand new Mich PS). I replaced all the suspension with the following:

KW Variant 2 (set to medium and lowered 1.2" F&R)
Hotchkis sways (set to medium F&R)
Richie FSB
Stillen RSB
GTSpec Mid-chassis and Rear Tie braces
SPC rear camber kit (Front camber is -2.0 and rear is -1.7)
JBT F&R BBK (6-piston & 4-piston) with high-grade brake fluid
OEM 18s with 225 and 245 Mich PS (lots of tread remaining)

This is a very nice setup, but I continue to have the problem only on right-handed sweeps.

It does NOT do this on Hard corners... just on long sweeps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slip Malfunction?