Guys with BC coilovers - need help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
that is interesting.... because i have not noticed any kind of noise especially from the rear. I have had the whole suspension checked out by a guru and everything seemed fine. I wonder what the instructions say... do we have to use the stock rubber mount or not?

I talked to Pete@BcRacing about this awhile back and thought it needed to be used but he assured me it was not needed and I do not get any noise or clunk

Old 07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^Ya, i would imagine if it was not sitting tight, then it would have many annoying clunking sounds coming from two of those metals rubbing against each other.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is interesting.... because i have not noticed any kind of noise especially from the rear. I have had the whole suspension checked out by a guru and everything seemed fine. I wonder what the instructions say... do we have to use the stock rubber mount or not?
I actually don't think the instructions do say to use the stock rubber mounts. I only discovered how everything goes after I took my car for a test drive without them and after going over a few speed bumps. The almost obvious problem/solution occurred to me as soon as I looked at the gold piece again.

Originally Posted by Glex25
I talked to Pete@BcRacing about this awhile back and thought it needed to be used but he assured me it was not needed and I do not get any noise or clunk
Maybe pete needs to get in here. The simple physics of this doesn't add up. If what you are saying is true, then the stock springs didn't need that rubber piece at all provided that the springs are sitting properly snug. Obviously this is wrong.....

Last edited by SDGeneralCounsel; 07-03-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Every suspension has a different design. So saying BC's design sucks just because it does not utilize the factory rubber mounts is just wrong. As i said i have these coilovers for a while already and have not noticed any noise coming out from the rear at all. I had noise coming out before but that was a broken endlink not the spring mount. People that know me will tell u i drive the **** out of the car all the time and if there was a flaw with these coilovers i would have already experienced it.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every suspension has a different design. So saying BC's design sucks just because it does not utilize the factory rubber mounts is just wrong. As i said i have these coilovers for a while already and have not noticed any noise coming out from the rear at all. I had noise coming out before but that was a broken endlink not the spring mount. People that know me will tell u i drive the **** out of the car all the time and if there was a flaw with these coilovers i would have already experienced it.
I'm not saying the design sucks at all, just that the bottom rubber part is a must, and that the gold part was DESIGNED to go on top of the rubber mount. Just because you CAN beat on your car with your suspension installed improperly doesn't mean you should.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
I'm not saying the design sucks at all, just that the bottom rubber part is a must, and that the gold part was DESIGNED to go on top of the rubber mount. Just because you CAN beat on your car with your suspension installed improperly doesn't mean you should.
I still don't understand ur pont. Where did u get that the rubber mount HAS to be used??? BC representative says that it doesn't need to be used, instructions does not mention anything about using ur stock rubber mount, yet u think it HAS to be used? Where did u get that info?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To me, it looks like the gold part was specifically made to sit right in the spring cup without the need for the rubber piece. I don't see how the rubber piece will work with the gold piece. I think I even tried it, but I don't remember for sure.

Since installing the coilovers, I installed a thin rubber piece between the cup and the gold piece to try to keep it from clunking, but that didn't change anything.

Name:  IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  146.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1522.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  147.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1524.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  126.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1527.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  113.2 KB

Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glex25
Maybe I'm not getting it cause I'm running
the stiffer suspension setup.

Revalved Shock body
Spring Rate 14K front and 12K rear

Even when I had the standard setup i never had clunking.
Gilley check that your spring doesn't have too much play.
If anything try tightening up the shock body in the rear
so it creates more spring compression.
Thats a good suggestion. Springs do settle after a bit and if there wasn't sufficient preload on the springs they could eventually have slight play for rattles.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm gonna take some pics to help clear up some confusion from old to new.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How much are the new springs that use the OEM rubber spring perch?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Sean,

There isn't really any additional benefit to the change other than less cost to manufacturer. The reason it was changed was the linear spring used with the gold seat needed to be able to seat the spring. The new spring is wound to fit on the stock rubber isolater. This eliminates the need for the gold piece. The customers using the gold seat do not require the rubber isolater. It is supposed to be a direct fit and metal on metal. I have seen a few using them, which wouldn't cause any problems. But, if installed with the proper preload, there should not be any rattles from the metal on metal contact. I didn't have my slr with me today, but I'll make sure to bring it in tommorow and snap those shots.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
So if you have the gold seat, the rubber piece isn't needed. Nice info Pete! Post pics of the new stuff.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I did not use the stock rubber part. The gold part is directly sitting on plate.
Vlad, I didnt know you had this suspension... I've been reading up on it today... what spring rate did you go with -and how do you like 'em?...

oh - and where did you get 'em... & how much? (PM me if needed)...

Last edited by OCG35; 07-08-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've just installed the "new" set of rear springs without the gold metal piece. As Pete said, it uses the stock rubber isolator in the spring bucket. I made sure to set the proper 1/4" of preload and I've got zero noise from the things. Love these coilovers so far!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Vlad, I didnt know you had this suspension... I've been reading up on it today... what spring rate did you go with -and how do you like 'em?...

oh - and where did you get 'em... & how much? (PM me if needed)...
I went with 10k/8k front/rear. I love them. Softer than my s-techs when u adjust the dampening to its softest with very easy to reach *****. Quality looks great as well. Did some hard driving with my bald tires and the grip and overall feel of the car is amazing after the corner balance. I would highly recommend them for their price. I haven't had any other coilovers besides this but at the same time i would not want anything more than what these things offer already. O, on the stiffest setting on the street, these things will brake ur back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guys with BC coilovers - need help!!