GTspecbars/STB opinions and rear suspension creaking problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
GTspecbars/STB opinions and rear suspension creaking problems

Just curious as to what people think about the front/rear strut tower bars, and also the GT spec braces.

Is there a significant difference in handling? Is it even noticeable?

It seems like those are the only pieces i'm missing and was wondering if theyre worth it. I dont want it if it will not help handling/body flex.

Also I am having creaking noises from my rear suspension. sounds like its coming from the bushings on the inner area.

I currently have:
JIC FLT-A2 from a 350z
Stillen 3 way adjustable sways
ichiba front and rear camber kit
SPC rear toe bolts are on their way.

I made sure when I isntalled the sways the bushings were well greased.
Could it be because I don't have the toe kit on it is thrown off a lot?

My car is pretty low also.

about 1/2 inch from the lowest setting in the rear and the front is height matched.

I have searched a lot but could only find fixes for front creaking or endlinks which are both fine.

Any help on the squeaking problems and advice on the braces is appreciated.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I installed the bracing and let me tell you...YOU WILL definately notice a diffrence in the handling of your ride. My current setup includes the Tein CS with EDFC, Hotchikis adjustable sway bars, SPC camber rear camber kit, NRG strut bar, Stillen rear strut bar and all GT Spec bracing minus the 3 point chasis brace. However my friend has the mid brace and he said all and if not most of his creaking has gone away. He said you dont feel much body roll at all.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i hear a lot of flex in my rear chassis area so I would imagine the braces wouldnt hurt...as for the creaking, is it creaking (high pitch) or clunking (low tone). Its more than likely your rear sway bushings as its a common issue. Numerous tips out there to solve it.

I did these and it minimalized the clunking I was getting. installed the bars with teflon tape between bar and bushing, greased bar to bushing mating surface, went back later and loosened the rear most mounting bolts (easiest to get to) of the bushings about 3/4 turn from spec. its still there a little bit, but not as loud and certainly not as frequent.

Beyond that, others are trimming the bushings and replacing OEM endlinks with higher grade performance versions.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
It is high pitch creaking. I don't think it is the sway bar. I greased the sway bushings and also had someone jack up the car while I listened for the noise and it seems to be the inner busgings in the rear.

Hi-tech G did you also use the SPC toe bolts? I am thinking because I lowered it so much and have camber corrected and not toe yet could that stress the bushings more?

It is low enough to tuck about half the rear tire (1 inch from rim or so).

Only thing I can figure is since it is the Z JIC's (wok front, 12k rear springs) and I run them on almost the hardest setting at a low height the body is starting to give way.

I searched and couldnt really find any problems with the rear other than sway bushings and endlinks.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM
anyone else have similar problems they solved? I greased up all the bushings and it seems to be coming from the middle of the rear section (diff area) maybe it could be the axle joints as I saw in another post? if so how can I grease them up? also maybe it could be the bushings holding up the rear end?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not noticed a ton of difference with all the bracing I did on my car that much. I have seen the difference a "good" front upper strut bar can make and it is a big difference in chassis flex in the front of the car with it on. The front upper tower bar has to tie into the front suspension though. The only strut tower brace to do this to date and work properly is the Relentless one. Do some more research on it>

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...al-review.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...r-not-vrt.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...wer-brace.html

besides this ^ brace, sway bars make the biggest single difference.