Another Brakes vibrating thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Brakes vibrating thread

I don't want to Hijack the other thread, so here goes.

My brakes have been vibrating for about 15K now. If I just touch the brakes in the 80mph range the whole car shakes like crazy. I had decided that it was probably the back brakes because I don't really feel it so much through the steering wheel as I do through the whole car. Also I noticed my back pads were pretty worn and my front brake pads are not worn hardly at all.

Someone mentioned that it could be a bad tire, but it doesn't seem likely to me that a bad tire would only vibrate when I am on the brakes. I have 26K on the original goodyear NCT's and they are not very worn at all and are wearing evenly. So I discounted that.

I replaced the rear rotors and pads, torqued the lug nuts to exactly 80ft-lbs. The only thing I didn't think to do was adjust the parking brake shoes out. I broke in the pads/rotors properly. My trip to my office and back is 100 miles each way on the interstate - usually cruising between 80 and 95mph. This morning I drove to work expecting the vibration to be gone - it is exactly the same as it was yesterday. Perfectly smooth until I touch the brakes then the car goes crazy and everything rattles.

Now I am concerned that after spending almost $500 to do the back brakes with OE parts what is my next step? Do I spend another $500 to do the front brakes which are barely worn or do I spend $xxxx to replace the tires that are barely worn? Maybe I should replace the rotors and just scuff the old pads and re-use them? Replace two tires? The car isn't even a year old yet. Could it be something else causing the shaking?

Interestingly when I was at the dealership the parts guy commented 'imagine that - a new G35 needing brakes', then mentioned that the FX's have the same brakes and he hardly ever sees people come in for FX brakes.

Suggestions?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it may be the front rotors as well. They sound warped, not sure exactly. However, if you do need front brakes, give us a call!