Okay be nice! NEWB drop question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay be nice! NEWB drop question...

So I'm a total newb at suspension mods, I'll admit it. So be nice guys, you all were there at one point too!!

I'm looking to finally getting around to dropping the G about an inch. Only an inch because ride quality is important to me since I like in POTHOLE USA here in the northeast. Just a small drop with some 19" volks I think would really make the G looks sweet.

So my question is what do I need to drop it? I was thinking just the Eibach springs, but I see alot of people going with Tein Coilovers. Now the price difference is HUGE, but whats the actual difference? I'm not tracking or racing, just looking for a bit better look, thats all.

Also whats a camber kit and do I need one???

Like I said, I'm a suspension newb, so bear with me!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alot of people go with Tein 350z H-Techs(subtle drop) or S-techs which r more dramatic...u could probably get away with H-Techs and no camber kit...anything over an inch drop, ull probably need one though

Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
if you go lower than an inch drop you will need a camber kit to prevent uneven wear on your tires. so lets say u drop it over an inch and you dont get back into normal suspension specs. your wheels will be slightly out of angle. your wheels after more than 1 in drop may look like this-- > / \ compared to stock specs --> | | in order to fix that angle you get a camber kit. i think i explained it right.. im kinda newb at it too
so if you go with the Tein 350z H-Techs, you wont need a camber because u can get back into specs.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
i'm in the same spot as you. waiting for my 19's top come in, potholes everywhere in NY. I want probably like a 1" drop. I honestly don't know what the camber kit does. Let me know what you end up doing.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
eibach prokit ~1.1" when they settle

Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RIG35Guy
So I'm a total newb at suspension mods, I'll admit it. So be nice guys, you all were there at one point too!!

I'm looking to finally getting around to dropping the G about an inch. Only an inch because ride quality is important to me since I like in POTHOLE USA here in the northeast. Just a small drop with some 19" volks I think would really make the G looks sweet.
i suggest you go for a subtle dropped springs then... such as 0.5"~0.75". after a few months, your springs will "settle in" and drop more dramatically than expected.

Originally Posted by RIG35Guy
So my question is what do I need to drop it? I was thinking just the Eibach springs, but I see alot of people going with Tein Coilovers. Now the price difference is HUGE, but whats the actual difference? I'm not tracking or racing, just looking for a bit better look, thats all.

Also whats a camber kit and do I need one???

Like I said, I'm a suspension newb, so bear with me!
coilovers include shocks/struts along with the springs. also, height can be adjusted to your preferred liking... the height can also be adjusted for corner weight tuning so the car can handle left and right optimally, with the main driver in the car. much more expensive coilovers also have dampening adjustability to fine tune the bound (compression) and rebound (expansion) of the shock itself for performance, comfort or a bit of both.

a camber kit basically removes the butterfly effect when car has been lowered. butterfly effect meaning, the top of the wheel goes inward towards the wheelwell while the bottom of the wheel goes outward. check out this photo:

car will NEVER have a positive camber in normal conditions with the steering exactly straight (during turns the inside turning wheel will have positive camber). our cars have slightly negative camber at the rear to aid in handling and grip for acceleration and deceleration during turns. however, tire life is drastically expended due to the higher grip. a camber kit is basically like a coilover system regarding height... you can fine tune the camber to your preference with a broader range to choose from.