Brake Rotors & Pads for Daily Driver - Don't need Track grade, but want Quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brakes Brake Rotors & Pads for Daily Driver - Don't need Track grade, but want Quality

Can anyone throw me some suggestions for Front Rotors and Pads for my '04 G35 AT Sedan? I don't need a crazy track set up, but I don't want garbage either. Help me find something between running to Autozone and a $3000 Racing upgrade.

Dealer tried to hit my wife for $600 for Hawk (don't know what grade) pads and unknown rotors (fronts only).

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look in the marketplace for vendor classifieds

theres always some good brake deals

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM for best single stop performance

Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by uf20wop
look in the marketplace for vendor classifieds

theres always some good brake deals

Thanks,

I did poke around in there and even sent out a few PMs... But most of what is listed in there is BBKs, Caliper upgrades, and higher end stuff.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
OEM for best single stop performance
I appreciate the response.

While I agree the OEM stuff sure did stop the car, I'm surprised to see this as a recommendation. The cost of buying OEM stuff will probably exceed many of the performace aftermarket stuff. That, and even my local dealer won't use the OEM rotors unless its a warranty claim (did that once for me early on).

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Owner

While I agree the OEM stuff sure did stop the car, I'm surprised to see this as a recommendation. The cost of buying OEM stuff will probably exceed many of the performace aftermarket stuff. That, and even my local dealer won't use the OEM rotors unless its a warranty claim (did that once for me early on).
I was very pleased with my factory OEM brakes, but I have been in cars that had aftermarket brakes and was blown away. My '07 G35 Journey Sedan will break 35k miles tomorrow on its way to Z1 Motorsports in Carrollton, GA. John is hooking me up with their stage 2 brakes with new rotors, pads, braided brake lines, oil, and installation. I will post some pics and a review when I'm done. Installed it is going to run between $850 and $950. I think the kit for everything I'm getting is around $575 if you have the tools to put it on yourself.

This is what I'm getting tomorrow:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2240

Z1 Brake Upgrade Package 350z/G35 (Base)

Z1 Motorsports stock sized brake upgrade package for 2003+ 350Z or G35 equipped with the standard base brake package.

This kit will take your stock brake system to the next level. If you are looking to upgrade your brakes but don't want to spend thousands on the many big brake kits available this is the kit for you!

This kit includes:

- ATE Super Blue Racing High Performance Brake Fluid for coping with the extreme demands posed by motor racing. Thanks to its outstanding wet boiling point, it has highest safety reserves. It is used in motor racing by leading car makes. Dry boiling point 280 degrees C (535F). Wet boiling point 200 degrees C (392F). Exceeds all DOT4 standards. 1 liter container. Super Blue High Performance Brake Fluid is standard in this pakage, however you may chose ATE 200 High Performance Brake Fluid or Motul RBF in the box below.

- All Four X Drilled and Slotted Rotors dissipate heat away from the rotors to reduce warping Zinc plated to prevent corrosion and increase life. Double disc grinding ensures parallelism. Mill balanced (withing 150 g-cm) to prevent vibration. Cross drilled to reduce weight

- Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines (All Four) Serious race car owners have used flexible brake hoses of extruded TeflonTM for decades. They are protected against abrasion and swelling by a sheath of tightly braided stainless steel wire. The resistance to "line swell" both improves the firmness or "feel" of the brake pedal and reduces the time required for effective pressure to reach the brakes and begin to slow the car.

- Hawk HPS Brake Pads (For All Four Calipers) Hawk Performance HPS pads offer 20-40% more stopping power and higher resistance to brake fade than most original equipment or standard replacement pads. This makes them more responsive and durable than most standard original brakes. Hawk HPS pads are standard, other options are available in the drop down menu below.

350Z and G35 brake upgrade packages are in stock at Z1 Motorsports ready for shipment or installation.

Please specify the year of your car below as the base brakes on the 2006+ models are larger in front. $575.00

Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I've been running R1concepts rotors with hawk hps pads for about 43k miles. I got all 4 rotors for about 140 bucks and they are still in great shape. Can't remember how much I paid for the pads but I bought them because they were highly recommended here. I'll probably try some project mu pads next. I really don't like the color of the dust the hawk pads leave.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35 Owner

no aftermarket pad/rotor combo has been shown to provide better performance than stock for the single piston front caliper brake systems. most people change because they are willing to sacrifice performance for less dusting and better wear. that is your choice, but I will still recommend oem for best performance

Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Check out Centric Premium rotors (high quality, very reasonably priced, and Centric owns Stoptech) from g35parts.com or http://www.zeckhausen.com/Infiniti/G35-1.htm. I would pair with OEM pads for best cold stopping performance. Hawk HPS pads resist fade well, but are terrible on cold stops and in the rain.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Rotor/Pad suggestion....!

There's nothing wrong with OEM rotors but I'd use HAWK HP pads because
they have twice the life of factory pads. Plus, these pads leave very little
brake dust which we all enjoy.... Give Tony a call at Riverside Infiniti
he gives Driver members great discounts on parts 1-800-919-8130.
Gary

Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I need to replace my rotors and pads too. How are those slotted and drilled rotors? any recommendations? thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by jin22gt
I need to replace my rotors and pads too. How are those slotted and drilled rotors? any recommendations? thanks
I've only had mine for 2 days now and have put about 250 miles on the car in both highway and city traffic. I do not "feel" any performance gains, but it is definitely as good as stock. The pedal does feel more responsive and tighter. Here are a couple of pics of the final product.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
No need for drilling and slotting on the street - in fact it degrades thermal handling capability with less rotor mass. Stick with solid blanks for the street, unless it's purely for the bling factor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors & Pads for Daily Driver - Don't need Track grade, but want Quality