Old 10-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Needs new pads....!

Another easy question to answer....Riverside Infiniti 1-800-919-8130. Ask
for Tony or Mike they always give Driver members a huge discount. G/L
Gary

Old 10-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep id recommend you go to sears and have them install oem pads from the dealer, you cant bring them in yourself but find out how much the dealerships in your area are charging for them, i recently got my entire brake job with OEM parts for about 350

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are any of these good (see link)? Just looking for stock (safe) performance. Any experience with the ones they have?

I don't care if the pad wears quick, I just don't want the pad to make the rotor wear out faster. I like to change the pads frequently enough so I don't have rotor issues, if that makes any sense...

http://tinyurl.com/545fm6

Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheap way of 'upgrading' is to get good pads, braided hoses, and some GOOD fluid... You'll feel a hell of a difference brake wise.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
See this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3273423

Got new front rotors and pads installed for under $600 at a reputable Chicago service shop.

I went with the Posi-Quiet organic/ kevlar Extended Wears that are easier on rotors.

Centric recommended these over their Ceramic line. Ceramics need to heat up for Max effectiveness.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
What are the stock pads made of? Semi metallic? Ceramic?

I want pads that stop as well as stock, and if possible, are easier on the rotors. I don't mind replacing pads often. I'd like to replace rotors less often if that is possible.

Does that mean I want ceramic, not Semi-metallic?

What are the plusses and minuses? I see many different pad materials out there.

If my best bet is to just go to Infiniti parts department, just let me know.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
What are the stock pads made of? Semi metallic? Ceramic?

I want pads that stop as well as stock, and if possible, are easier on the rotors. I don't mind replacing pads often. I'd like to replace rotors less often if that is possible.

Does that mean I want ceramic, not Semi-metallic?

What are the plusses and minuses? I see many different pad materials out there.

If my best bet is to just go to Infiniti parts department, just let me know.
Stock front pads are semi-metallic. Rears are a ceramic mix. Semi-metallic pads have steel wools in their compound, which contribute to initially higher friction but higher rotor wear as well.

The rotors on my G35 coupe were cut (by dealer) at the time of the warranty replacement of the stock pads ..... 22K miles. That with relaxed mostly suburban driving. Those replacement semi-metallic replacement pads lasted another 26K miles. By that time the front rotors could not be cut again so they had to be replaced at 48K miles.

I owned an E36 M3 and original pads lasted more than 43K miles. When I sold the car the pads still had another 15K miles left on them and the rotors twice that. And that car had better braking in 1997 than the G35 exhibited in 2003.

So going from closer to true sports car to a luxury sporty coupe I didn't need the headache or cost of changing pads every 25K miles and rotors every 50K miles.

That why I called Centric in California. I spoke to the head tech there. Besides their Axxis line they market their own line of higher end street pads called Posi-Quiet. That line consists of semi-metallics, ceramics and organic kevlars (Extended Wear) for the G35. Each is priced about the same. Given the parameters of the driving I do (suburban stop & go) and the climate (Chicago) and they recommended the Extended Wears. BTW dust concerns were not a big issue for me.

They even make Posi-Quiets for Corvette Z-06s (semi metallic).

And Extended Wears for the Aston Martin DB-9.

Last edited by athens; 10-06-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i got my oem pads from everythingg35.com they were cheaper than all vendors on this site, and that even included the shipping

Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
If you want the stellar braking performance of the OEM setup (60-0 stopping in 110', supercar territory), you're going to have to go with the OEM configuration. That means you'll have to accept the dusting, replacing pads every 20-25K miles and rotors every 30-40K miles. That's the way it goes. If you don't want the dusting or the relatively short brake life, then you can go with aftermarket components, but you're going to loose out on the great initial bite and overall braking performance. I can assure you that. Many high performance cars, especially German car, smoke through pads and rotors in the 20K to 30K miles. You don't get exceptional braking performance without heavy wear. The same applies to performance tires. It goes hand in hand.

The great thing is the pads can be replacing in about 2 minutes once the wheel is off and the rotors can be done in about 20 minutes, per side.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Btw, this will be my third set of brakes, and I have 31,000 miles on this car.

Now I am really leaning toward the OEM pads.

But three questions come up:

1- Can I get a fast wearing pad that is easier on the rotors but still bites well? I don't care about dust, and I don't care if I have to replace pads often.

2- How much are the rotors? I haven't paid for a set yet.

3- For the guy that got the extended wear organic ones - did you notice a difference in braking, for your particular driving style? And, is everythingG35.com still in business? Their site doesn't come up.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 10-06-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Btw, this will be my third set of brakes, and I have 31,000 miles on this car.

Now I am really leaning toward the OEM pads.

But three questions come up:

1- Can I get a fast wearing pad that is easier on the rotors but still bites well? I don't care about dust, and I don't care if I have to replace pads often.

2- How much are the rotors? I haven't paid for a set yet.

3- For the guy that got the extended wear organic ones - did you notice a difference in braking, for your particular driving style? And, is everythingG35.com still in business? Their site doesn't come up.
That's ATHENS to you mikeb2004.

Braking did not significantly change. When parked overnight will require a brief tap on the pedal before full friction is available and then it is as good as OEM.

OEM rotors will run 100 apiece. The OEM rotors are thin to keep down unsprung weight.

Any indie shop can find the Centric Posi-Quiets for the G35 in stock at their local warehouses.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you get what you pay for

Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
If you want the stellar braking performance of the OEM setup (60-0 stopping in 110', supercar territory), you're going to have to go with the OEM configuration. That means you'll have to accept the dusting, replacing pads every 20-25K miles and rotors every 30-40K miles. That's the way it goes. If you don't want the dusting or the relatively short brake life, then you can go with aftermarket components, but you're going to loose out on the great initial bite and overall braking performance. I can assure you that. Many high performance cars, especially German car, smoke through pads and rotors in the 20K to 30K miles. You don't get exceptional braking performance without heavy wear. The same applies to performance tires. It goes hand in hand.

The great thing is the pads can be replacing in about 2 minutes once the wheel is off and the rotors can be done in about 20 minutes, per side.
As I said on my 1997 E36 M3 rotors lasted likely to 70K miles and the pads to 55K miles. And the Z rated Michelin SXX3 lasted to 40K miles without irregular wear issues.

That said, the G35 in 2003 still did not offer the performance capabilities of the E36 M3.

I realize that some contributors to these threads demand more from their cars performance-wise than others (myself included).

Those contributors who either drive hard or mod (or both) can reasonably expect early wear rates for wear and tear items like brakes and tires.

For the rest of us the G35 was marketed as a premium luxury sporty touring car. The way the car was marketed by Nissan.

Some of us don't change our own brake pads. We go to service shops, whether dealers or indies.

When you go from an M3 to a G35, as I did, and you are getting half useful life for these wear and tear items, with less performance, it does not fall within one's reasonable expectations. Our reasonable expectations are based upon our past experiences with similar products.

If worn brake pads at 20K miles is so normal why did Infiniti offer the pad replacement warranty on the 2002-2004 G?

In designing a car that can be manufactured and marketed for a profit there are always compromises in design. With the G the "Achilles Heel" in design has been brake component specs.

See Car and Driver's August 2008 issue: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...top_tech_stuff

Last edited by athens; 10-06-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
well i got some Satisified Pro-Ceramics on all four corners and i have no issues whatsoever.. no vdc issues, no abs issues, etc...

i had the pro-ceramics on my old 01' g20.. never an issue so i got them for my g coupe also...

i've only had my rotors turned once and fluid topped off at about 45k miles and thats when i switched from the oem pads to the satisfied pro-ceramic pads... i now have over 100k miles on my car.. and i've only replaced initial ceramic pads once with the same ones at about 75k miles and i didnt need my rotors replaced or turned that time around.. i'm very happy with them.. brakes good for everyday driving and low dust.. good luck

i got them at http://www.tirerack.com

they're currently $50 for the front set and $64 for the rears.. pretty reasonable if you ask me lol

Last edited by Nismoboy; 10-06-2008 at 08:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need brake pads. Recommended source?