how much lower should i go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by black_sedan
well... i really dont want to do it, but i need to lower my car again. im currently running the 350z unrevised suspension.

my options

TEIN s-tech 2.0F 1.3R
Eibach sportlines 1.6F 1.6R
Tanabe GF 1.5F 0.9R

I have no desire to do coilovers, although i know it will give me the ultimate in height adjustment.
" im currently running the 350z unrevised suspension"

Their's a issue right their that should influence what you get. Unrevised 350Z shocks have too much compression dampning(stiffness) and not enough rebound control. Your best bet will be springs ment for the Z, since most of those springs were R&D specifically for 03/04 oem Z shocks. Two springs come to my mind Hotchkis, 350Z S-techs and Eibach prokit, those three springs looking back to owner commments done in 2003 and 2004 worked the best at working with the shocks you have, though they are still a band-aid for poor shocks. Your best bet I have to say would really be to pull the shocks and toss them and get 04.5 oem replacements used.

Keep in mind that even though you have Z shocks now, which do have 3/4" shorter body/piston rod lengths then your oem sedan shocks do, shock travel is not something you'll have alot of at the drops your talking about and secondary issues with more frequent contract with the bumpstops will be a reality and have a impact in everyday ride and drive experience.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
" im currently running the 350z unrevised suspension"

Their's a issue right their that should influence what you get. Unrevised 350Z shocks have too much compression dampning(stiffness) and not enough rebound control. Your best bet will be springs ment for the Z, since most of those springs were R&D specifically for 03/04 oem Z shocks. Two springs come to my mind Hotchkis, 350Z S-techs and Eibach prokit, those three springs looking back to owner commments done in 2003 and 2004 worked the best at working with the shocks you have, though they are still a band-aid for poor shocks. Your best bet I have to say would really be to pull the shocks and toss them and get 04.5 oem replacements used.

Keep in mind that even though you have Z shocks now, which do have 3/4" shorter body/piston rod lengths then your oem sedan shocks do, shock travel is not something you'll have alot of at the drops your talking about and secondary issues with more frequent contract with the bumpstops will be a reality and have a impact in everyday ride and drive experience.
yep, when i first put the suspension on i complained alot about the bouncing, eventually i got used to it since the shocks i wanted were on backorder. i ended up getting a set of s-techs. im planning on new shocks, but not sure if i want aftermarket 350z or G35 shocks. it makes sense for me to use a shorter shock.

im confused about your comment about the bumpstops. can't the bumpstops just be trimmed or use a shorter one to compensate the loss of travel from lowering the car?

thanks for the help guys... i appreciate it!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by black_sedan
yep, when i first put the suspension on i complained alot about the bouncing, eventually i got used to it since the shocks i wanted were on backorder. i ended up getting a set of s-techs. im planning on new shocks, but not sure if i want aftermarket 350z or G35 shocks. it makes sense for me to use a shorter shock.

im confused about your comment about the bumpstops. can't the bumpstops just be trimmed or use a shorter one to compensate the loss of travel from lowering the car?

thanks for the help guys... i appreciate it!
Curious, what shocks were on backorder?

Only shock I would run with the G35 S-techs would be D-specs, 350Z version.

The 350Z bumpstops you have now cannot be trimmed since they do not have any soft foam rubber parts, they are made entirely of hard rubber. Your best bet would be to pull the dust shields and that have the bumpstops inside them and swap in 4 Koni progressive soft bumpstops. You'll get added travel and when the suspension does hit them it will slow down progressively vs abruptly.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Curious, what shocks were on backorder?

Only shock I would run with the G35 S-techs would be D-specs, 350Z version.

The 350Z bumpstops you have now cannot be trimmed since they do not have any soft foam rubber parts, they are made entirely of hard rubber. Your best bet would be to pull the dust shields and that have the bumpstops inside them and swap in 4 Koni progressive soft bumpstops. You'll get added travel and when the suspension does hit them it will slow down progressively vs abruptly.
Ah... i had no idea the bumpstops are completely hard rubber. i was planning to run the regular KYB oem replacements until i called tire rack and they were backordered. If I go with D-specs, i might as well have bought a set of Tein basics with the costs involved.

I know, i know... do it right the first time. I just dont want to spend a bunch of money and not take the parts off when i decide to get rid of the car. Right now including shocks ill be at $300. $75 used stechs + $225 for new shocks. I still need to pick up a camber kit too.

I missed out a couple weeks ago and another member was giving away his d-specs.