Guys with BC coilovers - need help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
so the sole purpose of the gradually bigger diameter coil is to seat properly and rid the bucket?... the gradually bigger coil does not affect the spring rate?... okay… I’m not a physics major – but it seems a broader coil would compress at a different rate than a tighter coil – unless the thickness tapers at the narrow side (which I highly doubt it does, and doesn’t look like it does – and doesn’t seem like good idea).

So linear spring rate it is – I guess...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
so the sole purpose of the gradually bigger diameter coil is to seat properly and rid the bucket?... the gradually bigger coil does not affect the spring rate?... okay… I’m not a physics major – but it seems a broader coil would compress at a different rate than a tighter coil – unless the thickness tapers at the narrow side (which I highly doubt it does, and doesn’t look like it does – and doesn’t seem like good idea).

So linear spring rate it is – I guess...
Exactly!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
It clearly states the there is an average rate for the whole spring compression process therefore making it a linear rate. If it was talking about the linear spring that u are referring to, there wouldn't be an average diameter because there would only be one throughout the length of the spring. Average diameter means that the top portion of the spring has different diameter compared to the bottom portion.
Every kg/lb force on a linear spring will have the same effect throughout the springs compression no matter how much it compresses.
The spacing between the springs appears to be the SAME though(same pitch not variable pitch), so the BC conical spring design appears to be the second type, not the linear type. That was what my question was asking...
Originally Posted by redlude97
how are they not progressive when the springs are wound at what appears to be the same spacing while the coil diameter gets smaller

Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Conical Compression Springs

Conical Springs are Cone shaped compression springs designed to provide a near constant spring rate and a solid height lower than a normal spring. Each spring features a variable pitch to achieve the constant spring rate and coils which nest during deflection to provide a solid height approximately equal to two wire diameters.

Some uses for conical compression springs are as follows:

Small Solid Height: A Conical spring can be designed so that each active coil fits within the next coil, so the solid height can be equal to one or two thicknesses of wire. This is useful where the solid height is limited.
Variable Rate: These springs offer a constant, or uniform pitch, and have an increasing force rate instead of a constant force rate (regular compression springs). The larger coils gradually begin to bottom as a force is applied. A variable pitch can be designed to give a uniform rate if necessary.
Stability: Conical compression offers more lateral stability and less tendency to buckle than regular compression springs. Vibration: Resonance and vibration is reduced because Conical Compression springs have a uniform pitch and an increasing natural period of vibration (instead of a constant) as each coil bottoms.
As u can see even Conical type springs can be progressive and linear depending on the design. And the key feature to distinguish from to the other is the spaces between the coils. If u look at any progressive spring u will see that all of them have different spacing as far as the coils go and linear springs always have even spacing between each other. Both types of springs can be straight through design and Conical. the deciding factor is the spacing between the coils.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
As u can see even Conical type springs can be progressive and linear depending on the design. And the key feature to distinguish from to the other is the spaces between the coils. If u look at any progressive spring u will see that all of them have different spacing as far as the coils go and linear springs always have even spacing between each other. Both types of springs can be straight through design and Conical. the deciding factor is the spacing between the coils.
You just proved my point, if the pitch on a conical spring is even, then it is a variable(progressive) rate. Just as I stated. The pitch/spacing would have to be different for the springrate to be constant. Let me break it down so even you can understand.
Straight spring:
Same pitch-linear design
Varying pitch-progressive design

Conical spring:
Same pitch-progressive design
Varying pitch-linear design

Do you see the difference yet?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM
You just proved my point, if the pitch on a conical spring is even, then it is a variable(progressive) rate. Just as I stated. The pitch/spacing would have to be different for the springrate to be constant. Let me break it down so even you can understand.
Straight spring:
Same pitch-linear design
Varying pitch-progressive design

Conical spring:
Same pitch-progressive design
Varying pitch-linear design

Do you see the difference yet?
okay, im not disagreeing but where did u come up with this conclusion?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
okay, im not disagreeing but where did u come up with this conclusion?
Right from your own bolded quote.
Variable Rate: These springs offer a constant, or uniform pitch, and have an increasing force rate instead of a constant force rate (regular compression springs). The larger coils gradually begin to bottom as a force is applied. A variable pitch can be designed to give a uniform rate if necessary.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Right from your own bolded quote.
I will chime in later today as soon as do more research and ask my dad, who is a mechanical engineer.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
How much are the new springs that use the OEM rubber spring perch?
The old style used that as well. Look at the gold base compared to the base of the stock springs. It is obvious if you look at the two and put them together.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
exactly - that's why I thought they "looked" progressive... also, there's this:
how are they not progressive when the springs are wound at what appears to be the same spacing while the coil diameter gets smaller
exactly - that's why I thought they "looked" progressive... also, there's this:
Originally Posted by Glex25
If you have the newer springs(:Progressive) that are kind of fat in the middle you don't need the lower bucket according to Pete@BcRacing.
No clunking sound here.
I adjust springs first and then adjust the shock body until it gets tight or vice versa.

Remember you don't want slack on your springs cause that means that you will be riding on more shock than spring and can blow out your shock body.

I mis-spoked and I believe it was correctly answered by Blackguy and Pete in this thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seriously, dudes. I solved your problem days ago and you continue to argue about it. Straight from the horses mouth... I had two different sources say they are NOT progressive springs. Pete at BC Racing and Adam from z1 auto who CALLED BC up to check for me on the gold spring bucket piece and whether or not the springs are progressive.

Redlude, I know you're a smart dude and know a lot about our cars, but why do you insist on arguing by trying to go over people's head with spring equations from senior year of HS? I don't get it.

If Pete comes on here and says they are progressive springs, then you will be right, but he will have completely contradicted himself (which could happen). But until then, we have been told they are NOT!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
How can a spring be progressive?

One of 3 way's.

1. Having a series of coils that are wound closely together as to bind at some point in compression. (common)

2. Having a wire diameter that changes in thickness at some point in the springs overall length (rare, never seen this type in use)

3. Having a tapered design where the outside diameter is not consistant from the beginning to end (used on the following ap's, HKS LS, LS+, II, KW, and Tein Basic front springs)

Since the new rear spring is tapered, it is progressive, however,...................

Tapered springs do not have a wide rate spread between inital and final rates, they also do not have coil bind so the rates cannot suddenly change.

Whoever install's the new design, I'd do whatever you can to reuse the oem rubber insert for the lower control arm, your already at a disadvantage with the thin rubber pad above the upper mount for N.V.H. reason's that come's with the kit.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by 05GRide
Seriously, dudes. I solved your problem days ago and you continue to argue about it. Straight from the horses mouth... I had two different sources say they are NOT progressive springs. Pete at BC Racing and Adam from z1 auto who CALLED BC up to check for me on the gold spring bucket piece and whether or not the springs are progressive.

Redlude, I know you're a smart dude and know a lot about our cars, but why do you insist on arguing by trying to go over people's head with spring equations from senior year of HS? I don't get it.
If they are from senior year of HS, I would assume everyone would know them and thus not being going over anyone's head right? I brought up basic concepts of springs in those equations, and guess what, the resident suspension guru, Gsedan35 agrees with me! You can take whatever is told to you by marketers at face value if you want, but I will continue to analyze and decide for myself. You are probably one of the ones that believed VRT's hype also right?
Originally Posted by 05GRide
If Pete comes on here and says they are progressive springs, then you will be right, but he will have completely contradicted himself (which could happen). But until then, we have been told they are NOT!
See above. Just because someone that works there tells me so does not make it true.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Gsedan35 and redlude97 have both given examples of why there is question as to progressive or linear… from the start I was thinking the same thing that they have mentioned…

The problem we have is no one has offered an explanation as to how the design is “not” progressive – even though we have several explanations as to why they “are” or “might be”.

Unfortunately, there is too much question for me… and more unfortunate is none has been answered as to how the new design can not be progressive… how does a spring design like that have a linear spring rate? If the answer is: “because black guy and manufacture says its not progressive”… that’s not the answer I’m looking for… can someone explain or post a link for reference please.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'm sure it would be nice to know either way but how would affect the performance and buying decision if they are one way or the other? (considering the multiple spring rates that seem to be available)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guys with BC coilovers - need help!!