any comparison tests done between 03-04 oem brembos VS 08+ G37 akebono BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow, not really the responses i was anticipating....let me interject with a couple things, i know upgrading tires, fluids, lines, pads will help...i also know that the akebono's heavy 1-piece rotors would be replaced once some nice 2-piece designs were available (same would probably go for the brembo's if i go that route)...what i would really like is a stoptech BBK f & r; however, the economical thing would be to go w/ brembo's or akebono's at the moment...i am not a track ***** but every once in a blue moon she will be pushed to her limits ...mainly i want the larger piston calipers, so i guess my real question is with similar rotors,pads,lines,etc which the better setup would be...if anyone has #s from the 04 coupe with its brake specs and a g37 coupe with its brake specs that would be helpful too (i know the #s would not be identical if transferred onto a g35)...on with the discussion

Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewTheSuit
wow, not really the responses i was anticipating....let me interject with a couple things, i know upgrading tires, fluids, lines, pads will help...i also know that the akebono's heavy 1-piece rotors would be replaced once some nice 2-piece designs were available (same would probably go for the brembo's if i go that route)...what i would really like is a stoptech BBK f & r; however, the economical thing would be to go w/ brembo's or akebono's at the moment...i am not a track ***** but every once in a blue moon she will be pushed to her limits ...mainly i want the larger piston calipers, so i guess my real question is with similar rotors,pads,lines,etc which the better setup would be...if anyone has #s from the 04 coupe with its brake specs and a g37 coupe with its brake specs that would be helpful too (i know the #s would not be identical if transferred onto a g35)...on with the discussion
Go with g37 brakes. They look nicer.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Did the op suffer from a mushy brake pedal? From stoptech. Also addresses the issue of smell. Could be a component of the pad, not necessarily the system as a whole:

MYTH # 3 - A SOFT BRAKE PEDAL IS THE RESULT OF PAD FADE
The all too familiar mushy brake pedal is caused by overheated brake fluid, not overheated pads. Repeated heavy use of the brakes may lead to "brake fade". There are two distinct varieties of brake fade

A) When the temperature at the interface between the pad and the rotor exceeds the thermal capacity of the pad, the pad loses friction capability due largely to out gassing of the binding agents in the pad compound. The brake pedal remains firm and solid but the car will not stop. The first indication is a distinctive and unpleasant smell which should serve as a warning to back off,

B) When the fluid boils in the calipers air bubbles are formed. Since air is compressible, the brake pedal becomes soft and "mushy" and pedal travel increases. You can probably still stop the car by pumping the pedal but efficient modulation is gone. This is a gradual process with lots of warning

Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
How much do the g37 calipers weigh in comparison to the brembos?

-Sean

Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Caliper weight is not what is going to hurt performance. Rotating mass makes a much bigger diff.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Caliper weight is not what is going to hurt performance. Rotating mass makes a much bigger diff.
Caliper weight will hurt performance, not as significantly as rotors, but it will hurt performance. That isn't the question though.

What is the weight different in calipers?

-Sean

Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Did the op suffer from a mushy brake pedal? From stoptech. Also addresses the issue of smell. Could be a component of the pad, not necessarily the system as a whole:
that is not the point though. The point is that out of the box OEM brembos are more track ready than the g37 brakes. Both of them can be modified to be as good as almost any BBK out there. When people go with 18 inch rotors 16 piston BBKs, there is really no point besides adding rotating mass and slowing ur car's acceleration. 13-14 inch nice brakes are more than enough for our 3400 lb cars. I have done lots of comparison with very close people including back in 2004 with Rob_G35's 2003 G35 6MT coupe. There is a particular road that will wear heat ur brakes up with constant 70-20 mph slow downs every 10-20 seconds for about 10 minutes strait and his bone stock OEM brembos actualy held up better than his 2005 s2k that we tested two years later.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
that is not the point though. The point is that out of the box OEM brembos are more track ready than the g37 brakes. Both of them can be modified to be as good as almost any BBK out there. When people go with 18 inch rotors 16 piston BBKs, there is really no point besides adding rotating mass and slowing ur car's acceleration. 13-14 inch nice brakes are more than enough for our 3400 lb cars. I have done lots of comparison with very close people including back in 2004 with Rob_G35's 2003 G35 6MT coupe. There is a particular road that will wear heat ur brakes up with constant 70-20 mph slow downs every 10-20 seconds for about 10 minutes strait and his bone stock OEM brembos actualy held up better than his 2005 s2k that we tested two years later.
I didn't know what you were running. oem brembos? For the most part I agree with everything. If you've read my posts, I've said as much.

I just wanted to know your reasons for stating the Akebonos weren't track worthy while the brembos are. Both feature fixed 4 piston calipers. The only diff I see is the Akebono 14" by 13.8" rotor size. If the oem brembos were up to the task, I don't see why these wouldn't be.

IMHO, the larger mass of the 14" inchers should have given him more heat capacity.

I also don't quite 100% understand the specs of both systems. Akebono was 100% stock right down to the pads. Yours? You have aftermarket lines, fluid, rotors. But on oem brembos? An direct all oem comparison of the brembo/Akebono setups on the same model G35 coupe or sedan (on similar wheels/tires) would have been cool to hear about.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
ok post #22 i was talking about my friends g35 coupe back in 2004 which came with OEM brembos.

on the other posts i was talking about the Akebonos compared to my slightly modded oem sedan brakes.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Red Card Crew

IMHO, what he might have experienced was from either not running fluid that was appropiate to his application or the oem pads weren't meant for the duty he put them though. It's still not clear as he states the performance wasn't affected. The crappy thing is I don't think there are any performance pads available. But I'm sure their will be soon. Can't see these great brakes not getting a 2pc version or aftermarket pads soon. Racing Brake will probably be the 1st to offer a 2 pcs as they offer 2 pcs for the oem brembos.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
The point is that out of the box OEM brembos are more track ready than the g37 brakes.
what makes them more track ready?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
IMHO, what he might have experienced was from either not running fluid that was appropiate to his application or the oem pads weren't meant for the duty he put them though. It's still not clear as he states the performance wasn't affected. The crappy thing is I don't think there are any performance pads available. But I'm sure their will be soon. Can't see these great brakes not getting a 2pc version or aftermarket pads soon. Racing Brake will probably be the 1st to offer a 2 pcs as they offer 2 pcs for the oem brembos.
I agree. That is the main reason i would stick to something that has been proven to do what I require from my brakes such as getting brembos. I wouldn't want to get the heavier brakes and hope there is aftermarket support to make them better.
If i was in OP's position i would get the g37 brakes since they do look better than the brembos.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
what makes them more track ready?
name, it has proven to do well before, it is a very well known brand, lots of aftermarket support and the whole experience that i described throughout this thread.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually my ideal setup (for me) would be a set of OEM brembos with the RB racing 2 pc rotors. I think THAT would be a kick arsed track bbk setup as you get to retain the oem brake bias.

But I commend you for getting such great performance from your oem floating piston setup. You on the pre-05 11.5" rotors or on the post-05 12.6" units?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
yeah, I was looking for something a little more quantitative than qualitative.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: any comparison tests done between 03-04 oem brembos VS 08+ G37 akebono BBK