Bilstein PSS10 - Anyone have any opinons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bilstein PSS10 - Anyone have any opinons?

So I was going to get the BC Racing coilover but the recent issues with clunking and noises have me rethinking this. These are my next choice

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s....H0&perfCode=P

Anyone know how they fair on the G? I want something that is decently driveable around town and then I can adjust at the track.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
bilsteins are great, haven't seen a negative review about them. Good choice

Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Almost went with these....weren't available at the time.
Anyone running them??

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heard there very nice and not overlyharsh for the street. not a track coilover in my view but I think you would be extremly happy with them for a DD that you push hard on the streets

Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
holy crap, these are new! damn i wish these were available when i was looking! i have kwv2 now... still pretty good... i have yet to hear a negative review of the pss series for our cars. im not sure if these will be sufficient at the track

Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilsteins are the shizz. Do it!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
sorry for bumping such an old thread but the OP hasn't had activity since 2011. If anyone has/had these coilovers on their car please let me know if these are worth getting. I've tried to do as much research as I can our g35 with these coils but came up short :/
My car is not a track car but a DD, just looking for Premium comfort/ without squeaks and rattling.

Thx

Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^Second that

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Most people who have dyno'd the pss10's completely hate on the adjustors and most people say the pss9 is by far the superior product.

Adjustors are kind of overrated anyway unless you are a pretty advanced track driver and/or have a shock dyno.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
For those of you looking for comfort out of a set of coilovers look at the Tanabe Pro5's. I bought them for that very reason and after over 2 years still love them. You can't lay frame with them but that's just fine with me.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the suggestion; I'll look at those too. Today, my two choices are Megan's or BCs; thoughts?

I want a max drop of 1" in the front and 3/4" rear, although I know they'll go much lower.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
BC>Megan but remember they are both considered budget coilovers.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Blue Dream, which is a favorite of mine, what's your opinion/recommendation ?

I've had this car for a month, have read almost every suspension thread and have seen your posts and comments to know that you know what you're talking about.

I've got an 03 non sport sedan with 120k miles. I've got a Stillen high flow intake with a Z tube and Stillen Gen2 cat back exhaust. The drone was nuts so I had a 1/4 wave tuner added and it's now perfect. Tires are 215/55/17 and I want no more than an 1 1/4 in the front and 3/4 in the rear.

And it's a daily driver.

Last edited by GregSimmons; 04-10-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
It depends on what your goals in suspension are. Subjective comfort? subjective "driving feel?", objective performance?

I can't really comment on the subjective part, because for one, it's subjective, and two I've only so far driven/rode in g's on stock suspension. I have rode in other cars on different shocks, but don't know how generalize-able it is.

but I would STRONGLY recommend you be HIGHLY skeptical about recommendations and reviews for coilovers, especially random people in car forums(like me), especially if you care about objective performance in any sense of the word performance.

Shocks do not do what most people think shocks do. If you care about learning, this is a good primer, and the next "buying shocks" and "shock forces" pages, though this is mostly talking about in a setting where you are able to test and build your own shocks.
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Most japanese and taiwanese shocks are not very digressive. Basically, a lot of them end up way too stiff, especially in high speed rebound, because that is what consumers want when they buy different than OEM shocks. You get a more uncomfortable ride with less control and traction.

BC and megan are manufactured by the same taiwanese comany, bor-chuann (as well as like a bajillion other brands). based on what i've read, i would not go with either of those.

I can't find any specific data on tanabe in specific, and that alone makes me skeptical of them.

Most people who care about quality and performance in shocks stick with a few brands, and don't really go out looking to test others. The ones you can find tons of dyno plots for are the ones with a long standing reputation for quality. Like bilstein, koni, kw, ast, ohlins, moton, jrz, and penske. (hmm, all european and american companies... I think it's kind of telling that the nissan gt-r uses bilsteins)

Bilsteins (without adjusters) and koni yellows really aren't that expensive. I really don't see a reason to go for budget coilover brands unless your only goals are $1k, and height adjustability+shiny ***** that do who knows what.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
It depends on what your goals in suspension are. Subjective comfort? subjective "driving feel?", objective performance?

I can't really comment on the subjective part, because for one, it's subjective, and two I've only so far driven/rode in g's on stock suspension. I have rode in other cars on different shocks, but don't know how generalize-able it is.

but I would STRONGLY recommend you be HIGHLY skeptical about recommendations and reviews for coilovers, especially random people in car forums(like me), especially if you care about objective performance in any sense of the word performance.

Shocks do not do what most people think shocks do. If you care about learning, this is a good primer, and the next "buying shocks" and "shock forces" pages, though this is mostly talking about in a setting where you are able to test and build your own shocks.
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Most japanese and taiwanese shocks are not very digressive. Basically, a lot of them end up way too stiff, especially in high speed rebound, because that is what consumers want when they buy different than OEM shocks. You get a more uncomfortable ride with less control and traction.

BC and megan are manufactured by the same taiwanese comany, bor-chuann (as well as like a bajillion other brands). based on what i've read, i would not go with either of those._

I can't find any specific data on tanabe in specific, and that alone makes me skeptical of them.

Most people who care about quality and performance in shocks stick with a few brands, and don't really go out looking to test others. The ones you can find tons of dyno plots for are the ones with a long standing reputation for quality. Like bilstein, koni, kw, ast, ohlins, moton, jrz, and penske. (hmm, all european and american companies... I think it's kind of telling that the nissan gt-r uses bilsteins)

Bilsteins (without adjusters) and koni yellows really aren't that expensive. I really don't see a reason to go for budget coilover brands unless your only goals are $1k, and height adjustability+shiny ***** that do who knows what.
Thanks for all that info.
Originally Posted by GregSimmons
^^^^Second that
I will more than likely purchase these sometime this week so after I get them and install them I will definitely let you know my opinion on these.

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
For those of you looking for comfort out of a set of coilovers look at the Tanabe Pro5's. I bought them for that very reason and after over 2 years still love them. You can't lay frame with them but that's just fine with me.
thanks blue, honestly I haven't really done much pricing on the pro 5 but it seems to be in the same price range which would just lead me to go with bilstein.

honestly though these coilovers been out for quite some time and yet there is no official review for the g35 which is kind of crazy I am pretty sure at least a handful of owners have them on their cars so input would be appreciated if any one of you guys can share your opinion.

Last edited by ohfive; 04-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.