Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
That's one way to get to 6,000 posts...
Bad day ???
relax Papa,it was a joke
if my post was offended you then i am sorry okay...okay?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TINMAN
Bad day ???
relax Papa,it was a joke
if my post was offended you then i am sorry okay...okay?
Trust me, I was not offended. I have much thicker skin than that. Sometimes it's not easy to come up with a witty response.

That's the best I could muster.

Peace.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 AM
nice write up thumbs up =)

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
good read, let me ask what you guys think of this BBK? How is the bias on these brakes?

8 piston 380mm/15 inch front 2 piece floating rotors
6 piston 356mm/14 inch rear 2 piece floating rotors

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...t-red-bbk.html

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes/43954...us-prices.html

Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
good read, let me ask what you guys think of this BBK? How is the bias on these brakes?

yeah I'd like to know as well..

Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also feel that after piston vs rotor sizing is engineered, the quality of the kits comes down to materials and durability (and part replacement). Thats also where I think StopTech comes out on top, is they actually put a lot of engineering into their caliper design, the brackets and the float of the rotors and do so per specific kit. I don't know how much of it was advertising fluff, but the indepth review and install Modified did on their race-prepped 350Z project was amazing (July issue maybe?).

Wilwood is good, but I think they are relying on their grassroots and nascar following. Their calipers are nice, but beyond that I dont recall seeing a lot of new development from them lately. I guess for being lower priced then Stop-Tech they make a great alternative if your pockets dont reach that far.

In terms of Endless and Rotora, performance and engineering aside, I've heard they are hard to get replacement parts for, same goes for AP-Racing.

As for RacingBrake, I like they're new to market approach, especially in their rotor design, but from what I have seen and heard they still have some growing pains to go through in terms to their calipers. Which might just be a case of bias engineering per chassis design or customer education.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit

until they release or someone posts the piston sizing it is impossible to know

Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW....

All the bias calculating from only rotor size and piston area can be out the window with a pad change. For the guy who reads that Brand X kit pushes 2% more brake to the rear....he may already have more (or less) than this in reality based upon his current (and future front) pad choice. 'Typically' the calculations are based upon a common Cf for the pad to make this easier. But....one can easily alter factory bias by simply elevating the rear pad Cf alone.

While the ST testing should be applauded for its results the net result as mentioned can be achieved by other means. Step back a moment and grasp the true purpose of that test; not to teach you about how brakes work....but to sell you product. (never overlook that in any test or comparison) And it seems do be doing a good job of it still about ten years later- a very effective campaign I must admit.

The choice of master cylinder someone mentioned has nothing to do with brake bias- unless it has a twin set up the fronts and rears get the same input line pressure. Bias in the case of the oe production car is based only on the wheel specs.

As a general rule; increase rotor dia, decrease piston area, tune with pad.

That being said too much of a "good thing" can be bad. The reason final piston areas are not overly small to make it better is that this in turn effect the knee point of the prop valve. Very small front area requires more pressure, that boosts rear pressure also which then kicks in the knee sooner. If you don't follow all that...that's ok.

As for new: the W6a has been a proven caliper for new front kits. Much beefier than the standard BSL6r part we'd had for years.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
One thing I don't anyone addressing is the fact that these cars are equipped with the electronic brake force distribution which can vary brake bias among all brakes. That has to come into play when making arguments about improving rear brake bias.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I'd never put performance oriented brakes on a car that didn't have ABS...

locked up brakes???

Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I'd never put performance oriented brakes on a car that didn't have ABS...

locked up brakes???
I have. When I say maintaining brake bias is important, I sort of mean it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have. When I say maintaining brake bias is important, I sort of mean it.
brake locked up is old school...

Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
lol yeah i know about bbk's, idk why I brought them up

my friend put some altima front brakes on his 96 g20 and if u aren't careful it will lock up the brakes pretty nicely with the back going in a slightly different direction, but the car defiantly stops better if you are careful.

I would think in the case of an 03-04 G35 which has abs(the g20 is supposed to but it doesn't work) and the rear calipers are the same on 05-06 G's just with different brackets, the only difference is the size of the rear rotors so it seems like it wouldn't be a huge issue to drive around like that until it was time to do the rear brakes.

the question is has anyone actually tried it and is their G currently upside down at the bottom of a ravine?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by 00gts6speed
lol yeah i know about bbk's, idk why I brought them up

my friend put some altima front brakes on his 96 g20 and if u aren't careful it will lock up the brakes pretty nicely with the back going in a slightly different direction, but the car defiantly stops better if you are careful.

I would think in the case of an 03-04 G35 which has abs(the g20 is supposed to but it doesn't work) and the rear calipers are the same on 05-06 G's just with different brackets, the only difference is the size of the rear rotors so it seems like it wouldn't be a huge issue to drive around like that until it was time to do the rear brakes.

the question is has anyone actually tried it and is their G currently upside down at the bottom of a ravine?
lots of ppl have used bbk in front and oem in rear without problem...

Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
so then what's the problem?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.