when to change brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 09:50 PM
|
when to change brake pads

im at 35 k miles. some bull**** mechanic said i should change my brakes in about 3000 miles more before i damage my rotors.should i take my 06 sedan to the dealer and c what they say

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:32 AM
Replace the pads when they are almost worn down. 35K miles isn't unreasonable for a new set of pads depending on how you drive.

You can change the pads yourself easily and if you go with an OEM equivalent like the Axxis Deluxe pads, you can get front and rear pads for about $80 shipped.

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:50 PM
Grocery getter
Premier Member
+1

Pads are easy to change yourself. I was happy with the HAWK HPS pads I had for a while, they were very low dust, lasted a long time and low noise.

Old 12-09-2007 | 02:21 PM
Also, the wear indicators will screech at you well before any damage occurs to the rotor from a worn pad.

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:26 PM
Sorry to burst in on this thread but how easy is it to replace rotors and pads yourself? I've never done it before, however my friend has. Could this be done by the two of us? Any step by step instructions that I could follow or is it pretty straight forward?

I plan on adding Front & Rear Stop Tech Slotted Rotors and Front & Rear Hawk HPS Pads in the spring along with several other mods!!

Thanks!!

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:35 PM
Pads and rotors are not difficult, especially if you've done them before. You don't even need very sophisticated tools - a torque wrench, some pliers or a c-clamp, and that's about it.

BTW - do some research on Hawk HPS pads, especially in colder climates. I had them on my last car and was not happy with them in the cold and rainy weather. Initial cold brake "bite" was very poor.

Old 12-09-2007 | 11:05 PM
hmm really? I live in NJ and it gets pretty cold in the winter. Would you suggest another type pad that has good inital bite in the cold VERY low brake dust and long lasting pad?

Old 12-10-2007 | 02:27 AM
g35 freak what dealership you service your car in NJ

Also ive heard project MU NS pads are great

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by g35freak86
hmm really? I live in NJ and it gets pretty cold in the winter. Would you suggest another type pad that has good inital bite in the cold VERY low brake dust and long lasting pad?
There is no such pad. Brake pads are a compromise, and unfortunately, you can't have it all in the same pad. Great initial bite means higher dust because that's how you get the cold bite. If you want high fade resistance (higher temp pad) and a long lasting pad that doesn't dust much, you give up some cold initial bite.

Infiniti chose an OEM pad for the car that results in great cold stops in short distances; any other choice of a longer-wearing, less dusty pad will lengthen stopping distances. If you look at most sports cars, e.g. Bimmers, Porsches, etc. they all have dirty front wheels from brake dust - that's how they brake so well.

You have to prioritize the characteristics you want in a pad. If cold bite is the key consideration (as it is for me in a street pad, at least, where you can't keep the brakes warm all the time like on a track) then OEM is probably your best bet. If not, then you can look at some others, like the Satisfied OEM or Ceramics. I just did not like the Hawk HPS in the rain or in the winter - there was a 1/2 second delay before the brakes grabbed - pretty scary.

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by 2fast
g35 freak what dealership you service your car in NJ

Also ive heard project MU NS pads are great

I get mine serviced at Circle Infiniti in West Long Branch. Thanks for the reccomendation! I'll check it out.

You live in NJ? Where do you get yours serviced?

Originally Posted by G35fromPA
There is no such pad. Brake pads are a compromise, and unfortunately, you can't have it all in the same pad. Great initial bite means higher dust because that's how you get the cold bite. If you want high fade resistance (higher temp pad) and a long lasting pad that doesn't dust much, you give up some cold initial bite.

Infiniti chose an OEM pad for the car that results in great cold stops in short distances; any other choice of a longer-wearing, less dusty pad will lengthen stopping distances. If you look at most sports cars, e.g. Bimmers, Porsches, etc. they all have dirty front wheels from brake dust - that's how they brake so well.

You have to prioritize the characteristics you want in a pad. If cold bite is the key consideration (as it is for me in a street pad, at least, where you can't keep the brakes warm all the time like on a track) then OEM is probably your best bet. If not, then you can look at some others, like the Satisfied OEM or Ceramics. I just did not like the Hawk HPS in the rain or in the winter - there was a 1/2 second delay before the brakes grabbed - pretty scary.

Hmm.. some good information here. I appreciate it a lot! I will be sure to check around and do some research!

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:29 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
I only got 40k out of my rears...

Old 12-13-2007 | 09:49 AM
1st front lasted 30K
2nd front lasted 30K
1st rear lasted 50K

I am on my 3rd front and 2nd rear...

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:21 AM
What year is your car? I have a 2005 with the "new" brakes (actually their from the M35) I had 25K on mine when my "service writer" said: " they are down to 5mm, you want us to replace them?" I said no. So I'm starting to get ready for the Raging Bull run and I want to change the pads to something more "aggressive", so I order some EBC "green stuff" pads. Well, when I remove the old ones (with 30K+ on them), if ind that they were only worn 1mm!!!! The factory brakes on the 05' models should last at least 60K.

Old 12-13-2007 | 12:09 PM
The thickness of the pad material is the thickness of the insulator to the caliper piston and thus brake fluid.

The thinner the pads the faster the brake fluid can heat up and boil. It takes 5-10 mins after a full stop for fluid to reach its peak temperature on street.

Old 12-13-2007 | 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
The thickness of the pad material is the thickness of the insulator to the caliper piston and thus brake fluid.

The thinner the pads the faster the brake fluid can heat up and boil. It takes 5-10 mins after a full stop for fluid to reach its peak temperature on street.
Boy did we find that out on the last Raging Bull run! 10 minutes after we got off the race track, one 350Z's brake pedal went right to the floor! Another 10 minutes and it was fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: when to change brake pads