Popping sound coming from rear????? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Popping sound coming from rear????? Help

Have any of you all after lowering your vehicle hear a popping sound coming from the right rear of the car...My Right Rear Axle Shaft ever since I lowered it has a pop/squeak sound coming from it sometime when I turn and almost always when I hit an uneven spot in the road.....I don't know how to fix this but when underneath the car the right axle shaft has play in it..I can move it back and forth. With that being said should I take it into the dealer and have it checked out? Im hoping if there is a problem it will be covered under warranty but not to sure after all the mods I have put on if they will. I was thinking of taking it to Grubbs Infiniti here in Texas who is mod friendly....what do you think?

Please let me know...

Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I have the exact same sound happen, ,mainly if I am driving up/down an un-even driveway.
LIke a pop/clunk sound, plastic on plastic.
Weird thing is, i have replaced the suspension 3 times, and it has done it from day 1, driving off the lot.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
BUMP.....

I have a noise too when going over slight bumps in the road, but not on just right side, ever since I lowered mine.
Dont know if its a popping noise. More like a thud or clunk in the rear section of G.

Very good question about that noise, lowered and warranty.
I'd like to know myself about warranty before taking in for that issue.
Haven't checked for play in axle.
Thanks for that insite.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have this too, not very often but every once in a while. i used to think it was my passenger seatbelt swinging freely and hitting the door

you should bring it in and let the dealer check it out for loose axle bolt, i think there was a thread on this not too long ago.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
yeah i saw that thread as well....all i know is that the axle is able to move back and forth. If the car is parked in my garage and i move the rear of the car back and forth you can hear it making the noise..im going to see if i can get a video of it really quick...give me a min

Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
here you go. here is the video.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 PM
that almost sounds like something is loose and is clanking against something when you rock the car. did you check all your suspensions? your spc is on correctly? or sways? i'm not sure what it can be, my clanking/popping noise is nowhere that loud.

i suggest take it to the dealer and have them lift the car up and see if its the axle, or anything loose underneath there. i think you should find the problem first before worrying about warranty. and Grubbs infiniti does sound good.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
ok cool. Yeah i am going to take it in saturday.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by g35man04
ok cool. Yeah i am going to take it in saturday.
MOst def...
mine is nothing like that, just a quick pop.

I would have the dealer check that out for sure.

Let us know what they say, im interested to hear

Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Mine is nothing like the video but i also have the popping sound every time i go over a bump on the right rear. I took it to the dealer several weeks back and they obviously blamed the aftermarket suspension. I told them it occurred even before the install of the springs (which was true) and they still gave me the run around about the spring causing excess stress on different parts...

Long story short, the dealer wouldn't fix it for free under warranty!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
so did they ever tell you what it was?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Wow...thats a loud noise just for rockin back and forth.

I had awhile ago my aftermarket rear upper dampener come loose (weak a$$ oem small nuts and threads for that application imo) and really clunked/rattled/popped when loose. Tightened and that noise went away, but still have the other current noise.

Maybe try to video the shaft at section where play at to see if it corralates with that noise with you rocking.

Bottom line though, axle shouldn't have play like that and imo, shouldn't void warranty b/c of suspension mods.
Some Dealers mod friendly, some aren't.

G/L Saturday

Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
yeah i will get a video tonight of the play in the rear axle. The popping isnt there really bad all day....but as you can see whenever i shake the car pretty bad you can hear it. With that being said once i get home this evening i will make a video just like the one originally posted showing you the play in the axle. I dont think its my sway bars or anything suspension..I just had them torqued down at the Alignment shop when they put my SPC camber kit and Toe bolts on the correct way. The sound went away some but not all the way.

I know that when i was working on the suspension and we removed the camber arms to put on the NEW SPC ones awhile back if you pushed the rim all the way in with your hands and then tried to wiggle the shaft nothing moved. But as soon as I installed the SPC camber kit and Toe bolts before aligning it the sound was pretty bad. Once i had it aligned 2 days ago i was told that the SPC toe bolts were installed in the wrong spot. So they corrected that but dremeling out the correct spot and installing the right way. The sound decreased alot and its not as bad but still noticeable whenever i hit an uneven surface....(i.e. driveway or bump in the road.)

So i am still confused as to what the problem can be. I was talking to one of my buddies locally and he told me that our axle are held together by snap pins....he stated that it could of popped loose...He also told me that the drivers side axle shaft is longer than the passenger side axle shaft.

I am still debating as to when i should take my car into the dealer....I dont want to pay for some outrageous labor charge just for them to check it out.

Last edited by g35man04; 09-19-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM
G35driver Addict
my spc toe bolts were installed in the wrong spot at first too. i had the section dremeled out on the car side of the camber arms. but then i had them installed correctly at the body side of the spring bucket with more dremeling. no popping noises for me.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
yeah but i still have it there somewhat...i know it has to be something with the axle....because if it were suspension both sides would be making the noise...i.e. Sway bar...I know that all of my suspension has been torqued down multiple times to correct specs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Popping sound coming from rear????? Help