Location of TPMS sensor(s)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Location of TPMS sensor(s)?

Does anyone know the location of the reciever or receivers(more than one) for the TPMS sensors in the wheels? Is there just one that picks up the signals or individual recievers in each wheelwell? I have an idea for a new way to deal with the TPMS sensors if the range on them is great enough.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's only one. Its the same unit that receives the signal for your key fob.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by helldorado
There's only one. Its the same unit that receives the signal for your key fob.
Is this info in the service manual? Why is keeping the location of the tpms sensors important relative to wheel position then? I hope someone can answer this, as I think we can make a PVC tube with capped ends, throw the tps sensors inside, install a valve stem in the side, and inflate to 32psi and it will trick the sensors and turn the light off without the need to band the tpms sensors in the wheels

Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Is this info in the service manual? Why is keeping the location of the tpms sensors important relative to wheel position then? I hope someone can answer this, as I think we can make a PVC tube with capped ends, throw the tps sensors inside, install a valve stem in the side, and inflate to 32psi and it will trick the sensors and turn the light off without the need to band the tpms sensors in the wheels
someone has been putting thought into this.

maybe kpierson has some input...

Old 04-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Nope, made it up. Yes its in the FSM.

The physical position is meaningless. Its all about how they're registered with the BCM so you can get an accurate indicator of which sensor is having an issue. If you were actually using them in your wheels, you'd want to register the FR sensor in the FR position and so on. So if that sensor had failure, the warning indicator would accurately reflect that and not another position.

Banding the sensors in the wheels isn't to just turn off the light. Its so you can actually use the TPMS system on wheels where the sensor wouldn't fit in the wheel's standard valve stem position. If all you want to do is turn off the light, then just throw them in a pressurized container. Where its located on the car is meaningless as long as the the signal is readable.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
lazy a$$
how about putting the tpms in the spare tire?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by maj83
The spare is at ~60psi

Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by helldorado
Nope, made it up. Yes its in the FSM.

The physical position is meaningless. Its all about how they're registered with the BCM so you can get an accurate indicator of which sensor is having an issue. If you were actually using them in your wheels, you'd want to register the FR sensor in the FR position and so on. So if that sensor had failure, the warning indicator would accurately reflect that and not another position.

Banding the sensors in the wheels isn't to just turn off the light. Its so you can actually use the TPMS system on wheels where the sensor wouldn't fit in the wheel's standard valve stem position. If all you want to do is turn off the light, then just throw them in a pressurized container. Where its located on the car is meaningless as long as the the signal is readable.
I just wanted to see if this worked, I plan on banding my sensors when I flip the tires on my rims. I was just thinking about it and thought something like this might work, and you could just stick the tube in the trunk for something. Alot of people don't install their because they don't have bands, and this would be an easy fix

Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by maj83
Assuming it would even fit, would you keep 4 spare tires?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 AM
lazy a$$
put all 4 in 1

Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Overglorified Altima
I just wanted to see if this worked, I plan on banding my sensors when I flip the tires on my rims. I was just thinking about it and thought something like this might work, and you could just stick the tube in the trunk for something. Alot of people don't install their because they don't have bands, and this would be an easy fix
with how much (or how little in your case), when do you plan on flipping the tires? i wouldn't think any time soon, right?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
with how much (or how little in your case), when do you plan on flipping the tires? i wouldn't think any time soon, right?
My fronts had some camber wear on the front tires because I bought them used, so the inside tread is ~50% while the rest is ~80%, so I want to flip them so they'll last longer

Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Overglorified Altima
My fronts had some camber wear on the front tires because I bought them used, so the inside tread is ~50% while the rest is ~80%, so I want to flip them so they'll last longer
ah, okay. i was under the impression that everything was new. and i remember you saying you drive seldomly. hence i was surprised that you are flipping them soon.

makes sense.