Lowering my 2003...hmm...HELP !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering my 2003...hmm...HELP !

Hey folks,

So after much consideration, decided to drop my G35 sedan...I've been reading the forums, and talked to a few mechanics, and getting lots of different answers/suggestions...Just wondering what luck ( or suggestions ) anyone has had with lowering...

I'm only looking to drop 1.5", my first thought would be - just buy a set of Eibach springs and I'm good...But I've been told hell no, you need coilovers or dampners, some say you need new control arms, some say just changing springs is bad for the car, you'll through off your allignment, hard on tires, etc...

Of course because of cost, just changing the springs would be the desired route - but don't want to do damage to the car.

Any suggestions ? I'm not looking to improve performance, just want to drop it for the look

thanks

Last edited by SmokinSteveO; 03-09-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokinSteveO
Hey folks,

So after much consideration, decided to drop my G35 sedan...I've been reading the forums, and talked to a few mechanics, and getting lots of different answers/suggestions...Just wondering what luck ( or suggestions ) anyone has had with lowering...

I'm only looking to drop 1.5", my first thought would be - just buy a set of Eibach springs and I'm good...But I've been told hell no, you need coilovers or dampners, some say you need new control arms, some say just changing springs is bad for the car, you'll through off your allignment, hard on tires, etc...

Of course because of cost, just changing the springs would be the desired route - but don't want to do damage to the car.

Any suggestions ? I'm not looking to improve performance, just want to drop it for the look

thanks
your going to get a lot of mixed answers but personal opinion for your circumstance coilovers are not needed unless your pockets are filled with the green. Simple spring switch is perfect and yes it throws off your alignment but for 100 - 150$ you can get it fixed at any business that does alignments. It really is not going to hurt your car as long as you get the alignment.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
look into either tein h techs or s techs. the h techs will lower about 1.4 inches in the front and .7 in the rear.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lowering you're car more than an inch on non sport suspension (assuming you don't have it) will destory them in weeks. Best to pick up a new set of suspension like the tokico d specs. Also... over an inch drop will result in camber issues. The car will not be able to get back into spec unless you pick up some aftermarket camber kits (spc)

Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I had my oem sport struts on H&R springs for ~6+ months with no issues at all. 1.3F/1.2R drop. It will cause premature wear but for street driving you are ok for a while.

As for camber kits, you can get one if you want. It's not required but you will wear through tires faster.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a quick run down of your choices:

Install springs, call it a day. Downside is increased tire wear from incorrect camber/toe. Shocks will also need to be replaced sooner than usual. Ride and cornering may also suck because your alignment is all off.

Install springs and aftermarket shocks. Allows you to adjust dampening of shocks, also will last longer than stock shocks. Downside is increased tire wear from incorrect camber/toe. Ride and cornering may also suck because your alignment is all off.

Install springs, aftermarket shocks, and camber kit. Ideal and proper way to do a spring drop.

Install coilovers. Downside is increased tire wear from incorrect camber/toe. Ride and cornering may also suck because your alignment is all off. Also much more expensive than springs. Upside is height and dampening adjustability.

Install coilovers and camber kit. Ideal. No downsides, you're good to go.

That's basically the gist of it

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ well said.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome suggestions folks !!! Thats why I love forums

looks like either coilovers and camber, or springs/shocks/camber kit....

seems like both options are good, guess it will depend on the "all mighty dollar", and what they final cost will be for either option