any comparison tests done between 03-04 oem brembos VS 08+ G37 akebono BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
well right now i have stoptech drilled replacement rotors which are the same diameter as the original 2004.5 g35 sedans came with. I am very happy with the improvement over stock. I did suffer from the stopping distances but the heat resistance is night and day difference.

I will eventually get the OEM brembos but it is not a priority for now.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
@ the OP:

What comparison are you looking for? A single stop from 100-0 or 60-0? Stock is fasest. BBK = slower stop.

When you do multiple stops, the BBK will resist fade, while the OEM/non-brembos will fade much more quickly.

Are you looking for 1 time performance or repeat braking performance?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't understand how a BBK will make your stopping distances worse? That makes no sense.

-Sean

Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I don't understand how a BBK will make your stopping distances worse? That makes no sense.

-Sean
because pads used in most of the BBK need to heat up to a certain temperature to work in theri optimum strength. On regular freeway driving they don't heat up at all and if there is a sudden traffic jam it will not stop as quick as lets say a g35 with stock brakes.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
because pads used in most of the BBK need to heat up to a certain temperature to work in theri optimum strength. On regular freeway driving they don't heat up at all and if there is a sudden traffic jam it will not stop as quick as lets say a g35 with stock brakes.
Roger, i was just doing some reading on stop techs website and it makes a little bit of sense to me now, but i understood it as ABS working the same on both cars. If the one car didn't have ABS it would stop faster with a BBK given the fact that ABS wouldn't shut off the hydrolic lines to certain wheels at certain times...

Here is the read - it starts after they talk about the different traction control systems.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakekits.shtml

-Sean

Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
@ the OP:

What comparison are you looking for? A single stop from 100-0 or 60-0? Stock is fasest. BBK = slower stop.

When you do multiple stops, the BBK will resist fade, while the OEM/non-brembos will fade much more quickly.

from a track perspective i'm trying to find out if the akebono's outperform the brembo's...i realize larger, heavier rotors < oem setup, i also understand fluids/pads relationship with fading...i like the LOOK of a BBK (and fully understand that under most conditions the oem setup would work better) and for the few times i'll make it to the track i wanna know out of these two kits which one takes the cake...i was looking for some actually documentation and not just the usual "well, brembo is better because they're brembo" line

Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by DrewTheSuit
from a track perspective i'm trying to find out if the akebono's outperform the brembo's...i realize larger, heavier rotors < oem setup, i also understand fluids/pads relationship with fading...i like the LOOK of a BBK (and fully understand that under most conditions the oem setup would work better) and for the few times i'll make it to the track i wanna know out of these two kits which one takes the cake...i was looking for some actually documentation and not just the usual "well, brembo is better because they're brembo" line
That is why earlier i has asked if their is any weight difference in the two. I know the OEM (infiniti) brakes are larger in size compared to the brembos. If there is any weight difference, how much? Different materials will conduct heat more and transfer heat differently. If they are made of the same material, than i am going to say that the OEM will be able to withstand more just because it will be able to handle more heat...i don't know if that makes sense at all, but just a thought.

-Sean

Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread

Good stuff guys, minimal BS and not one mention of $800 worth of brackets to mount the heavy footballs............sorry, had to go there.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
@ the OP:

What Mike is saying is usually correct. Many after market BBK (especially front only) end up increasing front brake bias. This increases stopping distance.

The only way to know 100% is to use a brake bias calculator. If you can provide me with the diameters of the front and rear pistons and rotor size I can calculate it for you.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every pad has a temperature vs friction coefficient graph and a friction vs application speed graph. Plus friction vs pad depth graph.
These graphs are trade secrets but easily measured and duplicated by PROFESSIONALS.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...tiongraphy.gif
Some pads are pretty useless until 100F some below 400F
http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ima...p-chart-02.gif
http://members.rediff.com/arun289/fctr_report1.gif
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/fig/0180570205013.png
http://www.powerstop.com/images/COFF_OF_FRICTION3.jpg

Last edited by Q45tech; 07-17-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
What it comes down to, is we need to either:

1. find a G35 coupe with Brembos, and a G35 coupe with Akebonos.
2. find a G37 with Brembos, and a G37 Sport.

Either scenerio is unlikely, but if I can have two owners step up, I'd be more than happy to arrange for an apples to apples comparison (or at least as close to that as we can get... since levels of modification are likely different)

Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I realize this is a super old thread and I'm going to bring it back because the Akebonos are now available for the G35 and I know plenty of people have this setup. and I'm trying to decide between OEM Brembos vs. Akebonos.

So I guess if anyone has tested (and can bring in some solid numbers) the difference between the two, please chime in. Thanks =)

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Ok,

time to give this thread some life....

I have a 2003 G35 Sedan with the G37 BBK w/ StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk Pads.

Before after 1 full hard braking with the OEM rotors 245-35-20 tires and OEM pads the car would come to hault rather quickly from a 60-0. Can't tell you distance as I don't have the necessary equipment to accurately log this information. But a very reasonable distance....

After the 1st hard braking, you can forget about that same distance, it would progressively worsen. To the point you'd have to coast for a few miles or let the car sit for 10-15 minutes before you can move again if not you'd have ZERO brakes. I found myself having to downshift the A/T to help it brakes more and more.

Fast forward to the new brake setup...

I still had the 245-35-20's and I had to get rid of them.. If you slammed on the brakes (didnt take much pedal was now .75 - 1 inch away from full lock up) the body would tuck so severely that the tires would rub the fender (this is due to the spacer i have installed to clear the calipers).

The initial distance was not so impressive, was just as good as OEM but not something I'd be proud of with on the first reaction. This is due to the fact that when the pads heat up they get better, and better they got....... Once the pads got to operating temperature you'd have to take a breather break. The seat belt chokes you.... The distances became much shorter. I have changed tires recently to 225-30/20's and the braking is still incredible. I can put a penny on the rear deck hit the brakes and cause a concussion if it hits you.

As for rotational mass, honestly you don't really feel it. I guess I am used to having 20's which aren't designed for tracking any ways. ABS works good. With this Big brake kit, i have the choice of locking up the wheels or letting ABS sort it out. With the OEMs I had to stomp with both feet at 100+ to lock up the wheels. With the Akebono's at 100 if you tap the brake you're at 80.... If you slam on it.... (I'm afraid to do this and hopefully never have to) well all I can say from what I've experienced 70-0 you'll quite possibly push a kidney out your liver.

Not much data to back the claims, but I can honestly tell you I am finally happy with brakes.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Holy necromancy.

Get the Akebonos.