Problems With Uneven Ride Height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems With Uneven Ride Height

Hey guys,

I've got a 2003 Coupe 6MT and have the Tein Type CS coilovers on the car. The suspension setup actually came with the car when I bought it used from the previous owner. I recently noticed that my passenger side rear was higher than my driver side rear. I tried to lower the passenger side by adjusting the spring perches and i've adjusted it to almost the lowest setting (virtually 2 threads left between the perch and the top of the tube) and it's still not the same height as the passenger side.

One thing to note is that I remember letting my buddy drive my car (BIG MISTAKE) and while exiting a parking structure, he didn't calculate the turn and ran right over the sidewalk with the rear passenger side wheel. Completely curbed my wheel and now I'm suspecting that my shock absorber maybe bad?? (not sure)...

I'm trying to troubleshoot this right now but I'm getting so fed up with my suspension I almost want to toss it out. UGH.....please let me know how to troubleshoot this as my car looks retarded. It's not THAT noticeable to someone who doesn't know cars, but if you look at it, you can tell that it's off by about a 1/4".

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you had the alignment specs checked?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
i know my rear alignment is so whack right now. But how does alignment affect ride height hi-tech?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Well I noticed that when I changed my suspension one of my wheels in the rear cambered out more than the other thus giving one wheel more slant than the other. When I got an alignment they adjusted and got everything back into almost factory spec. Also if that wont help you may want to take the suspension off and get it measured to the height where you'd like it.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
If I get the suspension taken off and then getting it measured to the exact height, how do you take into account the amount of travel the spring will make when the car is seated on the ground?

I thought that the lowering concept is to allow more uncompressed spring so that the car sits on the spring thus compressing the spring to lower itself.

I see what you mean about the alignment. It could all be a facade and it only looks out of place. But once I get an alignment, and let's say the ride height is still wrong, then what? Could the spring possible go bad?

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
It could be a spring too. If it is you can actually send the whole setup back to Tein and they will check it/ fixit for you. Tein comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects. Take it to get checked out first though and see if an alignment will help. I know it helped with me. Also when you are looking at the car make sure it is on an even surface. When your friend ran over the curb he didn't happen to bend anything that you know of (ie tie rod or control arm)?

Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi-tech, first and foremost, I'd like to thank you for the attention and support you've given me.

As for the tie rod and/or control arms, I'm not too sure if it's bent or not. I'd have to take a look at it. So you recommend getting an alignment first? Then if it's still screwed up, then go and get the suspension checked out by Tein I suppose? Thanks Hi-tech =)

Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not spring, its going to be something else... I have the same issue and cant figure it out

I changed springs also

Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
No problem. I know what it is like when you have problems and cant get a clue as of to how to solve them. If things don't work out with the alignment then have the suspension check out by Tein. Also when getting your alignment have the mechanic check the tie rods and control arms to make sure everything else is okay. Good luck and keep me updated.
Originally Posted by SuperShick
Hi-tech, first and foremost, I'd like to thank you for the attention and support you've given me.

As for the tie rod and/or control arms, I'm not too sure if it's bent or not. I'd have to take a look at it. So you recommend getting an alignment first? Then if it's still screwed up, then go and get the suspension checked out by Tein I suppose? Thanks Hi-tech =)