Tein Basics verses Megan Racing street coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The_Scooch
I have been reading as much as I can about Megan Racing coilovers and many others as well. They appear to be built very well. The quality looks amazing. Still, I have read many posts that say they are junk and that most of their other products are junk. Most all of these posts I've read are at least a year old and some date back to early 2005.

I have some MR toe rods on my car and although they don't effect much, they are well made. So I don't get it... What's the beef with Megan Racing?
I think with Megan Racing, a few of their other products had issues, like with their headers cracking and such. But their coilovers are actually made by BC Racing.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I love my basics. The ride is definitely a little harsher but not that bad, and I came from oem sport suspension.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Why?
when i got my basics installed, my car felt very heavy up front, a noticeable difference when i would brake, or even go over a speed bump. i got schooled by a friend on how the stiffer springs actually shifted the car's weight towards the front. the solution was the sway bars. i got the hotchkis and my car literally felt way nimbler. went full stiff up front and med in the rear. that was my experience with the basics. i also had a 2" drop up front and 1 3/4" rear.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take megans way over basics. The megan coilovers are actually pretty okay. They are made by the same company that makes the BC Sports coilovers, Greddy coilovers, etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely Tein Basics. Megan? c'mon...

Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
people bag on Megan cause they haven't been around as long and don't have the reputation that some of these other companies have, and that the reason most people bag on them, NOT because they are shiity....they have accually came along way and make some pretty quality stuff, i've have an exhaust from them and my buddy has had other parts and they all held up wonderful....

Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I have basics and love em... the ride isn't harsh at all, and the car stays flat during spirited driving. The only time I notice any sort of difference in comfort is when I'm on a real crappy road, then you feel every bump... but they are still way softer than my Stance coilovers I have on my 240. For daily driving, and even track events, you can't beat the basics for the cost... IMO anyhow.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by zackt69
I have basics and love em... the ride isn't harsh at all, and the car stays flat during spirited driving. The only time I notice any sort of difference in comfort is when I'm on a real crappy road, then you feel every bump... but they are still way softer than my Stance coilovers I have on my 240. For daily driving, and even track events, you can't beat the basics for the cost... IMO anyhow.
Well being from SF, I drive over crappy roads every day so I guess that's why I feel that both of them make a very noticeable decline in ride comfort.

But you get used to it.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 AM
dut
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Definitely Tein Basics. Megan? c'mon...
The low budget Teins are made in Tawain also.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
when i got my basics installed, my car felt very heavy up front, a noticeable difference when i would brake, or even go over a speed bump. i got schooled by a friend on how the stiffer springs actually shifted the car's weight towards the front. the solution was the sway bars. i got the hotchkis and my car literally felt way nimbler. went full stiff up front and med in the rear. that was my experience with the basics. i also had a 2" drop up front and 1 3/4" rear.
This description sounds like the case for anyone that got swaybars. There are plenty of people without swaybars and tein basics which have no issues. Running a stiffer spring up front relative to the rear spring would not shift the car's weight forward, how would it do that? If anything it would shift it back. Swaybars are certainly recommended for any setup including stock, but to say that they are needed to run basics is certainly not true.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
This description sounds like the case for anyone that got swaybars. There are plenty of people without swaybars and tein basics which have no issues. Running a stiffer spring up front relative to the rear spring would not shift the car's weight forward, how would it do that? If anything it would shift it back. Swaybars are certainly recommended for any setup including stock, but to say that they are needed to run basics is certainly not true.
Ummmm, these people pretty much have to get sways because frankly basics are uuubbbberrrr soft. No matter how stiff you set them too. Sways are always one of the first mods you should do, but they shouldn't be installed if you just think you need them because basics don't yield the results you wish for. This is where you choose better coilovers lol. Basics in the rest of the car world have a really crappy rep. They are just cheap, so tons of people have them.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 AM
seeing that no one actually has any experience with megan coilovers on this thread, i'd say personally they aren't that bad. for about the same price as basics, one would get adjustable height AND damping. i had the street megan coilovers and would say they are a good low budget set comparable to the basics. of course when i had the opportunity to get my hands on my HKS RS setup, i was all over them in a flash. if i had to choose b/t the two, i would go megans for the damping adjustability. jmo

Last edited by tinman143; 03-19-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
yeah I guess a good thing to ask would be is there anyone that actually has experiance with Megan Racing Coilovers?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I have the Megan Racing coilovers and have not had any problems or issues with them. <knock wood>. I got a good deal on some used ones and they work great for me as I am just a casual driver and do not track.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
A lot of people love to bag on Megan products but have never had experience with them. Some of their stuff is low budget like test pipes and exhaust but still work. From what I have read their BBK and coilovers are just as good as the other big names.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tein Basics verses Megan Racing street coilovers