Tein Basics verses Megan Racing street coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Megan Racing now has a track model coilover. What are you looking at getting? Gsedan35 had Megan Racing and said they were oversprung and under damped. He ended up springs with lower rates. I would contact him for his take on these two products.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Megan Racing now has a track model coilover. What are you looking at getting? Gsedan35 had Megan Racing and said they were oversprung and under damped. He ended up springs with lower rates. I would contact him for his take on these two products.
+1, Gsedan35 is THE g35/350z suspension guru. His opinion on products is way more important to me than most people's.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Those are the ones I bought off of Gsedan35. I don't really track and drive hard so the Megan Racing ones were sufficient and they were sold at a good price.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
redlude, thanks for the response on my take on the sway bars. i guess they really helped put together my suspension at the time. it really did change the way the car handled and brought the understeer more in control. if that makes any sense. I've had the basics for about 3 years now and still like them. when i was looking at coilovers, i actually took the input from Gsedan35. he was my source and went with the basics based on what i was looking for and his recommendation.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wanted to add my experience with the Megan coilovers. I have 2 sets on 2 different cars. My 2005 Evo and my wifes 2000 Celica (soon to be replaced with a G35). The Evo coilovers have almost 2 yrs of use and 15K miles. They work great! Smoother ride than the overdamped stock suspension but with improved handling. The Megan coilovers are made by BC in taiwan. The same coilovers are also sold under the Greddy Type S and Apexi ExV N1 labels for more money. My only problem was a height adjuster on one strut that would not stay tight. Megan sent me out 2 replacements to double lock it. No hassles, just one phone call.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by bsowhat1
I wanted to add my experience with the Megan coilovers. I have 2 sets on 2 different cars. My 2005 Evo and my wifes 2000 Celica (soon to be replaced with a G35). The Evo coilovers have almost 2 yrs of use and 15K miles. They work great! Smoother ride than the overdamped stock suspension but with improved handling. The Megan coilovers are made by BC in taiwan. The same coilovers are also sold under the Greddy Type S and Apexi ExV N1 labels for more money. My only problem was a height adjuster on one strut that would not stay tight. Megan sent me out 2 replacements to double lock it. No hassles, just one phone call.
wow i wish i could have gotten the same type of customer service when i purchased their BBK. it was basically not there.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
This is OT but is there a thread on your Megan experience?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
This is OT but is there a thread on your Megan experience?
are you asking me?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Do NOT buy Megan coilovers for this G or Z. As mentioned I had them on my car, I sold them because I could not stand them. Wasn't a performance issue so much as it was a issue with ride and drive quality related to poor valving. Problem I had was I could not sell something I disliked that much. I had softer springs I was able to test in the front, much better behavior so I bought another set of softer springs so I could resell the setup and still sleep at night. BcRacing makes them as you know, however they are not the same specs as the coilovers they make for themselves (larger piston diameter). Given that the BcRacing coilover exists, it makes ZERO sense to buy the Megan product since you can buy that setup for only maybe $50 to $100 more. Even then, IMO I don't let Bc totally off the hook with the excuse that "the Megan product is the way it is because we simply are building it to Megan specs", no excuse to deliver that kind of a product out your door, makes we wonder about their own product.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
get Greddy type S coilovers! i have them on my car. 1800. ride is really good, barely any difference in comfort. performance wise...AWSOME! but, get some stillen rear camber arms.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Do NOT buy Megan coilovers for this G or Z. As mentioned I had them on my car, I sold them because I could not stand them. Wasn't a performance issue so much as it was a issue with ride and drive quality related to poor valving. Problem I had was I could not sell something I disliked that much. I had softer springs I was able to test in the front, much better behavior so I bought another set of softer springs so I could resell the setup and still sleep at night. BcRacing makes them as you know, however they are not the same specs as the coilovers they make for themselves (larger piston diameter). Given that the BcRacing coilover exists, it makes ZERO sense to buy the Megan product since you can buy that setup for only maybe $50 to $100 more. Even then, IMO I don't let Bc totally off the hook with the excuse that "the Megan product is the way it is because we simply are building it to Megan specs", no excuse to deliver that kind of a product out your door, makes we wonder about their own product.
Generally speaking then - is this an endorsement for BC or are you recommending staying away all together? I'm referring to BC's line, not the line they are making for Megan...

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Greddy Type-S are the same as the Megan Street coilovers.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Greddy Type-S are the same as the Megan Street coilovers.
im sorry but IMO, megan is nowhere near the performance of greddy. my friend had megan street coilovers on his g, and i didnt like it that much. ride confort wasnt very satisfying, and he had it on softest. my body shop guy goes through cars like water, he's had hks coilovers, tein's, megan, greddy's ect... all in all, the worst ones were tein's and the best he thought was a tie between hks and greddy

i also like the fact the greddy type-s has front camber adjustment
i personally think that i barely lost any comfort, just a smidge

im just saying this based on my personal experience, so i have no idea about the performance comparison on paper, so dont get me wrong, i dont mean to say anything bad (if i have)

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but seems like a lot of people are going to make the decision between the Megan and the Tein Basics.

Anyways, can anyone additionaly to whats already posted here add on their thoughts or experiences on either of the coilovers? I too am at a point in my decision making and want to base it off of as much information as possible.

Thanks!