Lots of brake squeal...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of brake squeal...

I bought my 04 G35 strictly as a work car, which means it gets driven, a lot. I work in sales and drive around the city all day meeting clients. I didn't want to spend a boatload of money on a car I put 25k+ miles on a year, but I also didn't want a penalty box too.

I haven't had too many problems with the car (bought it last August with 20k miles on it). The dealer has been pretty good (definitely better than my last experience with my 03 Jetta GLI), but I want to know what's going on when I bring it in.

The car currently has 35k miles on it, and I'm assuming it still has the stock pads. Are they due for replacement? I certainly don't like how much brake dust they generate. The brakes squeal quite a bit at low speed. I've never owned a car that had brake squeal. Does this mean I am due for new brake pads?

Also, is this a warranty item? And if it is, will they have pads that don't dust so much? Reason I ask is because VW replaced my pads and rotors under warranty with my last car. That was the one cool thing the dealer did... LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
my brakes squeak really bad as well. I'm just wearing them down a bit more and changing them to hawks pads soon. I hear 03-04's factory brakes squeak and produce a lot of dust. Most here recommend hawks pads for less noise and dust. as goes for warranty, i doubt it~

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
is it normal if the rotor is the color of rust sometimes? This only happens once awhile.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
go to brake check and get a free inspection.

also, if you need pads, make sure you go with ceramic pads.

They don't dust up your front wheels like stock pads.

they perform just as good, even though the diehards will come in and say that ceramic pads are less grabby in 3,2,1..........

Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Ceramic pads are less grabby.

Just kidding. But I have them and the stopping has been just the same as far as I can tell. But I have recently begun hearing a squeal. I took the pads off and checked them out and they look fine. The wear indicator on the pad is way away from the rotor. I only have probably 10 or 15K on these pads. I was pulling out of the garage for a test drive (foot off brake) after I put the pads back in and then I heard the squeak again. Argh. So I pull back in and jack the car up and spin the wheel and nothing. No squeak. That's when I came and made this post. What are the possible culprits?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I put the grease on and I still have the noise. I should have said this in the last post, too, but I hear it mainly when the brake is cold, or should be cold, like after driving for miles without hitting the brakes. It's only on the right side. I don't have any grease on the left side and I haven't had it on there since I changed the brakes back in October. It's actually been about 19K miles I've driven, though. Still plenty of pad. And I've only been talking about the front brakes. Rears are fine.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
i just got my front pads and rotors replaced a few days ago at my infiniti dealership...sigh it was $600 bucks..having no warranty sucks

Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
That's the stealership for you. Looks like they reamed you. But if that's what it takes.

I wonder if the squeal has something to do with the runout I have either in the rotor or the hub itself.

I'm buying a dial gauge kit and I'm gonna measure the runout and get some brake rotor runout shims accordingly. I don't know what I'm gonna do about the squeal if it doesn't happen to stop when the runout it corrected.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you use shims to make rotors perfect you can often increase rotor life by 50% since no angular scrubbing and wear of either pad or rotor.
Before I discovered rotor shims I used to wear out rotors on my Q in 40,000 miles now the same PowerStops last 80,000 miles with same oem pads.

Not to say you don't need to retrue but just less frequently with less metal removed.

The problem with achieving street stops is you need a ultra soft pad and soft metal rotor to match pad to optimize every foot.

When you cost analyse all the extra wear [tires, pads, rotors] to achieve just 10 feet less it adds roughly $1,000 per year depending on tire size.

If you buy a performance braking car don't complain about the extra mainteance costs but attack the cost scientifically to minimize it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Well i just bought my '04 G35 coupe and the previous owner had put on brembo's, which i still have on. The breaks squeak when i am coming to a stop. very low speed.
I am no where close to replacing my brake pads cuz they look like they have about 15 K still left on them.
Anyways i think its just the high preformance thing. my brakes dont squeak at all when i am stopping at high speed.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by O HELLA OEM
i just got my front pads and rotors replaced a few days ago at my infiniti dealership...sigh it was $600 bucks..having no warranty sucks
if you had warranty, would warranty cover brakes? im having issues with brakes squealing..

Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 AM
brakes aren't covered under warranty anyway, they're a wear and tear item

Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If u see that you still have brakes left on the pades, the way to fix the squeal is to use a air compressor and blow all the brake dust out. that always fixes it, trust me you dont even have to take the rims off just blow the dust out good

Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by digitalgulby
I bought my 04 G35 strictly as a work car, which means it gets driven, a lot. I work in sales and drive around the city all day meeting clients. I didn't want to spend a boatload of money on a car I put 25k+ miles on a year, but I also didn't want a penalty box too.

I haven't had too many problems with the car (bought it last August with 20k miles on it). The dealer has been pretty good (definitely better than my last experience with my 03 Jetta GLI), but I want to know what's going on when I bring it in.

The car currently has 35k miles on it, and I'm assuming it still has the stock pads. Are they due for replacement? I certainly don't like how much brake dust they generate. The brakes squeal quite a bit at low speed. I've never owned a car that had brake squeal. Does this mean I am due for new brake pads?

Also, is this a warranty item? And if it is, will they have pads that don't dust so much? Reason I ask is because VW replaced my pads and rotors under warranty with my last car. That was the one cool thing the dealer did... LOL
Your way due! That "squeals" means it's screaming service me! As a G driver, like myself, I like to drive my G fast , so my brakes works really hard. As a salesperson you probably drive alot, so brakes will wear out quick. Dont even count on the warranty when it comes to brakes. It's simply wear and tear View this service as an oil change

Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 AM
I hate that damn brake squeals.

Originally Posted by valid_1
Well i just bought my '04 G35 coupe and the previous owner had put on brembo's, which i still have on. The breaks squeak when i am coming to a stop. very low speed.
I am no where close to replacing my brake pads cuz they look like they have about 15 K still left on them.
Anyways i think its just the high preformance thing. my brakes dont squeak at all when i am stopping at high speed.
Your brake pads probably look OK, but your rotors probably close to warrping. Plz. dont tell me that your rotor is drilled or slotted. If it is, men, you have to buy new ones. I dont think you can resurface the drilled/slotted rotors. If it's not, you might need to resurface them. I think installing a new ceramic brake pads will be a good idea that the pads and the rotors are even. Maybe it's just a dust issue, or relubing your backing plate will do the trick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lots of brake squeal...