Springs VS Coilovers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs VS Coilovers....

Obviously we know coilovers are hands-down better than springs, but at what price? I'm looking to lower the G, and have 285's on the back, thinking about rolling fenders and waiting till I need new tires, go back to 275 setup, don't want rubbing issues.

If I don't plan on drifting and just want that lower stance, aggresive look w/out performance, would springs be worth it? I drive mainly fwy, hardly any pot holes where I live. It's an auto and I don't plan on going the performace route.

Lastly, If I did go spring route, which ones, Tein? H&R?...etc

Can you get different struts, dampeners? Would it make a difference? Trying to get a "better" than oem ride out of springs. In my prior car, Acura RSX, springs made the worlds-difference.

Let me know,

Thanks

Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
well the advantage of coils , is that u can adjust your height when ever, but if u want tighter turns and a better feel for the car, i say go for it , but just to lower, save money and its going to stay the same height then go for springs

Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I went your route at first with the Eibach Pro Kit...it was cool but I had alignment issues, which forced me to invest in camber kits etc (spending more than I wanted to). I have since gone to coilovers (Tein Flex) and I wish I went that way to begin with. More fun to drive and more adjustability.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i would just save money and get coils!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
yea, wouldn't mind a set of coilovers w/EDFC

but, I'm not sure if I plan on drifting, you know?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
^ WHo says you need to go drifting? I don't...

Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by silver g
^ WHo says you need to go drifting? I don't...

yea, if money was no option would roll w/coilovers, but springs are so much more cheaper and I don't see the point in coils if I'm not drifting, let's go back to daily driving. Is the difference between springs and coils worth the extra 2k? while on the fwy.

lol prolly end up going w/springs...unless killer deal on coils shows up

Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't forget you need to buy a camber kit, or else your tires are going to wear out very fast.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Get coilovers!!! Your OEM shocks will eventually go out with just lowered on springs anyway.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So getting lets say 350z Tein S tech and aftermarket shocks and camber kit. Wouldn't that be a night and day difference as far as handling.

Or is it by the time you add all that up your pretty close to coilovers?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by nchima
yea, if money was no option would roll w/coilovers, but springs are so much more cheaper and I don't see the point in coils if I'm not drifting, let's go back to daily driving. Is the difference between springs and coils worth the extra 2k? while on the fwy.

lol prolly end up going w/springs...unless killer deal on coils shows up
Honestly I like the way my G rides on the FWY with coils. It's actually more comfortable and a much better ride than springs IMO...and also you can adjust the dampening and ride height on coils whereas you cannot adjust anything with springs. BTW coilovers are not for just drifting...so get that out of your head LOL!!

Like I said before...I originally went with lowering springs...3 years later I get Coilovers and I wish I would have went that way in the first place. Save your money and do it right...thats my advice

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by silver g
Honestly I like the way my G rides on the FWY with coils. It's actually more comfortable and a much better ride than springs IMO...and also you can adjust the dampening and ride height on coils whereas you cannot adjust anything with springs. BTW coilovers are not for just drifting...so get that out of your head LOL!!

Like I said before...I originally went with lowering springs...3 years later I get Coilovers and I wish I would have went that way in the first place. Save your money and do it right...thats my advice
yea, looking for a good deal on some coils....

Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Wouldn't you need camber kits with coilovers also?

You can adjust the firmness with just springs if you go with Konis or Tokico d-specs or similar.

Each time you change the ride height on coilovers you have to get another alignment.

IMHO, the real advantage of coilovers is the ability to run a much wider range of spring rates that are not typically available with aftermarket springs. But to me, it doesn't matter as those rates are typically pretty friggen' stiff (for racing applications)

Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wouldn't you need camber kits with coilovers also?

You can adjust the firmness with just springs if you go with Konis or Tokico d-specs or similar.

Each time you change the ride height on coilovers you have to get another alignment.

IMHO, the real advantage of coilovers is the ability to run a much wider range of spring rates that are not typically available with aftermarket springs. But to me, it doesn't matter as those rates are typically pretty friggen' stiff (for racing applications)
veteran status...

Yea, after I thought it out, I'll probably just end up going w/springs and a camber kit....just wait till I need some shocks/struts.

and check PM...

Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
At 80k, you need shocks too. ESPECIALLY if you are going with springs with significantly higher rates than stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Springs VS Coilovers....