Planning to get front BBK? What size? brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
ELE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a front 6 pot 355mm rotora , rear stock caliper w/ drilled and slotted 2pc rotor and aftermarket pad,

compare to the stock front, i just feel a lot a lot a lot firmer solid braking at any moment at any time~~,....BBK is worth every penny, as for look, kekekkee, is a win win situation

and im hunting for the rear now, but as far as performance in the city, 100% enough,

Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I also don't understand why having only a front kit would not perform better than the stock set-up.
It's all about brake balance.

Front only BBK gives you a front brake bias.

You want the brakes to be balanced, which is why real BBK kits come with all 4 corners.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
It's all about brake balance.

Front only BBK gives you a front brake bias.

You want the brakes to be balanced, which is why real BBK kits come with all 4 corners.
We could argue this all day, I am posting from actual experience. Mike (my name as well) do you have any seat time in a G with only a front BBK?

I drove my G for 40,000 miles with the stock setup and now 20,000 miles with a front BBK and upgraded rear (Hawk HPS pads, stainless lines, Racing Brake rotor) .

Trust me, my setup far out performs the oem setup.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
We could argue this all day, I am posting from actual experience. Mike (my name as well) do you have any seat time in a G with only a front BBK?

I drove my G for 40,000 miles with the stock setup and now 20,000 miles with a front BBK and upgraded rear (Hawk HPS pads, stainless lines, Racing Brake rotor) .

Not to be a pain, and I do understand your point about seat-of-the-pants experience, but the only way to end the debate would be to show stopping distances before and after the changes. It may feel better, but is it really performing better? Of course, increased stability under braking with a BBK may enhance your overall performance because it increases your confidence, but are you really stopping shorter, or at least stopping the same with better repeatability?

Here's a good article on Zeckhausen with some actual testing results:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

Last edited by G35fromPA; 07-03-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Not to be a pain, and I do understand your point about seat-of-the-pants experience, but the only way to end the debate would be to show stopping distances before and after the changes. It may feel better, but is it really performing better? Of course, increased stability under braking with a BBK may enhance your overall performance because it increases your confidence, but are you really stopping shorter, or at least stopping the same with better repeatability?

Here's a good article on Zeckhausen with some actual testing results:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
+1, without numbers to back up your claims, and going off of "feel" only, then you can't come to any conclusion about performance increases. By increasing the front braking torque, all you likely have done is reduced the amount of pedal travel required to achieve brake lockup, which gives the false feeling of improved performance. Its what the car does once it reaches full lockup(which the stock system can do) that is determined by brake balance f/r, and what ultimately determines your stopping distance.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts

Do I count? I ran 13" rotors and 4 piston Z calipers on my maxima up front. Intitial bite was incredible. But push it HARD and the fronts would lock way before the rears. And the front end would dive. I upgraded the rears with 1/2" larger rotors and the balance was back, the car didn't nose dive when on the brakes and the fronts no longer locked up way sooner than the rears.
Balance is everything. Without it, most BBKs are just bling.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 350Z with only a front BBK stopped shorter and was better balanced than stock.

I win!DOMO

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually no. Because what you have isn't the stoptech 332 front brake kit that is actually desgined to be a front only kit. YOu have some wilwood setup that you haven't specified in terms of rotor size or caliper piston sizes etc..

But if you have some brake data from yourself or the manufacture of the kit, post it up.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In a G with only a front BBK? no. In other cars with only a front BBK? yes.

In a straight line, having a front brake bias will not have any adverse handling effects unless you brake to full ABS... the rears will still have too much grip and decrease stoppign distances. However, your front brakes will have a much heavier load than the rears, due to the increased stopping power. Even though you have a BBK, this will lead to excessive heating, which in turn could cause you to fade prematurely, get excessive wear, or both. You want the brake force to be balanced between the front and rears, just how you want the weight to be evenly distributed.

Rear brake bias... just imagine your car's rear end swinging out under braking.

Yes, you do outperform the OEM setup in terms of feel. A front-only BBK, unles specifically designed to be a front-only BBK, will decrease stopping performance.

The front is in ABS while the rear is not. This is obviously slower than full ABS on all 4 wheels.

1+.6 < 1+1

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 350Z with only a front BBK stopped shorter and was better balanced than stock.

I win!DOMO
Those are all Stoptech BBK's, and all of theirs are sized properly to not change the factory bias, or to change it very little. That's why they stop the same or shorter!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:57 AM
ELE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BBK is there for a reason, performance , or for looks, doesn't really matter, cuz some ppl may think different from u, there is always an argue point....heheh i just love my Front 6 pot, by performance and for show, those 2 point are always +1 than the tiny little stock brake.......i feel the difference on stopping, too much better than stock, but NEVER feel any imbalance, even during high speed braking or high speed corner braking.....

Brembo only design the front BBK 355mm for our cars', there must be a reason,
and stoptech too, so i guess, they have prove some point there....

hey, just go w/e u think is right~ peace....

Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Question Can A Post War Be Won?

I win!DOMO
Hey guys, I thought this thread was done. Remember, I won.

But everybody is a winner in my book!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Red Card Crew

Hey guys, I thought this thread was done. Remember, I won.

But everybody is a winner in my book!
Uh no. Them Stoptech. You some wilwood kit that you haven't even been able to supply the specs on.

But go ahead and keep thinking your fabricated kit by some vendor is properly sized.