Brushing/grinding sound coming from the brakes...help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brushing/grinding sound coming from the brakes...help!!!

Hello all,

I searched the forums and could not find an answer to my question. Most people complain about loud, squeaking brakes. Well, the brakes on my front driver side make a grinding/brushing noise. It is a rotational noise that speeds up in frequency as the car goes faster, and obviously, comes down in frequency as the car slows down. I checked the pads on this corner of the car and they seem to have plenty of life left to them. My car is an 07 coupe.

Anyone has any ideas???

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
warped rotors?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't even know what to say to that...the car is a year old, I take extreme care of it, never been under extreme braking conditions...i take it easy on the brakes...could the rotor be warped already?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing......Does the sound go away under braking? If it does, then odds are the wheel bearing is going. Maybe they put too much of a load on it at the factory.....it wouldn't be the first time this happened to our members.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I've had this problem too.. I hear it when i drive around with the windows down.. If the noise isn't too loud it's probably benigh, a shop can just get the brakes adjusted.. I just took mine to a shop and they did it for like 27 bux or something.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
Could be a wheel bearing......Does the sound go away under braking? If it does, then odds are the wheel bearing is going. Maybe they put too much of a load on it at the factory.....it wouldn't be the first time this happened to our members.
No it does not go away when braking...the noise is definitely constant. I can even give the car a little push in 1st gear and leave it rolling in neutral so I can hear the noise, and it just makes the noise no matter what. The frequency of the noise is directly proportional to the speed. So even when I pull into my garage at <5 mph, I can hear it slowly as the wheel rotates...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by chestercwang
I've had this problem too.. I hear it when i drive around with the windows down.. If the noise isn't too loud it's probably benigh, a shop can just get the brakes adjusted.. I just took mine to a shop and they did it for like 27 bux or something.
It's definitely not too loud, and can only be heard with the window down, and when I'm driving next to a street median, concrete wall, next to a car, etc...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a brake job done on my old Chrysler Sebring, and a week after I started to notice a scraping/brushing sound as well. I took it back, and they said everything was fine. I still heard the sound. So, I went back and made the service tech stand outside the shop and I drove by.

They took the car back in, and cleaned the surface of both the rotor and changed the pads, and the sound disappeared. They said there was a build up of rust/dirt on the pad/rotor.....I can't see that being possible since they replaced the rotors and pads with the brake job.

Take it in to the dealer, let them fix it.
Good luck

Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks...that's exactly what I plan to do...I have an appointment for saturday already...I was just curious as to what the problem could be

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you can do a quick check by jacking up the car and then spinning the wheel(s). my car was doing the same exact thing and i've got warped rear rotors.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned
your car under warranty.. why get headache.. bring to the dealership and have them take a look... they give you a loaner car and drive around for fun!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Cremaster: and by spinning the wheels while the car is in the air, how exactly do I know my rotors are warped? I tried this already and heard the same sound, but I don't know how to tell whether they are warped or not. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Cremaster: and by spinning the wheels while the car is in the air, how exactly do I know my rotors are warped? I tried this already and heard the same sound, but I don't know how to tell whether they are warped or not. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
so i have this problem on my 04 sedan and i took my wheel off today to investigate. when i spun the wheel it gave a little resistance at the point it started to scrape. directly behind the rotor there is a thin piece of metal flush with the rotor offset by a few millimeters (have no idea what its called or why it is there). when i brushed my fingers against it it made the exact same sound that the rotor makes as i turn it, so i have a sneaking suspicion that it may be rubbing that piece somewhere, but i couldnt see where. on the other hand, as i watched the rotor spin i noticed it was slightly warped, so it might be brushing against the pads as well. not really sure what it is so ill probably just take it in to a shop sometime this week. ill let you all know what the verdict is.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sounds like a problem to me....!

WTF you have an '07 with brake issues....take it to the Dealership. You don't
need our opinions, you have a brake problem let them fix it....Warranty!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brushing/grinding sound coming from the brakes...help!!!